Property being logged

Well some good news, had a good chat with the operator. The drive path mud is being taken care of, in fact I can get through with the Jeep to camp n/p. He's also up for some extra work before they pack up including a little plot clearing and main trail repair. The bad news for now I can't get back to the plot area with the Jeep from camp. I will have to rethink-plan the plot work, maybe even put it off untill next year. Bought a few bags of clover/chicory mix hope it'll stay good. I mean even if the job is done by end of month I still have prep work and I don't thinkit leaves much grow time for a perennial, still have to tend to the winter rye plots near labor day. So might wind up leaving a 1/2 acre dry - might have time to get the tiller on it. </end babble>

post-4-0-71654700-1373249052_thumb.jpg

A cut area - pics tken standing on a stump facing west/east. Prior to the cut it was thick and hard to see through.

post-4-0-46030300-1373249075_thumb.jpgpost-4-0-86051200-1373249086_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fantail

• 2 weeks later...

Things are progressing - still lots of mud but not as bad as last week. Sunday as I was going back to the plots to get some work done I bumped a buck, had to be 4 at least he was moving out of the cut areas. One cam showed a few smaller deer & does at night. Allot more light getting to the ground. Next update I'll get some more pics of that. This weekend concentrated on plot work, can get the tiller, wheel barrel back there but the main trail is under - repair. Some of the path is passable by jeep, some is not. On the plus side the Ariens back from the shop is running good. Trying to time the tilling work around this job, one or two spots that were opened up including about a 1/4 acre of cross/logging trail that has good light to it now,I don't think I'll have time to get to this year.

post-4-0-30192700-1374502664_thumb.jpg

(taken last week- time on cam is obviously wrong)

post-4-0-95974900-1374502638_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-54938800-1374502657_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

7.31 update

About a week remains on the job - so much for the 2-3 week time frame. Skidder busted a universal or something, not to serious as it's being fixed on site. Staging area is quite muddy, to be expected but I'd rather have that mess there instead of back on the property. Weeds will grow back in a year. Drive-path into camp goes right by it, that'll be smoothed out - there is decent hard ground under it. Finished up on expanded plot now that the traffic is done there, hope to finish up replanting the other main clover plot within a week - a small area in front & behind that plot is getting some clearing work done with the skidder to expand it next year. Then there's the winter rye plots coming up.

post-4-0-76106600-1375275756_thumb.jpg

Stretch plot expanded and planted.

post-4-0-20207400-1375275854_thumb.jpg

An area close to the finished plot, project for next year.

post-4-0-51695900-1375275988_thumb.jpg

Stand near a marsh-swampy area - skidder made a nice new path or two to the left of the stand that winds in back getting into the far corner. This is the stand I took last years buck from. Standing in part of the winter rye plot taking the pic.

looks good! you wont regret having it done for sure!! I am surprised that so many people are afraid they will leave tops? theyare a good thing protecting young regrowth from being browsed and if ther are removed should be cut up in place to prevent libs from scaring trees on way out. And they can be used to make a natural fence is all pushed to one side of cut, making deer travel more patterenable and predictable!!!

Also after the other clover/chicory plot is done I have an idea - I'd like to know if anyone thinks i'm off my rocker on this. And I think it should get done the same time I get the annuals in - usually just before or around labor day. There is the main path getting back to the plots the skidder was using. This is about 5-6 yards wide by about 300 yards in length. So what would that be in acreage I have no idea - but it is slated to be smoothed out at job's end enough to make it passable into next year. Briefly - the work and use has created allot of mud on the main path. The whole job has opened up a decentl amount of sunlight to that path - that path I won't be able to use the Jeep on until it dries out / settles into next year. So - - - I thought why not use the seed spreader and put down an annual onto it? It would make use of it until next year and maybe help dry it up. Btw I'll have about the same amount of new plotable areas in 2-3 sections elsewhere for next year once I can make use of the path again. That is ontop of other areas cleared by the logging, but most of that is better suited for trees etc. 

Anyhow - I thought of a bag or two of forage oats - or more winter rye.

Edited by Fantail

virgil; This job did not cost me except for a little extra clearing work outside of the contract. I don't mean to be vague but I don't think it would be proper to discuss contract details. Property size, what it holds, etc., can all be different. I will say this, if the property in question holds allot of soft maple i doubt anyone will be rolling in greenbacks when the job is done. Finding a good logger with his own equipment including a cutting truck/setup is key. Then again I don't know sometimes people just want to get property cleared.

grow; that is very useful, thank you. Enough for 1/2 acre then should do the job. I think a little over-seeding wouldn't hurt up there.

Looks good!!!  Hope everything keeps going your way Fantail, including the big bucks that will now frequent your area!!!  Very nice.  Need any help logging some of those bucks let me know!  LOL

Nice work, I am sure you will see good results.

