Crossbow use?

apoallo

Vertical bows are aimed in the exact same way with a peep and sight. Vertical Bows can also utilize scopes, and also utilize triggers. Vertical bows can use rests, just like a crossbow. Crossbow "bolts" are arrows. Whats your point?

1) Vertical bows are aimed vertically , not horizontally like a crossbow regardless of the sights/scopes.

2) There are no triggers on a vertical bow . You need to shoot fingers , tab or a release .

3) bolts are bolts.....arrows are arrows. They are not interchangeable.

Back to the original poster's question about the status of the Xbow bill!!

Little more than 2 weeks before the NY legislature goes into summer recess (6/21), don't get that "warn & fuzzy" feeling they'll move on this legislation.

1) Vertical bows are aimed vertically , not horizontally like a crossbow regardless of the sights/scopes.

2) There are no triggers on a vertical bow . You need to shoot fingers , tab or a release .

Sorry, but both are aimed using 2 sight fixtures, they are aimed in the same way. Vertical and horizontal only applies to the directions the limbs go.

Most people use a release now days, they are a mechanical trigger.

Bolts are of the same exact construction as arrows, the only difference is the length and spine strength. Its an arrow. Go google around to see what a real bolt was back when they were used with the old crossbows that shot them.

Sorry my man, you can deny the truth all day long, doesnt make the denials correct.

Back to the original poster's question about the status of the Xbow bill!!

Little more than 2 weeks before the NY legislature goes into summer recess (6/21), don't get that "warn & fuzzy" feeling they'll move on this legislation.

That doesnt really matter. Dont you remember how quickly they were implemented last time? Also the DEC pushed in new regs last season that werent hammered out until the last minute. Im not worried.

You should just learn to sit back and enjoy life alittle my friend. Getting all worked up over this crossbow stuff will make people think you are an Arschloch..

is it better to stand up for what you believe in and have people look negativley upon you? Or just sit back and go with the flow because it's easier? On a much, much greater level Gandhi and MLK would disagree.

Vertical bows are aimed in the exact same way with a peep and sight. Vertical Bows can also utilize scopes, and also utilize triggers. Vertical bows can use rests, just like a crossbow. Crossbow "bolts" are arrows. Whats your point?

This has been beat to death. Both sides have their group of what is the same, and what is not the same (depending on their view of the debate).

Again, you are incorrect. Many bow hunters hunt from the ground, quite a few move while they are on the ground. Again, your point is what?

These statements are only based on someones group of friends or hunters in their town. I've never seen an official survey. Would you at least admit the majority hunt from a stand?

I wont hold my breath for him to answer it, the honest answer would derail his line of reasoning.

Its ok, its looking like this discussion wont have to continue much longer anyway. Were gonna have rifles and crossbows in Ontario county this year with a little luck. Decisions decisions.....

I think in one of our numerous threads you gave your reasoning for wanting crossbows, not because it's easier but because you felt hunters should have a choice. I think you even mentioned you'd still hunt with your compound. But this statement about rifles and crossbows from you strikes me a little odd. I'm not against increasing ones odd of success, which is why I find some of SteveB's comments hilarious (hiding ones draw) and what not. But do most of us not hunt for the challenge? Sure there are self proclaimed "meat hunters" who do it to "feed their family" but I think those that actually hunt to feed their family are 1% of hunters, and can easily shoot 2 doe or more and a buck with a gun... So why is it for you that you want it to be easier?

Sorry, but both are aimed using 2 sight fixtures, they are aimed in the same way. Vertical and horizontal only applies to the directions the limbs go.

Most people use a release now days, they are a mechanical trigger.

Bolts are of the same exact construction as arrows, the only difference is the length and spine strength. Its an arrow. Go google around to see what a real bolt was back when they were used with the old crossbows that shot them.

Sorry my man, you can deny the truth all day long, doesnt make the denials correct.

wouldn't you say it's a little easier to "aim" when one is already cocked and your release point is fixed? The other (even with a mechanical release) is much more difficult to replicate over and over without a lot of practice. Heck you could put a bipod your crossbow, autocock it and your 6 year old could take down a deer with it.

