woolys 2013 summer longshots..

wooly

I sure wish I could get closer to these guys for some quality shots, but I can't risk it at this point of the season. I tried another sit last night but between the farmer spreading crap, a hot air balloon, and a small airplane doing aerial loops, there were only a few small bucks that showed up.

I did get the Moultrie to catch it's first vid of a small 6'er. I guess it does lose quite a bit of quality in video mode compared to the sweet pics it takes. It does take one pic before recording video, so that's nice for a little sneak preview of what it's captured that I can view in the field on my camera before loading the vid at home.

Here's the triggering pic it took..

PICT0021_zps6dd60bf2.jpg

...and the corresponding vid clip. If you listen real close, you can hear him chomping on apples along the edge. I'll get some more pics loaded later tonight.

th_PICT0020_zps28b03b32.jpg

Edited by wooly

• 10 months later...

How about a 2014 summer long shot session?

That field has been an absolute BUST so far this summer from my usual observation post. Everything I've seen so far has been near 3/4 to a mile away where I'm forbidden to go. I haven't seen anything of much size up there yet either.

I haven't had the time to put into it like I usually do, but eventually once activity picks up and these deer spread out a bit towards the end of the month, I'll get back after them and get a few shots up from my evening sits.

Instead of starting a new topic for 2014 bucks, I'll just add them here because I don't know how much time I'll be able to dedicate to this.

I shot out last night to try to find some deer across the road. Bumped a few doe with fawns and could only find two bucks.

I think there all hiding in the tall grass right now. Caught this guy watching me walk the mowed field edge.

DSC_0041_filtered_zps67b9d0f6.jpg

DSC_0042_zps410c4dc6.jpg

I cut through a hedgerow that seperates the hay from the corn when I spotted this guy moseying along.

DSC_0048_filtered_zps7291142b.jpg

DSC_0052_zpsb0d987f4.jpg

DSC_0053_zps631c484a.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys!

I ran out for a morning hike today and decided to do some "jump shooting" in the goldenrod.
You'll never guess who I walked right up on, and he wasn't very jumpy!

DSC_0068_filtered_zps5c5c22db.jpg

DSC_0069_filtered_zpsc484f7d7.jpg

DSC_0070_filtered_zpse980db17.jpg

I saw two other nice bucks and a few doe. Couldn't get a bead on any of them though.

• Like 5

Sat the field edge tonight but only had two bucks pop out of the corn.

Both youngsters, but I was happy to see "Bam-Bam" still has his club horn hanging on!

I can't believe how dead it is up there this year.

DSC_0131_zps223a9a27.jpg

DSC_0136_zpse59c087c.jpg

DSC_0148_zps6473303f.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I added any pics here.

Been pretty slow, but last night may have been the turning point as the field filled up with over 20 deer.... 15 of which were bucks!

I had another mishap with the DSLR camera while hanging a treestand the other day, so it's probably taken its last photo.

DSCN1419_zps9a6c7ab6.jpg

Here's a few I got before the big fall..

DSC_0013_zps07f5268d.jpg

DSC_0008_zps3e170267.jpg

This looks like a pretty sweet 8pt, but I haven't had him close enough yet to know for sure.

DSC_0001_zps6439b6eb.jpg

So now I'm back to shooting my little Nikon Coolpix point and shoot. It's not quite the same, but it will have to do.

At least it shoots some decent video as well, but it's not much good at the long range stuff..

Here's a few from last night.

This first shot is the first hard horned bucks I've seen this year!. They were the last to show up just before dark last night.

I had to leave early, because the bucks began working their way across the field to where I was.

DSCN1453_zpsac396da6.jpg

...and here's a few more that haven't shed the fuzz yet as of 8/29.

DSCN1439_zps080fe1af.jpg

DSCN1429_zps7e238a27.jpg

• Like 4