any tips on muzzleloader ammo for CVA users

apoallo

Thanks for the tip, though they're about a 2 hour drive west for me.. I'll ask around or even order offline if I have to. My local Home Central usually carries powder/pellets.

The problem with online ordering is the Hazmat fee, shipping is pricey. Go to the BH209 web page and look for local dealers.

I use 2-50gr. T7 pellets with a 230 gr. TC Shockwave and Winchester 209's I have cloverleafs at 100 yards out of my wolf. I am completely happy with that, with my first muzzleloader I tried a lot of different combinations of powder, bullets, and primers and could never keep it on paper. I am completely confident in my wolf with this setup.

Don't let the use of loose powder scare you.  If you practice with one of these, you can load just as fast if not faster than pellets.  I also highly recommend Powerbelts.  They are the number 1 muzzleloader bullet in the nation for a reason.

35798.jpg

• Like 1

just be sure to apply the thread lube or anti-seize stuff. I knew a guy who didn't think this was necessary and it cost him some money. It's hard enough even when it is applied. I like the glue stick mine came with.

Yes, Once thought I was going to have to put the hot wrench on that thing but did manage to get it out with the wrench they provide. I do keep the threads clean with a tooth brush and brake clean, then put a light coat of anti seize on it often......Good point.

Same here...powerbelts, blah!

Hit a deer @30 yrds. in the front shoulder with powerbelts, he never missed a step!!  That was the second shot, first shot ended up killing the deer. After discussions with a friend I tested them at the range, shot into a stack of 8" newspaper, bullet penetrated 3" into paper and I found the bullet in 3 pieces. Shot hornady 240 gr. into same set up, bullet penetrated 8" of newspaper and blew a 3" hole out the back. End of story.

I bought a nice CVA with a bergara barrel and shoot decent groups 1.5-2" at 100 yards. I never had the chance or money to sit there and play around with loads and bullets. I bought the hornady FPB (not sure if correct spelling) and I can say they they fit really tight in my barrel. Almost too tight for my liking. I pulled one out after the season and it was a pain in the @$$ and had the twist of the barrel imprinted in the round. But then again they do shoot pretty good even though I haven't compared them to anything else. I tried the white hot pellets hearing only good things about them but I would have mid fires 7/10 times so I just have them sitting here at home. Switched to the 777 pellets and like them for the ease. I shot 100gr 777 and a 350gr sabot and can't complain about much in terms of accuracy. Gets the job done good enough to where I am confident to hunt

Whew, that's a big ole' bullet Cusehunter. It might add stability when using the hot 777 powder though.

If you bumped back your bullet size to 290 or 300gr and propel that with 120gr of powder or even a magnum charge(150+gr), you may see some good results and flatter trajectory. 

sbuff- does that limit your range much and how much more hold-over is needed compared to maybe 250-300gr?

I've been shooting 250's and want to work up a  290-300 load  for a little better knock down power.

Edited by PREDATE

All my shots are under 100 yards. I doubt you will see much difference from 250-300 gr. I use 90-100gr of triple seven and a .452 300gr deep curl or .452 300gr xtp non magnum which are better for muzzle loader speeds.

As for the 460 grain bullets I site them in my white one inch high at 50 yards and that' gets me dead deer at 100 with open sites. Maybe shooting 200 yards you would need to hold over some more. I have not shot that far. Check out Doc whites site on trajectory and bc of the heavier bullets. Great reading.

• 1 year later...