New NYS Brook Trout Record

nyantler

Rick Beauchamp, of Mayfield, NY catches the new state record brook trout by catching a six-pound, 22.5-inch brookie in Silver Lake on May 16, 2013.

Beauchamp reeled in the record brookie while fishing Silver Lake in Hamilton County in the ...Adirondack's Silver Lake Wilderness. Beaucamp caught the huge trout on a lake clear wabbler and worm, weighed in at slightly more than 6 pounds, surpassing the previous state record set in 2012 by two ounces.

post-525-0-18485700-1370023627_thumb.jpg

Edited by nyantler

Cool deal!

How or who has to see or weigh a fish for it to be a state record?

Good question.. can't honestly say I know the answer to that one... but I'll find out.  One of my buddies held the record a few years back until in was broken a few weeks later.. I'll ask him.

Sooooo, is there an official weigh station or is it the honor system?  If the later, I might have to submit some of my whale tales.......<grin>

the article doesn't say whether or not the fish had an  " official"  weigh in. you would think it would have had to in order to be declared the state record. the fisherman must have quite a large hand being as his hand dwarfs the head of the fish.

The Maine state record brookie is 9.02lbs. Now how do they verify the location of the catch?

Just wondering because Maine isn't that far and they obviously have bigger brookies!

I read the criteria for the NYS angler awards and it seem as if it only needs to be weighed on a certified scale by the owner of the scale or an employee. They give mention to the fish needing to be identified by a DEC biologist, but without extensive testing how can they be 100% certain that it was caught in NYS?

Not to mention the catch and release category. All you need is a pic of the fish and you get a schnazzy catch and release award lapel pin!!!! They must owe me 50+ pins! lol