Newbie Deer Hunter Questions

Stretcher Guy

I will be hunting deer for the first time and I have some questions. ( 1C Suffolk County)

Lets say all the planets line up and I actually take a deer...

1-Do I gut it where I find it or drag it closer to my car to avoid getting dirt inside the carcass?

2-Do I have to bring it to Ridge to check it in?

3-Do I just bring it to the taxidermist for butchering and mounting or do I have to make an appointment?

Thanks

#1- gut it where it is, just make sure the guts aren't gonna be in a spot that may offend other's, remember that other non-hunters use the area.

#2- I don't think it's mandatory, used to be if you wanted a bonus tag you checked it in, but now they have a way of getting the bonus tag by electronically sending them a copy of your filled tag (if I'm wrong about it not being mandatory, someone correct me).

#3- most places don't require an appointment, do you have a place in mind? if so, give them a call ahead of time to find out.

• Like 1

+1 to everything already stated.  

However I will add that I believe you are still allowed to wait until you reach your vehicle before having to physically attach your tag to the deer.  This is so that you do not lose the tag while dragging back to your vehicle.  You still must fill out the tag ASAP after you find the deer. 

I have butchered many deer myself and still do sometimes but more often than not these days, I bring my deer to a place that butchers it for me.  If I plan to keep the deer for mounting, they know how to skin the deer properly for use by the taxidermist.  That typically means skinning the deer in such a way as to leave as much hide available as possible....usually enough to cover the chest or so. Generally speaking I don't think most taxidermy places process the deer for you.  Some may but I don't know of any in my area.  Then, after my deer has been processed by the butcher, they will give me the head and hide which I then take to the taxidermist.  I have never made an appointment but I nearly always call ahead and tell them I'm coming over with a head for mounting. 

1. personal preference. Don't worry about dirt though, you're going to drag him/her on her back. Look into a cheap drag roap, sled or better yet a cart to make it easier though. drag it to a spot where you have plenty of room to gut it. A tree also helps sometimes to keep them from tipping over. Without the guts they weigh less :) I always try and kick some leaves on the gut pile too. TAKE YOUR TIME. There's no hurry and if you've never gut a deer it can be a little intimidating. When he/she's back at camp hang it up and do some more trimming inside.

2. no idea.

3. You bring it to the butcher, generally they don't require an appointment but you have to make sure they're open. Generally depending on the temp, it's good to let them hang a little. You tell the butcher you want it caped if you're going to mount it.

Edited by Belo

1-Do I gut it where I find it or drag it closer to my car to avoid getting dirt inside the carcass?

Gut it where you shot it, or close. One of the key things is to get the meat cool as fas as possible. Removing the

insides help to do that.  I also cut a stick to prop the cavity as open as possible when I'm done.  My deer are

skinned, quartered, and into a fridge/cooler with ice as soon as I can possibly get them there. Usually within a couple of

hours.

2-Do I have to bring it to Ridge to check it in?

No. You don't have to check it in but you DO have to report it through the DECALS system and of course

your tag needs to be filled out fully immediately!

3-Do I just bring it to the taxidermist for butchering and mounting or do I have to make an appointment?

Cut it up yourself, it's not difficult and then you know it's your harvest and you know how it was taken

care of.   As for the mount question; I'd recommend talking to your target taxidermist beforehand and 

get their recommendations as to the handling of the carcaas.  After it's down is no time to begin

formulating a game plan.  That needs to be clearly defined now.

I saved the heart for the first time last year from my buck. I diced it into pieces with onion and put some franks and spices in with it. Served with a dash of sour cream it was actually really good.

I have take a number off deer in my day and last year was the first year i decided to sample the heart. Dusted it in flour with some salt & pepper, browned it in butter then added some garlic, red wine and some rosemary,,,,,,WOW really good

1. Gut it right away get the meat as cool as possible as quick as possible

2. No Clue

3. I butcher all my own deer unless I am straped for time. I feel I cut the cuts I want and there is a sense of pride doing it yourself. When I first started out I sent my first deer to a butcher. Its amazing how much more back strap I have now per deer now that I butcher it myslef...hmmmm coincidence I think not!!! I would like to learn how to do a better job though since I am not a pro. Guess I gotta watch a few more youtube videos and take a class or two but I feel I do myslef justice.

Good luck hope you score a good one!