Edited by Belo

1 This has been beat to death. Both sides have their group of what is the same, and what is not the same (depending on their view of the debate).

2 These statements are only based on someones group of friends or hunters in their town. I've never seen an official survey. Would you at least admit the majority hunt from a stand?

3 I think in one of our numerous threads you gave your reasoning for wanting crossbows, not because it's easier but because you felt hunters should have a choice. I think you even mentioned you'd still hunt with your compound. But this statement about rifles and crossbows from you strikes me a little odd. I'm not against increasing ones odd of success, which is why I find some of SteveB's comments hilarious (hiding ones draw) and what not. But do most of us not hunt for the challenge? Sure there are self proclaimed "meat hunters" who do it to "feed their family" but I think those that actually hunt to feed their family are 1% of hunters, and can easily shoot 2 doe or more and a buck with a gun... So why is it for you that you want it to be easier?

4 wouldn't you say it's a little easier to "aim" when one is already cocked and your release point is fixed? The other (even with a mechanical release) is much more difficult to replicate over and over without a lot of practice. Heck you could put a bipod your crossbow, autocock it and your 6 year old could take down a deer with it.

I numbered to make it easy to answer.

1 - So what? Just because YOU say it isnt so, doesnt mean they arent facts. Prove one single one wrong.

2 - Im not going to speak for the majority, what I originally stated is a fact.

3 - Im not sure why anything I said strikes you odd. If my area includes rifles and crossbows, then Ill have to decide which one I want to pick up first. In no way am I saying Id never hunt with my compound. Im a variety type of guy. During gun season I hunt with both a muzzle loader and a shotgun, and have used a handgun in the past (hopefully again soon) hopefully I will be able to add a rifle to that list. I currently hunt with a compound during bow season, but down the road I plan to add a recurve to my collection, as well as a crossbow. It will be nice to wake up and choose which I want to take into the woods that day.

4 - You can put a bipod on a vertical bow and there are other stabilization attachments for them as well. All I said was that they are both aimed using similar sighting systems. Whats your point? Guys miss deer every day of the season with guns, dont they? You think they arent going to miss with crossbows?

Belo, you need to get past this "easier to shoot" thing when debating crossbows with me, I have never said they werent easier to shoot than a vertical bow. I have actually stated multiple times that they are, and I have no problem with that.

My release has a trigger!!! dont know bout yours

I think hunting from the ground with no blind with an xbow is a much bigger challenge than hunting from a tree stand with a compound.<br /><br />Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

+1!!!!!!

I numbered to make it easy to answer.

1 - So what? Just because YOU say it isnt so, doesnt mean they arent facts. Prove one single one wrong.

2 - Im not going to speak for the majority, what I originally stated is a fact.

3 - Im not sure why anything I said strikes you odd. If my area includes rifles and crossbows, then Ill have to decide which one I want to pick up first. In no way am I saying Id never hunt with my compound. Im a variety type of guy. During gun season I hunt with both a muzzle loader and a shotgun, and have used a handgun in the past (hopefully again soon) hopefully I will be able to add a rifle to that list. I currently hunt with a compound during bow season, but down the road I plan to add a recurve to my collection, as well as a crossbow. It will be nice to wake up and choose which I want to take into the woods that day.

4 - You can put a bipod on a vertical bow and there are other stabilization attachments for them as well. All I said was that they are both aimed using similar sighting systems. Whats your point? Guys miss deer every day of the season with guns, dont they? You think they arent going to miss with crossbows?

Belo, you need to get past this "easier to shoot" thing when debating crossbows with me, I have never said they werent easier to shoot than a vertical bow. I have actually stated multiple times that they are, and I have no problem with that.

1. You missed my point, I was only stating it has been beaten to death and that both side has valid arguments to make their view seem correct.

2. How can you possibly call it fact? Show me one survey or study done to support this as fact? Come on man... The term "many" isn't even a scientific term which could be used to call something fact. It's like saying a few, some, or most. Fact needs a finite and clear definition. Just admit that more bowhunters hunt from a tree than those that don't. Why is that so hard for you?

