Anyone shoot a BLR?

MACHINIST

The BLR is a great rifle. I have never owned one but I have shot one a few times (in .308) smooth action and it put rounds through the same hole at 100yds. I guess they're  a nightmare to work on though. Pricey. There are actually small gears that mesh, to work the action, and these gears have to be timed. So if the receiver ever has to be taken apart, it can get ugly.

The BLR is a beautiful gun, I was looking for the same for awhile, just never was able to find a .308.........the fact that they were tough to find should tell you something. My father just picked up a pre 64 model 88, nice gun and you could carry it all day, just not what I would consider a tack driver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use a BLR in 7-08 as my back up gun. Shoots great, one of the smoothest levers I own. Mine's a straight stock and I wish I'd of got the pistol, though they were'nt as available a few years back. As far as the action, it's sought of a lever activated bolt action as the bolt turns and locks against the chamber using locking lugs. Reliability wise I've never had a problem, nor have I heard of any. As far as cleaning, Browning does not recommend you break the rifle down. Just clean carefully from the muzzle, or pick up one of those Otis kits. All I know who own one consider it their best lever, myself included. I'm currently in the market for one in .358 with a pistol grip.