Also just had my small piece logged. Guys did a great job, they took some larch for the amish, some cherry and ash saw logs for the mill and plenty of firewood. They put a great road system in for me that lets me sneak around property with a road to bottom and a cutover road 1/2 way up hill. Just planted some turnips in the log landing, and also threw some seed down on the road system and area where larch was removed. We kept all tops and had my the logging crew create natural top fence to create funnel. Plenty of tops for deer and bear to hide in. Can't wait to see area grow up in the next couple years.

post-3016-0-33751300-1375665926_thumb.jppost-3016-0-69792700-1375665929_thumb.jppost-3016-0-71314600-1375665933_thumb.jppost-3016-0-65134100-1375665936_thumb.jppost-3016-0-99825300-1375665938_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Those pics look good. Good lanes & clearing. Already passable by 4x4. That's impressive.

Your property must be higher elevation - in a dryer area, I still have mud in the lower parts & paths etc. And I don't expect to be able to drive on them until next year. So I've had to plan the plot work around that. I have the tiller parked and locked to a tree back by the plots, along with some hand tools with a tarp & bungee cord cover.

First up - the date on the cam is wrong, and I don't care at least it works. But if anyone is intersted notice the day number and then the time. I have tracks in and out of the place, the deer don't seem to bug out just because the work is going on. Thought that was important to illustrate as alot of people including myself thought logging activity will spook deer out of the area.

post-4-0-89907200-1376268360_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-24049200-1376268377_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fantail

deer seem to be attracted to logging , especially in winter. watched a doe and one of her off spring watch us cut trees last winter , and start browsing on the top as we were cutting up the trunk for firwood. less than 40' fromm the running chainsaw.

Two things right off the bat; I seem to have strained/sprained my right elbow. If I put any weight or pull on it - yeah. This is going to affect finish up plantings & time, other projects at camp not to mention bow practice. Also while the logging is done on my property the landing is still being used for about another week. I have agreed to that so my neighbor can get some logging finished up on his side.

Shots from the stand - expanded areas next to one of the clover/chicory plots. Went over them best I could with a steel rake after they were cleared and I clipped allot of exposed roots with the ratcheting sheers. I'm sure that didn't help the elbow. But now, the plan is drop an annual in them until next year. Avg ph is 5.8 - you all might think I'm off my rocker but since these are woodland plots not huge fields I'm planning to drop a few tons of topsoil on these next year.

post-4-0-78759600-1376924548_thumb.jpg post-4-0-99495400-1376924634_thumb.jpg

Stretch plot expanded a bit.

post-4-0-18672300-1376924670_thumb.jpg post-4-0-60825400-1376924686_thumb.jpg

Expanded plot area that sort of tee's up against one of the clover plots - planned annual again for this year.

post-4-0-14740500-1376924715_thumb.jpg

Standing close to where another stand is, a new path covering the left side of a marsh. And a new path up onto the right side.

post-4-0-16448300-1376924748_thumb.jpg post-4-0-54393800-1376924767_thumb.jpg

Do deer use these? Im no detective but...

post-4-0-91384100-1376924794_thumb.jpg post-4-0-07714600-1376924826_thumb.jpg

Bunch of paths cleared up - could be planted, not sure I can get to them this year.

post-4-0-18823600-1376924887_thumb.jpg post-4-0-17713700-1376924935_thumb.jpg

The muddy areas smoothed out for the most part. Loger used the skidder and grabbed some dirt off the sides - it's drying up now can walk on most of it - up close it looks like some sort of lava flow.

post-4-0-05423700-1376924980_thumb.jpg

An finally (for this post) here's an area among many now on the property that gets lots of light, and where the skidder went through leaving a shallow trench of sorts. The plan is - for next year - utilize spots like this to plant a dozen or so apple trees, maybe some hazelnut etc. Plenty of dirt to slice off, chop up and use to bury them planting up to pouch level. Beats the dog snot out of trying to dig in the ground up there. Pic shows two cherry trees.

post-4-0-57859200-1376925013_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My buddy has to have his property logged soon , he was saying to not let the loggers pick which trees go . Is this true? He said you need to have somebody come in first and mark the trees that will be beneficial to be removed for the property ,not the loggers take. Have you guys come across the same info ?

My buddy has to have his property logged soon , he was saying to not let the loggers pick which trees go . Is this true? He said you need to have somebody come in first and mark the trees that will be beneficial to be removed for the property ,not the loggers take. Have you guys come across the same info ?

Whatever you do, please have your friend contact a reputable forester contractor. For a small percentage of the proceeds ( 5 to 7%) you get the forester to field survey the property in question, mark the trees, set up the property for logging companies to tour the property and solicit bids from the loggers. I may be missing a step here or there, but this has been our experience when having our property logged. To let someone just come in without the proper guidance is a recipe for disaster.

Whatever you do, please have your friend contact a reputable forester contractor. For a small percentage of the proceeds ( 5 to 7%) you get the forester to field survey the property in question, mark the trees, set up the property for logging companies to tour the property and solicit bids from the loggers. I may be missing a step here or there, but this has been our experience when having our property logged. To let someone just come in without the proper guidance is a recipe for disaster

That answers my question , he said to never let the logger decide which trees go or stay.