3. fair enough

4. The fact that you "can" put a bipod on a vertical bow doesn't mean anybody does. I've never seen one in person, on tv or recommended by anyone.

Edited by Belo

1. You missed my point, I was only stating it has been beaten to death and that both side has valid arguments to make their view seem correct.

2. How can you possibly call it fact? Show me one survey or study done to support this as fact? Come on man... The term "many" isn't even a scientific term which could be used to call something fact. It's like saying a few, some, or most. Fact needs a finite and clear definition. Just admit that more bowhunters hunt from a tree than those that don't. Why is that so hard for you?

3. fair enough

4. The fact that you "can" put a bipod on a vertical bow doesn't mean anybody does. I've never seen one in person, on tv or recommended by anyone.

1 - I guess I did.

2 - You are saying its not a fact that people hunt from the ground with a bow? You are kidding right? Or are you saying that very few do it? Id say you are wrong on that as well. I have not seen an actual study of how many do, but you have quite a few hunters that do so that frequent this very site. I wasnt speaking about what most people do. Go back and read what I said. Sheesh.

3 - cool

4 - there are stabs out there with accessory rails, all you have to do is attach a bipod or shooting stick and bam, there ya go. Im not saying a ton of people use them, I am merely saying they can be used. If people werent using them, the stabs to attach them wouldnt exist.

does it have a trigger guard and safety? could you accidentally pull the trigger while the bow rested on your lap and hurt someone or yourself while not in the act of shooting?

thats why you keep your finger BEHIND the trigger...

no since i dont have my release hooked on at that point

I would like to take a moment to clarify something. I have hunted deer with shotguns , rifles and compound bows. I also own a old recurve , crossbow and pistols. When bow season opens , I take my compound bow out. When gun season rolls around , I take out a firearm. I have no solidarity with either bow or crossbow hunters. There are plenty of days to deer hunt with different implements to use. Although I don't always agree with the DEC , I believe they do the best they can making everyone happy. If that means taking a few days from one group so another group can hunt , so be it. The DEC isn't Burger King...you can't have it your way. Personally , I couldn't care less if you still hunted past my stand/ground blind with a crossbow , compound bow , firearm or a spear gun for that matter. My original comments were about the similarities between a crossbow and gun.....nothing else. Looking back in hindsight,

maybe I should have stated that when I pick up a crossbow ,it feels like a gun but shoots like a bow. I hope I got my point across .

my point joe, is that a compound cant just "go off" resting in your lap, and like a gun, if not using proper safety precautions and care a crossbow could. They stay cocked, locked and loaded when in the stand/blind/stalking. a compound requires you take another step before "releasing" with zero potential of going off accidentally hanging in your tree or walking through the woods and all this also increasesthe chances the hunter verifies his target, simply by adding time to the process.

Edited by Belo

Are you people still going on about all this? .... lol. 

Let's face it, you can all say that crossbows are bows over and over in hopes that repetition will make it so. But the fact is that some people want to shoot crossbows, and they are determined to shove them into archery season. That's all it really boils down to. You really don't need all this ridiculous arguing over totally insignificant points. Just simply state that you aren't really all that concerned with what goes into bow season and let it go at that. You know that's really the basis for it. They did it back in the 70's with compounds and now they use that precedent to include crossbows and some time off in the future there will be something else that wants to be included in bow season and the precedents of both the compounds and crossbows will then be used to include that. What is all this nonsense that goes on everytime somebody wants to bastardize the bowseason. Let's face it everytime someone gets frustrated with the demands of becoming an archer, it is simply easier to change the groundrules and take more and more challenge out of the equipment to satisfy those that can't or won't master the weapon. This isn't the first time its been done and it won't be the last.

So instead of everybody repeating over and over all the silly arguing points, simply admit to the obvious and get out of the way of the will of the majority. Bow season will become what human nature and the search for the "easy way" wants it to become. We needn't dig out dictionaries, or go on and on and on about each little feature of each weapon. That stuff is all obviously irrelevant, silly, and a complete waste of time and a source of division and angst. It's probably time to simply give it a rest. Bow season will become what the majority wants it to become.

