anyone using estrous scent yet?

nybuckboy

I've been using it as sort of a cover to my cover scent if that makes sense lol.  I have fresh earth cover scent and then when I climb up the tree I spray some doe estrus down wind to try and mask any remaining human scent.  I also made some mock scrapes which got imediate responses... I didn't see the buck visit it but he ripped mine apart and then made one right next to it.  Then he made one about 20 yards farther down the trail, so I freshened mine and both of his up and then made another one about another 50 yards up the trail 30 yards from my treestand.  Hopefully this will piss him off enough to come out during daylight. 

CNY

i never hesitate to use some estrus early in the season. ive had some great encounters with it in regards to the time of year. ive had some nice bucks come in to me spraying some scent every so often, most down wind...

they way i look at it is even if a guy was not in the mood to have s*x and saw a hot girl or smelled some nice perfume walk by, you would still look!

maybe not the best comparison lol but you get the idea... i dont go crazy with the scents but i do experiment to see what works and usually have good results..

I agree Geno. Just because it's early, I don't think any buck stops and thinks when they smell it... hmmmm this smell seems too early. Its around the time and I think if it smells real... its good to hit.

I remember 2 seasons ago, 10 days after the bow season opened, I hung a Wildlife Research yellow estrous leaf out before dawn. I had never really had much luck with estrous scents. I was hardly in my stand, still cooling down with my hood and hat still off.

A big rack buck came straight through the woods on a fast walk, not on any trail and walked right over and stuck is nose on the leaf. It happened so fast I couldn't quite get the pin on him before he caught my movement and game over.

You can reuse them all season. I must admit, I scoffed at them for years and only used the estrous urine in bottles. I tried most of the other stuff like Code Blue, Hunter Specialties, etc and such but all of it breaks down in a short time. The leafs continue to give off scent so I assume they must be a impregnated synthetic scent. I just opened the container I used last year that has an expiration date of March 2010 and it still has some good scent. They work well on rainy days too.

I agree Geno. Just because it's early, I don't think any buck stops and thinks when they smell it... hmmmm this smell seems too early. Its around the time and I think if it smells real... its good to hit.

I remember 2 seasons ago, 10 days after the bow season opened, I hung a Wildlife Research yellow estrous leaf out before dawn. I had never really had much luck with estrous scents. I was hardly in my stand, still cooling down with my hood and hat still off.

A big rack buck came straight through the woods on a fast walk, not on any trail and walked right over and stuck is nose on the leaf. It happened so fast I couldn't quite get the pin on him before he caught my movement and game over.

its true... my own honest opinion would be is i dont think a deer would smell that smell that drives him crazy and not act on it due to the time of year, especially when that sacred time is right around the corner and ready to pop. id say now is the time to try and experiment with it! next time you have a smaller buck come in experiment on him and see what he does, i doubt when he smells he will think OMG to early and run away. i think you might just be shocked to see that deer curl them lips and stick his nose in the air and commit to the search

I wont use estrous/ buck lure until early nov. mybe halloween. As for the trophy leafs I always laughed at them too, but last season halfway thru rifle I ran out of tinks. On the way to go out hunting I stopped at an agwy to pick up more.  Of course their inventory was well picked over by that time and the only thing close was the leafs.  I put them out that aft. and had a spike and a 4pt. pay real close attention to them. came right to them.  they do seem to recharge too.  I would use them again. 

I'm not a deer biologist. But from what I have always been told .That as soon as a buck sheds his velvet,the testosterone level increases and he's ready to breed. He just has to wait for the ladies. I'd also have to agree that I don't think,with a deers curious nature when smelling somethin. That if he smells any deer urine he may check it out. Can he tell the difference if a does in heat,yes.Theres a higher estrogen level that sends them into a frenzy. The other thing is in my opinion,the claims made by some of these pee companies is how much of it is legitimate doe in estrus?

"they way i look at it is even if a guy was not in the mood to have s*x and saw a hot girl or smelled some nice perfume walk by, you would still look!

maybe not the best comparison lol but you get the idea... "

I actually think it is a very good comparison.  I actually was thinking almost the same thing.  If I'm walking down the street with a girl friend or some significant other I would still be turing and lookin and pretty girls!! 8)  Hehehehe

TH41

Ive heard the same thing.  Bucks will always be able to breed once they shed velvet and would be interested if they smelled doe estrous.  And again I agree with how many of the doe estrous scents are really legit?  I use code red doe estrous and haven't seen it really work but if I recall from an earlier post I think Geno said thats what he uses to and he has had some luck with it.  So who knows? lol 

Regarding any of the estrous scents... if a buck is walking down the trail and comes up to the scent I wouldn't count that. BUT if what happened to me, as in... he came thru the woods, not on any trail at brisk pace and stuck his nose on the scent, then that one counts. I can honestly say that is the only absolute time a buck came to any estrous scent I've put out in the past 7 years.

i am just adding:

i did a hunt on the island Sat, used some estrus spray when it was starting to get light out, had a nice buck first light work in, nose to the ground! 40 yards right past the stand. came though sniffing hard. had 2 more smaller bucks come in a little bit after, hit em with the can and spray 3 times he came in right to the tree down wind going nuts!

i dont believe in waiting to use scents or calls. these deer are feeling it and its close!

no doubt did these deer respond the way i wanted them too!

Does anybody know what happens if you put some doe estrous scent and a doe comes across it?  Does it scare or alert them?

I don't think they like it... I think it may make them avoid b/c they do not want to be harrassed by a buck thinking they smell ripe. JMO

I don't know too much about scents as i don't use them too much however, last year around oct. 25 or so i had great luck. i'd been seeing a very large buck cross a hay field I'm on but way far away. So i used a scent drag to try and move him closer.

I left the scent pad out in the field. not long after climbing into my stand i hear all this crashing and snapping out comes a nice buck maybe an inch shy of the eat tips,he comes right to the pad in a wide open field and stays there for a good 10 minutes or so.

Due to our rules on the farm and hoping for the really big one I let him walk around at 15 yards for the whole time.