Age & Score of this buck?

Wouldn't a deer be considered 2 or 3 at this time of year instead of 2.5 or 3.5? Maybe thats why its hard to distinguish from 2 and 3 at the moment.

HA-HA! Yes, Doewhacker! Everyone is so caught up in the TV talk that nobody realizes what they are saying. He would have been born in February if he was anything "and a half". Cracks me up every time.

Everyone is spending too much time looking at this buck's smallish rack and not the rest of him. There is no way that deer is only 2 and I'd be really surprised if he turned out to be only 3. He has a big, mature buck body and just look at his skull and face. Notice how small his ears look.... My bet is that he is 4, no less, no more, not even "and a half". Well maybe 4 and a sixth.

SP the neck is what gets me, as gjs4 noted. that's what puts him in that 3 range for me. Almost every 4+ I see in this area closes the gap on the neck/body joining. Genesee County is a known trophy producer and one of the better counties in the state for large bodied bucks. His belly is sagging, which we generally don't see until 4ish around here, but the sway in the back is minimal at best. Usually we'll see them together or not at all in a buck.

I always refer to the .5 out of habit as in what he "will" be come fall, lol. No point in calling him 3 right now when I don't care he's 3. I only care he's 3.5 in fall, ha!

***edit....The prior year pics post on the second page jump out at 3.5 then...racehorse profile for sure. His face seems shortish however despite the small ears. Odd buck.

Edited by phade

This time of year its tuff to judge the age.  If i don't have history with the buck I usually add one year to what i think he looks like during spring/summer.  He will look very different come fall.  I don't totally see him to be 3 in that picture but he probably is.

HA-HA! Yes, Doewhacker! Everyone is so caught up in the TV talk that nobody realizes what they are saying. He would have been born in February if he was anything "and a half". Cracks me up every time.

Everyone is spending too much time looking at this buck's smallish rack and not the rest of him. There is no way that deer is only 2 and I'd be really surprised if he turned out to be only 3. He has a big, mature buck body and just look at his skull and face. Notice how small his ears look.... My bet is that he is 4, no less, no more, not even "and a half". Well maybe 4 and a sixth.

Excuse me he is 3.22 to be exact, that deer was born on May 20th of 2010.  C'mon guys yeah I say 3.5 just because that's what he will be come hunting season!

• Like 1

A good 2.5 or crappy 3.5.but it was tough winter around here last year so many deer will not reach their potential this year as bodys were depleated making it  through last winter with no mast and little to eat.at best guess  100 in +/- 10.  most people in nys would be very happy with that! if you are shoot him if given the chance.  Almost all deer are done growing by me now and horns are starting to harden, there will be velvet rubs by me by 1st of september. (earliest ive seen hard horn was august 28th,(2 nice mature bucks)  and latest velvet shed was oct 17th a small 3 point that shed in 15 min one day walking by the cam in velvet and 15 min later walked back hardhorn.