Bucks by the Apple Trees... 2nd pull!

Pav2704

My gosh! Some of those deer look absolutely panic-stricken by the camera. I was always a bit concerned that there were signs that deer were casually noticing my cameras, but some of those look downright terrified.

• Like 2

My gosh! Some of those deer look absolutely panic-stricken by the camera. I was always a bit concerned that there were signs that deer were casually noticing my cameras, but some of those look downright terrified.

LOL- that was my first impression as well!

Pav must have his camera strapped to the same tree he's got his pitbull tied to!

Still some good looking bucks bud!

As noted, mounting out of the line of sight and moving to legit black flash will significantly reduce these issues. You will still have potential for noise (filter) clicks, but you aren't giving them the deer in the headlight look as seen.

Minor annoyance now. Much bigger problem with a mature buck. These guys may tolerate it, but the mature bucks are much less likely to do so.

Doc is right, those pics are showing negative reactions to the camera, no doubt about it. Get that cam up higher and angle it down, you may be able to get them to stop reacting to it.

Out of curiosity, how would the height and angle placement change a deer's reaction? What is a good height to set the camera? I could definately make those changes if would help. I just find it funny that I have those same deer visiting that spot just about everyday???

They're immature. They won't be one day (hopefully).

Get the cam up out of their line of sight. I have had luck at about 6 ft and higher. Too high and you lose sensing ability on some cams. I average 6 to 8 ft with 10 once in a great while.

• Like 1

I have read many articles on trail cams and how deer perceive them.  Most of the experts seem to agree that getting the cam above 6 ft or at least 6 ft will keep them from seeing it and reacting negative to it.  (Higher the better...)  They just do not seem to care as much about something they do not see directly in front of them.

This video is pretty good covering this.  I hope this help some of you, I LOVE your cam pics and videos!!!