Basic Hunting Gear for Suffolk County

Being new to hunting I am trying to get all the essentials ready for the upcoming season.  I have a pretty good idea of gear but I could use some more direction in terms of appropriate clothing/camo for deer hunting suffolk.  I plan to use treestands and ground blinds.  How much in the way of clothing do i need for my first season?  Pics of your setups or links to gear would be a big help.  Thanks!

I was going to answer exactly like jb.. Ticks are a problem. Use spray and dress as recommended to keep ticks off your skin.

I always built my ground blinds when scouting, and put camo cloth over the blind and sat in a small camp chair with a back(for comfort). I had to practice shooting from the chair though.

It would do you good to get a few sets of camo. Lightweight, medium, and heavyweight. I really like fleece because it's not noisy.  Good warm boots and gloves are a must. I have a pair of Baffins that are about $40 from sportsmans guide. They're pretty good boots for the price. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/swamp-boots-by-baffin.aspx?a=467770

• Like 1

my advice, if you're going to be hunting State Land is, concentrate on Oct 1st to Nov 1st..........between those dates you don't have to deal with the check in process.......after Nov 1st it becomes a big hassle as far as I'm concerned.........and you need to have access and parking permits, so take care of that ahead of time.

Last year I don't think they started the check in process until mid November. I remember seeing a sign at one of the parking spots saying so. Hopefully they will do the same this year so you don't have to worry about checking in and out during the best part of the season.

John

Last year I don't think they started the check in process until mid November. I remember seeing a sign at one of the parking spots saying so. Hopefully they will do the same this year so you don't have to worry about checking in and out during the best part of the season.

John

that was due to the hurricane, the usual check in process starts Nov 1st.

• Like 1

Born and raised on L.I. And hunted there for 50 + years, Wore Blaze Orange most of the time and got pleanty of deer, rabits, phesants. Camo became popular after the Korean War because they were giving old military clothing away. If I were to buy new hunting clothing it would be the red and black camo pattern, You wife and children will thank you if you are married, At least wear a Orange hat when walking around.The deer cannot tell what you are wearing, It is Movement and Odor that they pick out. If you do not plan on adding a lot of weight( to your body ) spend the money on better quality clothing. Cotton for the warmer days, and Wool  with a wind block material for the cold days up in a tree stand.That fleece stuff litlery stinks when it absorbs your sweat, Under armor undies also, look for polyproplyne under garments,     

Tick proofing yourself is a must...  Lyme is no joke... 

Considering that you will be in a blind or stand and its your 1st year you do not need to spend a lot on clothes.  Use existing clothes as your base layer(As long as they are scent free, or clean them...)  then get an outer layer for your camo.  A extra large long sleeve shirt can go over existing clothes for camo.  As you progress in the sport each year you can get more clothes... 

Otherwise these are some of my experiences with clothes.  You get what you paid for.  Stay away from 100% cotton and invest in good socks if you like to hike far... Boots as well (Cotton is ok on dry warm days...) .  Suits are great for warmth but suck when its time to go to the bathroom...  Bibs are great and the jackets on the market with all the layers they provide are amazing but expensive. 

I usually have a day pack when ever I hunt even on LI with the bow.  I usually do not wear rain gear but keep them in my pack.  Dicks sporting goods has camo jeans 40$ I use light camo tops 10-30$ and the camo rain gear 100$.  I usually dress in layers.  Plain and simple it keeps you warm and keeps the bugs out...  I use to use fleece, now polypropylene .  Polypropylene for base layer Gore-Tex outer when in extremely harsh conditions up north.  So many different fabrics on the market, many have a type of blend of cotton or spandex or silk.  As you progress you will find out what you need.  Each fabric has its advantages and are pretty amazing compared to what we use to use.

Base sock, Under armor, polypropylene,  cotton sock goes over sweat pants, T- shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, jeans, hat.  All layers sprayed with repellant except for base layer and under armor.  (Including rain gear)  If it is early season tape your ankles and wrists to help keep out the bugs.

PS: I was to afraid of the ticks to hunt before a good frost, (On LI) started in December and a few days I was way to hot but would not loose a layers of protection out of fear...  Lyme scares me...  After using the permethrin for chiggers and ticks I was satisfied with the results, just not sure I want to risk early season but I think I will try it this year seeing how effective clothes treatment works...

Check your local sporting stores for sales, that is how I get my basic layers...  I still have a Gore-Tex suit from 1989!  Comes out in the worst rain/snow then back to rain days...  Good luck! 

I still have a cotton suit that is reversible camo, one is snow, nice but bad in rain.  That's when the rains suits come into play...

PS: Thanks Mom and Dad for that Gore-Tex suit 20 plus years later I still use it... 

Doc I will be bowhunting and maybe shotgun hunting since i have availability to both.  If i don't score with the bow maybe ill have better luck with the gun.  I know that especially for bowhunting i need clothes that won't make noise and give away my position, i just wanted to hear from you guys with what works and what color camo you use primarily.  Any tick blocking tips would be great because I do not want to get Lyme disease.

As for camo color,  there are so many patterns so go hog wild and choose what you like and what will blend with the areas you're hunting. During early bow season there is more foliage on the ground and trees, so something with a leafy pattern would suffice (Realtree Xtra)http://www.realtree.com/camo/realtree-camo-patterns/realtree-xtra-camo. I also personally never hunt without a facemask and gloves. Sitting motionless is very important, so being comfortable is equally important.