It wasn't that long ago many states did not allow a hunter to use a tree stand,or elevated platform . Face it change happens we may not agree with it but it happens and life goes on, this isn't banning hunting just allowing for more to participate. Embrace it and enjoy it.

Let's face it everytime someone gets frustrated with the demands of becoming an archer, it is simply easier to change the groundrules and take more and more challenge out of the equipment to satisfy those that can't or won't master the weapon. This isn't the first time its been done and it won't be the last.

well said

my point joe, is that a compound cant just "go off" resting in your lap, and like a gun, if not using proper safety precautions and care a crossbow could. They stay cocked, locked and loaded when in the stand/blind/stalking. a compound requires you take another step before "releasing" with zero potential of going off accidentally hanging in your tree or walking through the woods and all this also increasesthe chances the hunter verifies his target, simply by adding time to the process.

Uh, a gun or crossbow cant just "go off in your lap" randomly, or just hanging in the tree. Where do you get this stuff?

Are you people still going on about all this? .... lol. 

Let's face it, you can all say that crossbows are bows over and over in hopes that repetition will make it so. But the fact is that some people want to shoot crossbows, and they are determined to shove them into archery season. That's all it really boils down to. You really don't need all this ridiculous arguing over totally insignificant points. Just simply state that you aren't really all that concerned with what goes into bow season and let it go at that. You know that's really the basis for it. They did it back in the 70's with compounds and now they use that precedent to include crossbows and some time off in the future there will be something else that wants to be included in bow season and the precedents of both the compounds and crossbows will then be used to include that. What is all this nonsense that goes on everytime somebody wants to bastardize the bowseason. Let's face it everytime someone gets frustrated with the demands of becoming an archer, it is simply easier to change the groundrules and take more and more challenge out of the equipment to satisfy those that can't or won't master the weapon. This isn't the first time its been done and it won't be the last.

So instead of everybody repeating over and over all the silly arguing points, simply admit to the obvious and get out of the way of the will of the majority. Bow season will become what human nature and the search for the "easy way" wants it to become. We needn't dig out dictionaries, or go on and on and on about each little feature of each weapon. That stuff is all obviously irrelevant, silly, and a complete waste of time and a source of division and angst. It's probably time to simply give it a rest. Bow season will become what the majority wants it to become.

Did you let yourself get sucked back in Doc? :bye:

Uh, a gun or crossbow cant just "go off in your lap" randomly, or just hanging in the tree. Where do you get this stuff?

You know exactly what I meant. But in case it's too confusing, here are stats from 2012 in NYS of hunters shooting each other.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/huntingsafetystats12.pdf

a loaded crossbow has the exact same trigger mechanism as a loaded gun. And all loaded guns have trigger guards and safeties too. To think these incidents couldn't be replicated with a bolt is ignorant. I'm not trying to argue they should be banned for safety reason, simply pointing out how they are similar to guns.

And yes, we all know all of these incidents are preventable with proper care and safety practices, yet they still happen every year. Yet archers don't shoot each other or themselves; do they? (we just fall out of our trees :girlcrazy: )

Edited by Belo

What difference does it make how many hunters shoot each other with guns? If you  really look into the incidents, they are always associated with unsafe handling of the firearm. Always. You will never regulate these incidents out of existence and you will never legitimately use these stats as an argument against crossbow inclusion. Now if you were to find some stats showing that crossbow hunting incidents happen with higher frequency than vertical bow incidents, then you may have a legit argument. Good luck with that.

No matter how much you argue this, any rational person can clearly see the difference between a crossbow and a gun.

Did you let yourself get sucked back in Doc? :bye:

Yeah, every so often I have to come in here and drop off my two cents just to let everyone know I'm still alive .... lol. It's interesting to see just how long all this fighting and arguing can be kept going. It's fun to watch. Besides, there really ain't that much going on elsewhere in the forums. Might as well get in and join the mud-wrestling once in a while .... lol.

• Like 1