Paper plate archers in full effect today

jesse.james

3 out of 5 in 8" at 25 and they call that good enough to get into one of these programs? That is disgusting. I would rather see them say you get one arrow and if that is in the 8" circle ok. I wouldn't walk into the woods if I was shooting like that. (not about you I am talking about the program qualifications)

I do agree, but I can also understand the need for hunters in these programs to control the deer populations in these areas.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

That right there is desperation qualification testing... :fie:

I've been going out daily with my three arrows...but this year due to the knee I haven't put the time in with the tree stand practice...I'm not concerned though as long as I continuously remind my self to bend at waist...30 yrds has me hitting 1-2 inches to the right of dead center...close enough of a bulls eye as I need..... the 2in. mark is because I've ruined a couple of shafts this year so I pull the 2nd shot a tad on the 3-D...shooting instinctive I have to be a bit careful staying at long distances only...for it will some times cause my closer shots to hit a bit high...this weeks practice is strickly blind...in that I will walk away from the target at different angles stop turn and shoot...not knowing distance not straight on and I have a light lawn chair I'll sit in to shoot from as well...I'm Happy with the results

• Like 3

I asked a girl I work with if her husband was going up to their camp for early archery and she said yes. So I said how's he shooting? Oh, he hasn't shot his bow this year so I don't know. I did bring it down stairs, dust it off, checked his arrows, and waxed his string for him last night though. He said he'll be fine. These are the kind of people that worry me.

I asked a girl I work with if her husband was going up to their camp for early archery and she said yes. So I said how's he shooting? Oh, he hasn't shot his bow this year so I don't know. I did bring it down stairs, dust it off, checked his arrows, and waxed his string for him last night though. He said he'll be fine. These are the kind of people that worry me.

Aaaand these are the kinds of people I think should be using crossbows.

• Like 1

Now that the bow is dusted off......... I think the most important skill in bow hunting is tracking a deer and allowing oneself the time to do it properly.. I have felt pressured by work and family obligations to not sit and wait for the deer to expire and I am afraid I have chased off an injured animal. This is not meant to be a confession but I am sure this happens all too often and regardless of what one thinks is an ethical shot or shooting ability we need to also focus on the recovery of the animal.

Find the time to do it right.

Ha-ha..... We bowhunters sure do enjoy publicly maligning our bowhunting community don't we. These kinds of threads that advertise how many bad archers we have out there definitely leaves the impression that there are only about a dozen archers that are fit to actually be out there hunting .... lol. You would think that all the PETA folks would have to do would be to publish a few of these threads in some public media to get their points across.

• Like 2

ive seen the same guys that throw a few arrows a week or tow out and drill deer every year.................right next to guys that shoot year round..............and get a deer in front of em, and have trouble hitting the ground

sorry if you can barely hit a hay bail at 25 yards you have no business hunting with tbat particular implement.

I stopped shooting there because of it. Maxwell park in e syr. Is nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not any more... the foam targets i blow through. Went out there one weekend during the time of the fair, there was a rabid skunk in the grass, this dude walked within 15-20 feet of it and the thing didnt even know he was there. called the cops they showed up when we were leaving. You shoot your bag out there or do you use their bales?

Well its getting to be that time of year again at my local open archery range. I shoot at Long Branch Park.  Open archery range for general public.  Through out most of the summer you can be the only there for hours.  Come this time of year it gets crowded.  Anways went out tonight and seen quite a few of the what I like to call the paper plate archers.  Dusted off the bow for the first time.  Put the paper plate up against the twine bales and start firing from 20 yards.  Have the most god awful form you have ever seen.  Their untuned ancient bows sound more like a 22 going off.  They spend more time looking for their arrows than shooting.  Finally get 3 out of 5 arrows to hit the plate and call it as they say...yup all sighted in im ready for the season.  I feel horrible for the animal they plan to shoot at this year.  I can do nothing but shake my head in wonder. 

On a side note I did see something else that made me chuckle.  This asian guy was out there...pretty sure it was ShawnHu (jking) Anyways..i really think he watched the olympics a bit too much.  And decided he could do it to and went out and bought everything the US olympic team was using.  Was out there in a full on target rig.  Looked like a contender or one of the other high end target bows 2 1/2 foot stab on it blade rest.  The whole 9 yards.  Was shooting at a 3d deer target.  20 yards away and couldnt seem to even hit the deer at all.

I shoot out there quite a bit... I see the same thing you do. people come out with there old aluminim arrow, draw lengths to long peep sight not in the right spot. then they talk to you about ohh i shot this huge buck last year he was 35 yards away... and the whole time your nodding your head and thinking bro you can't hit that paper plate at 20 yards but you shot a buck at 35... lol Those are the people that go there and talk more then they shoot, and like you said they are always looking for there arrows or looking at their gear. lol get some pretty good shooters out there also.