What's going on with Billing Departments ?

fasteddie

I am only posting this on the site as things have been slow during the non-hunting . What's going on with Billing Departments ? In the past few weeks , I have contacted 3 different medical billing departments . I asked the Reps where they are located . You got it , the Philippines . Today I went round and round trying to talk to someone from PayPal billing . When I finally got a Rep , I asked where she was located and she said , "India" . Apparently it must be much cheaper for companies to handle their billing off-shore . That's pretty sad !

I had an issue with a return at Amazon 2 weeks ago, and I had a customer service guy who was in India. He did get things taken care of but I had a hard time understanding his broken English.

Live chat works better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Someone called me, while I was driving home last week, trying to sell me car insurance.  They had a very strong Indian accent, and they were very difficult to understand.   I have a half hour commute, and a hands free phone, so I tied them up for about 25 minutes.  

I figured I was keeping them from aggravating someone else, and that was more entertaining than listening to the radio.  I kept feeding them just enough info to keep them on.  They asked my address, which I did not give them.  

I asked where they were located and they said NY.  I asked what city, and they said Dallas.  

My opinion on such foreign unsolicited calls, is there is nothing that can be done to stop them.  Rather than just hang up or not answering, I give them nothing, but tie them up as long as possible, so they can’t use that time to bother others.  

Usually, they want money and often ask for just a minimal amount.  One of my favorite reply’s is to ask if there is any upper limit on what I could invest.  That’s always good for another 5 or 10 minutes. 

• Haha 1

And some companies make a "selling" point of their customer service being located in-country - which I applaud.

I work with foreign nationals day-in-and-day-out, so I've gotten used to dealing with many different accents. But I appreciate how it could be difficult for others, particularly those of us who have reached a certain age and fired too many guns without hearing protection. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I am only posting this on the site as things have been slow during the non-hunting . What's going on with Billing Departments ? In the past few weeks , I have contacted 3 different medical billing departments . I asked the Reps where they are located . You got it , the Philippines . Today I went round and round trying to talk to someone from PayPal billing . When I finally got a Rep , I asked where she was located and she said , "India" . Apparently it must be much cheaper for companies to handle their billing off-shore . That's pretty sad !

Offshore "costs" are at least 1/3 as expensive as US based.  Unfortunately, most big US companies view labor (people) and customer services as a business expense (debit) cutting into profits, rather than an asset or value.