Why is it

Woodjr55

I have to admit, as a landowner, I definitely had second thoughts about rifles in Ontario County. I didn't come out on the side of rifles for deer hunting very easily. I think there is enough info on the pro-rifle side to at least allow a trial period. I have to agree that those that will hunt irresponsibly will do so regardless of what kind of weapon they have in their hands. The only question is whether that irresponsibility can have its effects extended in distance because of rifles. There is also a question as to whether rifles will be promoting much longer shots where visibility into the background gets limited by distance. I don't have any answers or even predictions on those concerns so,I am enthusiastically on the side of the rifles and say that we have to wait and see. I will say this, if there is even one incident, especially one that injures or kills a non-hunter. We are likely to see a very fast reversal on this law

But that isn't what you asked. I think the real question is how did rifles get allowed for varmints but not deer. I am not even sure that the rifles-for-varmints law is a legislatively controlled ruling. Chances are pretty good that when the varmint hunting laws were first conceived, it was just automatically assumed that hunters would have to use rifles in order to be effective. So why is the fate of rifles for deer hunting legislatively controlled. The more I find out about conservation law, the more inconsistencies I see.

But here's some random thoughts:

Deer hunting is done with a very dense hunter population as compared to varmint hunting.

That means that deer hunting is a highly visible activity and gets a whole lot more attention.

Deer hunters have been villainized by the public mostly because of actions of some hunters

and because of public imagination. So they're not too interested in promoting longer shots.

People automatically assume deer rifles are some kind of mega-powered weapon that fires

bullets that can't be stopped.

People feel that shotguns are 50 yard weapons and that a slug simply falls to the ground so

they are very safe. 

When it comes to rifles for varmints, people really don't even think about that, and are not

even aware of the activity.

It is just political foolishness. Last time I check, you can use a rifle anywhere you want in PA for deer. Now I know is it south of NY and they do crazy things down in the south but i beleive they have suburbs and hunting is allowed "close" to homes. havent heard but do that have a higher number of "accident"?

Just be smart and safe with whatever weapon you chose, and enjoy your hunt while you let me enjoy mine.

Ever try sneaking up to blast a groundhog with a shotgun?  Bet they move away or crawl down a hole before you get in range with the shotgun.  Much easier to take them with a rifle from 50 yards +.  They tend to be ground shots and not shots parallel to the ground, like deer hunting, which increases the safety.

Similar deal to take care of coyotes going for the chickens, ducks, or other small farm animals.

Taking long shots at coyotes and groundhog would otherwise mean using a slug gun, like a H&R 20ga magnum rifled heavy barrel with scope set for 100 yards.  The cost using of those sabot rounds on them will eat away at funding your deer/bear season (assuming you have a ground hog/coyote problem on your property).

I just don't get using a rifle on squirrels, especially when they are sitting on a tree limb.  Where does that 22 or .17 round drop?