300 win mag

fadetoblack188

Too much gun.....and you hunt with a 45-70? lol! 

Find what fits you and your comfortable with. get some time behind the trigger, then go enjoy your hunt!

And here is the funny part...I don't feel the recoil is all that bad out of the .300. Shooting 180 grainers out of a Ruger 77, my handloads...off the top of my head I cant quote the exact load, but it is in the upper 25% of capability. The 45-70...I load a 350 Hornady at about 2100 fps out of a telephone pole of a Browning single shot. The 350 is lighter than what most like, but it works dang fine. What I like about it as opposed to the .300 is that it has sure fire penetration with very little collateral damage...much like what I like about the round ball out of a muzzleloader. For me, it is a specialized close range (75 yards or less, usually) bear banger. And lets face it...it has a hell of a lot more personality than the other.
  • Like 1

I started with a 30-06 that I still use, Savage model 110.  That was enough gun for me with federal high shock 165 sierra bow tails and 1/2 inch groups at 50-100.

Used a 308 semi-auto then a Winchester 44 mag.  Going classical this year with a 30-30 in Winchester.

300 WM is a bit much for NY if you can take game with a 44 Mag.  But if long range is your thing and you have the area for it...  That can really reach out and touch them...  I would still use my 30-06 for up to 450 yards...  Long range just seems a little impersonal to me and I like to get up close and personal!  That gun would feel like a anchor on a long hike!

And here is the funny part...I don't feel the recoil is all that bad out of the .300. Shooting 180 grainers out of a Ruger 77, my handloads...off the top of my head I cant quote the exact load, but it is in the upper 25% of capability. The 45-70...I load a 350 Hornady at about 2100 fps out of a telephone pole of a Browning single shot. The 350 is lighter than what most like, but it works dang fine. What I like about it as opposed to the .300 is that it has sure fire penetration with very little collateral damage...much like what I like about the round ball out of a muzzleloader. For me, it is a specialized close range (75 yards or less, usually) bear banger. And lets face it...it has a hell of a lot more personality than the other.

personaliity it does have! The best trait is the critter falls down....period. I hunt mostly state land and lost several deer do to them wandering off on to private property. so I bought an h&r in 45-70. have only used federal 300gr and 4 deer never made 2 steps much less the boundary line. I bought dies when i bought the gun but im still on my first box of shells, so i havent explored the possibilities yet. My other favorite is an old ruger carbine in 44mag i picked up a couple of years after i bought the h&r. That i do load for, 240gr xtps and has a similar effect, deer drop on the spot. i prefer the ruger over the h&r because its more compact and fits me better, and i believe that has more impact on handling recoil then the cartridge your shooting. 

look a 270 WSM, the Browning X Bolt is really nice!!!  Wish I had one.  300's do a ton of meat destruction.  The 270 will knock over anything (except brown bear) on the continent and not tear up a ton of good cuts.  It's super long range.  Sold my 300 for just that reason.    

The 270. would be able to knock a brown over with the right shot it shouldn't be a problem.  Its dam near the same thing as a 30-06 just necked down a hair. Power is still there.

The .300 mags ARE a viable all around medium to big game cartridge for folks who can handle the extra recoil and muzzle blast..

To me and a lot of other folks, they are neither fish nor fowl..

They are overkill for medium game like deer, antelope and caribou, and for really big stuff like grizzlies, moose and elk, there are better choices that handle heavier bullets.

I'll stick with the .270,.280, 7mm08, .308,30-06 group for deer sized stuff and use something like the .35 Whelen, .338 Win mag or 9.3 x 62 for southbound shots on northbound elk or for something that can EAT me if I don't kill it with the first shot.

Never too much of a round in my opinion. .300 win is a fantastic round. Please look at a .300wsm instead, as it is better in my opinion and highly recommended by a local popular gun smith. Also seriously consider the weatherby vanguard 2 in .300wsm. I've seen one that shoots dime size groups. Amazing combo right there. Great price too, you can find a rifle in synthetic stock and blue barrel for only $550 online.

I am not sure about all the wasted meat comments.Accidents occasionaly happen but if shot behind the shoulders there is very little wasted meat.

For long range it is exceptional, past the 250 yard mark with the proper bullet. That same bullet at 75 yard woods on a raking shot can get a little messy, but if just hitting ribs and lungs meat damage is the same with any other round. You can download it to about 30-06 speeds with a more stout bullet for woods hunting and load it differently for shooting fields, power lines, and clear cuts. It does buck the wind a bit better than most.