For ticks, pull your socks over your pants, tuck in your under shirt, maybe get a camo shirt with elastic in the wrists, etc. I've heard of treating clothing with permethrin, but I don't care for chemicals. Permethrin is highly toxic to aquatic life and cats. Not supposed to be harmful to humans, but I'm not chancing it.

As for camo color,  there are so many patterns so go hog wild and choose what you like and what will blend with the areas you're hunting. During early bow season there is more foliage on the ground and trees, so something with a leafy pattern would suffice (Realtree Xtra)http://www.realtree.com/camo/realtree-camo-patterns/realtree-xtra-camo. I also personally never hunt without a facemask and gloves. Sitting motionless is very important, so being comfortable is equally important.

For ticks, pull your socks over your pants, tuck in your under shirt, maybe get a camo shirt with elastic in the wrists, etc. I've heard of treating clothing with permethrin, but I don't care for chemicals. Permethrin is highly toxic to aquatic life and cats. Not supposed to be harmful to humans, but I'm not chancing it.

i was also thinking of using camo tape over socks and pant area to seal it.  Should i worry about ticks burrowing into crevaces in boots?  I heard of using dryer cloths to help repel ticks but i will also use the permethrin since i dont have cats.   I am also worried about tracking ticks into my car after the hunt....is there any way to shake em after everything is said and done?

Wear gloves and a face mask.  I wear a camo jacket (a light jacket will more green foliage and a thicker browner one for when it's colder.)  My pants are military digital camo my bro gets me from the army.  I spray myself with some odor killer, bug spray, but mainly I play the wind.

Keep in mind the deer are for the most part color blind so as long as you break up your pattern, you find.  Imagine watching a bunch of grey static and all of a sudden you see this big white blot in the shape of a human being.  Or gray static but a white circle (your face) and 2 white hands floating in the air.  That's sort of what the deer is seeing if you don't break up the pattern.  Deer are also designed to pick up the slightest movement so stay still.

The permethrin should repel them, though I'm not sold on the "odorless" quality of it. Maybe to us, but a deer can smell things that we can't.

If you do get a tick attached to you just grab it as close to your skin as possible with pointed tweezers and slowly but steadily pull it off. Don't put heat, petroleum jelly, or anything on them, this makes the regurgitate into your skin which is how lymes is transmitted. I've had many(20+) ticks in the past 2-3 years and have had no problems.

Lord of war, as far as the ticks there are a lot of good answers here. in all likelihood you are going to want to take a multi layered approach to it. Permithrin on cloathes. Always long sleeves and pants. Do tick checks often while afield to remove them from outer garment. I often get changed out of my woods clothes at the car before driving home. When u get home you can hang clothes outside so ticks come off. Or put them in drier on high to kill them. Head to toe body check for ticks when u get home.

Also, I wear highj rubber boots and tape my boots to my pants where they meet. As someone mentioned there are chiggers and they suck. They wuill get thru your socks.

All this may sound like a drag. And it is. But the idea of either not hunting or having to drive upstate everytime we want to hunt is more of a drag.

As you get used to it, all this "tickproofing" stuff becomes routine and you won't have to obsess about it. Been hunt LI for about 23 years. Have only pulled 3 out of me and never got lymes. Nock on wood.

Lord of war, as far as the ticks there are a lot of good answers here. in all likelihood you are going to want to take a multi layered approach to it. Permithrin on cloathes. Always long sleeves and pants. Do tick checks often while afield to remove them from outer garment. I often get changed out of my woods clothes at the car before driving home. When u get home you can hang clothes outside so ticks come off. Or put them in drier on high to kill them. Head to toe body check for ticks when u get home.

Also, I wear highj rubber boots and tape my boots to my pants where they meet. As someone mentioned there are chiggers and they suck. They wuill get thru your socks.

All this may sound like a drag. And it is. But the idea of either not hunting or having to drive upstate everytime we want to hunt is more of a drag.

As you get used to it, all this "tickproofing" stuff becomes routine and you won't have to obsess about it. Been hunt LI for about 23 years. Have only pulled 3 out of me and never got lymes. Nock on wood.

Oh I should mention that I haven't made the leap of faith to use permothrin on my actual hunting clothes. I treat my scouting clothes. I will admit that I can't smell the stuff but deer are amazing animals. And I don't trust it yet.

Aside from clothes and ticks, the bigger challenge on LI can be getting used to other hunters, their desires for your chain on stands, antis leaving notes on your car, 4 wheelers speeding around, etc. I'm not joking. There is a mental adjustment.

Also assuming u want to hunt from a tree, for public lands you will need a climbing stand as chain ons are not allowed.

get a plastic bin for your hunting clothes.  change into and out of your gear at your hunting site to avoid wearing your hunting clothes in the car and potentially bringning ticks into the car.  this will also help with scent control.

get a plastic bin for your hunting clothes.  change into and out of your gear at your hunting site to avoid wearing your hunting clothes in the car and potentially bringning ticks into the car.  this will also help with scent control.

Good idea.

As for tree stand I was thinking of a self climbing stand so I could take it with me coming or going.  Any thoughts?  Do I need to worry about my car being vandalized by PETA geeks?