Ladies that bow hunt?

Witty

My fiancé is going to take her bow hunters safety course and hunters safety course this year. She is more interested in bow hunting/target shooting then gun hunting, so we are trying to decide on a bow to get her started with. We figure she is a 26 to 27 inch draw but we aren't sure on draw weight. I know everyone is different but I was curious on some set ups you are shooting.

I got a Diamond Razors Edge for my daughter and it is an awesome bow that she can shoot for the rest of her life if she wishes.  Unfortunately they do not make them anymore.  What replaced it is the Diamond Infinite Edge and it is a far better bow. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Diamond-Archery-Infinite-Edge-Bow-Package-mdash-Pink-Blaze/1423753.uts?productVariantId=3332431&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03576222&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=FF29EBCB-F63B-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=27491244311&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=52254398951&gclid=CIHhtLXi3rcCFUyZ4AodnnoA8Q

Check out the video at the bottom of the link

I just bought one for my son's birthday next week and I am so impressed with this bow.  Anyone can shoot it and it is very adjustable for any shooter.  And look at the price for a completely set-up bow.  All you have to buy extra are arrows and a release.

Edited by RangerClay

5 to 70lb draw weight? That's a crazy gap, makes me a little nervous.

How does that make you nervous?

My son's birthday is next week and then will get him set-up.  I will let you know how it goes.  I wish you were closer, I'd let you try it.

I would look for a good bow that she likes the feel of in a 40-50# draw weight

let her decide on the bow. It should be something that is comfortable & desirable for her to shoot

I am in the same boat my daughter wants the same bow I have the Hoyt Rampage XT

which they made  the Vicxen model just for the Ladies so I am trying to find a used one as they no longer make it.

How does that shoot whacker? I've been looking at the sidekick extreme and I like the looks of it. She actually said "that's a really pretty bow" lol it was the pink Parker sidekick extreme. Does she hunt with it?

Witty...first you need to approach this fully as a guy!...Now would you shoot a bow ...just cause it looks pretty

...Lord....Get her into a small shop with a range and tell them what she is looking to do ...experience and that she needs measuring...Let them know right now your just looking and she needs to shoot a bunch of different bows to get a feel for what is comfortable..then look for bargains after she finds one.

As far as weight...hey no one here knows her strength...but a bow with a good range 40 to 60 pounds or even 40-50#'s...

I personally started out with a 45# recurve...so going right into a compound set at 51 was not a problem...and it was set at that because I want the ability to draw and hold a good long time if need be....and that's how I practice shooting...When I bought a new bow two years ago I went with the Mission by Mathews in the Ventura..new that year and I love it!!...but injured my shoulder the day I ordered it so had them set it at it's lowest poundage...and over the summer work back up to the limit of 50 #'s...though I made them set it at 49#'s...I'm superstitious ...I've taken deer from 3yrds to pass through's at 35yrds ...with out a loss of very long trail to follow

Haha what being pretty isn't good enough? We got a good laugh about it when she said it. I've gone around to bow shops when I was looking for mine and I can't stand the pressure some of these local shops put on you to buy. Was trying to avoid that but might end up doing that. <br /><br />She's pretty strong, she's a vet assistant and wrestles dogs and goats all day that are getting shots, nails trimmed or X-rays. <br /><br />I'm looking at the Parker sidekick extreme, it has 40-60 lbs of adjustment 18-28 adjustable draw length and is shipped ready to shoot. If that doesn't work out we might go check out some bow shops.

How does that shoot whacker? I've been looking at the sidekick extreme and I like the looks of it. She actually said "that's a really pretty bow" lol it was the pink Parker sidekick extreme. Does she hunt with it?

Yes she hunts with it, she was sucessfull her very first time out a few years ago. It was set lower then but she still got a pass through. She shoot's it very well, keeps getting better every year too. Its a nice light bow, very forgiving, great beginer bow. Now she is thinking of an upgrade to different bow and 50-60 pounds which will open up the flood gates for choices (and cost). Thankfully we won't have to get her one this year because she upgraded her shot gun to a Maxus instead so she is cut off...lol

Well being ...one of the cheapest ppl on Earth...I never had a problem going into any shop and saying listen....I'm here looking...I have such and such to spend...if I find something I like ...after I'm done shopping I may be back...if you don't push me now. Just give me the help I ask for....I actually did have a couple say why don't you come back with your husband...HA!!!...I asked for the owner...pulled out a roll of hundreds and said either you...of if it was a clerk ...He just cost you this and walked out...My husband doesn't bow hunt...

Haha I sell cars for a living and I don't even put much pressure on people to buy. I get POed when people do it to me so we just try and avoid it. Thanks for all the input, I'm excited to get her involved. I know she is excited too.

Interestingly enough my fiancé is an animal lover. I never thought she would hunt. She said something to me the other day about how she sees death on almost a daily basis and she thinks she would have no problem taking an animal. I have my doubts that she understands completely what it means to take one though. We will see I suppose, hopefully she still likes it.

Razor Edge is a great bow for ladies. My wife has one and shoots it like a champ. But she won't hunt.

We had looked at those back when my wife got hers but, back then at least, you had to send back for different limbs to go up in poundage. I don't know if they still do that but it was a deal breaker for us considering other bows like the Parker didn't require that.

Witty the guy on Saratoga Lake sells Parkers, and one of the shops in Albany used to also.

Check out the mission craze.. cheap entry bow and very adjustable, making it a good reseller if she gets into it and wants to trade up in a few years. Im buying one for my wife soon.  Keep in mind, im a Hoyt shooter recommending a Matthews

Interestingly enough my fiancé is an animal lover. I never thought she would hunt. She said something to me the other day about how she sees death on almost a daily basis and she thinks she would have no problem taking an animal. I have my doubts that she understands completely what it means to take one though. We will see I suppose, hopefully she still likes it.

If she doesn't want to hunt, get her into 3D.  A female friend of mine won her class at the Rhinehart 100.  There are all sorts of leagues out there.  Travel and do competition.  My wife would never go so I got my kids involved.

Those that hunt, what arrows and boardheads are you using?

CX Piledriver Hunters in 250 size with a 75 grain 3 blade Muzzy. Eventualy she will use the 100 grainer's when all the 75's we have are used up. Mostly because it's easier to find 100's and replacement blades.