Any ex cops or judges on here ?

carloracer1987

I got a ticket for unregistered vehicle, As I was towing my 8x10 homemade trailer, I had my fourwheeler on it and was on my way to go riding. Is this the right fine for my situation ? It is section 4011a- Unregistered motor vehicle. I know I should have just put the atv in the bed of my truck but I didn't have ramps and I was only going 3 miles away. Can anyone tell me if this is correct ? Also he misspelled the name of the road wrong but I don't think that can help me any.

It was the trailer that was unregistered

yes, the trailer needs to be registered........unless it's under a certain size and the towing vehicles lights are visible, I would suggest to plead not guilty and register it asap, the judge may take that into consideration and reduce the fine and maybe even throw it out

yes, the trailer needs to be registered........unless it's under a certain size and the towing vehicles lights are visible, I would suggest to plead not guilty and register it asap, the judge may take that into consideration and reduce the fine and maybe even throw it out

I said this to the cop and he said that no matter what size it must have tow lights. And im not looking for an excuse I plan I knew it was illegal and I drove it. Im looking to make sure what he charged me with is correct. Thanks so far everyone

unregistered motor vehicle (ATV included) would be 401-1a. That is correct. It applies to any motor vehicle, whether it is being towed, driven or parked on a public roadway. As long as it is on a public road you can be ticketed for it. 

Plea not guilty with the judge and he will reschedule your court date on DA night, or ask to plea with a DA.  That is if you have a clean license, you will need to go to the DMV and get an abstract of your license to show the DA you have a clean licens,  if so the DA might reduce it to a non moving violation.  Also get it registered and show proof to help in your request.  If you got points on your license your chances are slim for a plea bargain. 

I have a pretty clean record my last ticket was when I was 17 and that was a speeding ticket, its been over 3 years. I just want to do the best I can to get it reduced, considering it was june 30th, funny the last day of the month, trying to meet quota probably. But the whole situation was just weird, he had his hazard lights on so I went into the other lane (no traffic) and as soon as I passed he speed up right onto my bumper of the trailer. Then he wouldn't even come to my window he stood back a few feet behind my driver door, I only saw him through my mirror. Take in mind this is a country back road with house's around. I'm going to go to and plea not guilty and try to get everything taken care of, Atleast its not a huge issue !

I said this to the cop and he said that no matter what size it must have tow lights. And im not looking for an excuse I plan I knew it was illegal and I drove it. Im looking to make sure what he charged me with is correct. Thanks so far everyone

Yes, that sounds correct. I got one once for a trailer I had just purchased and was taking home. The judge tossed it, but only because i had the receipt with the date on it.

I have a pretty clean record my last ticket was when I was 17 and that was a speeding ticket, its been over 3 years. I just want to do the best I can to get it reduced, considering it was june 30th, funny the last day of the month, trying to meet quota probably. But the whole situation was just weird, he had his hazard lights on so I went into the other lane (no traffic) and as soon as I passed he speed up right onto my bumper of the trailer. Then he wouldn't even come to my window he stood back a few feet behind my driver door, I only saw him through my mirror. Take in mind this is a country back road with house's around. I'm going to go to and plea not guilty and try to get everything taken care of, Atleast its not a huge issue !

So your 20 years old and haven't got a ticket in 3 years?  That's pretty good.

Pay the fine & move on..............................................

• Like 2

There are no points on this ticket and the DA really has no where else to reduce this ticket to. The court may dismiss it... but the judge has no authority to toss the ticket under NY state Law. Getting it registered prior may help but the registrations as a rule run out the end of the year so if that's the case you have had 6 months free for not registering it. The is a $85 surcharge on it and I believe up to $ 200 fine with a $25 minimum. Alot of times the officer will issue this in lieu of a speeding ticket if the situation exists. This is a non moving violation.

It was the town of Enfield over on halseyville road. Im 21 and only have one ticket, I know its not a ton of driving experience but the past 3 years I've put over 100,000 miles on my vehicles ( a lot of travel for work as a construction worker) Beats some of my friends with pleanty of tickets. I know the judge isn't bad, as she dropped my first ticket which was ironically the same cop on the same road 3 years ago. But Im in progress of getting it registered and inspected.

cops rarely walk right up to your window anymore, always seen em approach just as you said, staying slightly behind the driver( tougher for a bad guy to shoot at that direction)    you passed him and saw no tags on the trailer, easy ticket for him, go pay it and register the trailer

I had a weird experience once involving a 4 wheeler and trailer.  After towing it home from hunting camp one year I backed up to the garage to unload the 4 wheeler.  Dropped the gate, jumped on the 4 wheeler and backed it off the trailer, at the same time a trooper was driving by.  He made a u-turn and pulled in my driveway.  I was stumped to why, he got out and proceeded to tell me he was going to issue me a ticket for failure to wear a helmet while operating an atv.  I was shocked, so my usual smart azz self pulled my cell out of my pocket and acted like I was making a phone call.  The trooper asked who I was calling and I say the police, he looked at me pretty oddly and said why?  I told him he was on private property and was trespassing. He said have a nice day and left.  Odd story but it is a true one. 

• Like 4