Encounter with Coyotes

IronBucks

LOL how did i know someone was gonna jump on it... lol its a CO2 pistol that shoots steel BB's... its semi auto and has a 19 round mag... cracks pretty loud

You didn't think anyone would catch that your under age and you claiming to carry a pistol?
  • Like 1

I had an encounter with a yote a few years ago.  I live in  suburb and its pretty uncommon to see any coyotes out here.  I was out mowing the lawn on a ride on mower.  I heard my corgi barking away and drove over to see what the commotion was about.  Right by my garage door I see this skinny looking thing starring down my dog in the middle of the day and it took me a few seconds to realize it was a coyote.  I yelled at my dog to go inside and rev the tractor towards the yote to scare him away.  He didn't budge and proceeded to relieve himself like he was marking territory.  He had no fear whatsoever despite me yelling, approaching him with a tractor or throwing a rock his way.  He took off when he felt he wanted to and made no effort to run off.  Thinking back I am pretty sure he was sick (rabid???).  I don't trust yotes at all. 

Corgis's make nice snacks for a coyote.  Neighbors have had cats and dogs snatched from their porches during all hours of the day or night.  I've had them (and bobcats) take chickens within 15 feet of the barn at noon.  While I really don't fear they would normally attack me......be absolutely certain, if given the chance,they will take your dog while you were standing there.  Coyotes just like to eat and find your pets are delightfully easy and simple to place on their menu. Around my farm they take immense pleasure in somehow knowing if I have a firearm or not.  The not is when they really enjoy making themselves visible and seemingly enjoy my verbal diatribes about their lineage. .. ALWAYS Carry! 

(BTW Rabies in NY usually comes in 2 forms commonly called Furious and Dumb. Furious is a snarling snapping animal. The second is a slow moving or just sitting creature that seemingly ignores what you do until  you get close and then any peripheral (to them) movement triggers an attack.  Fortunately in NY most cases are of the dumb kind and its easy to avoid confrontation.  The furious ones always make the paper with the "Crazed fox attacks Grandmother while hanging Laundry" headlines.    If the animal doesn't run away  when confronted its best you SLOWLY back away avoiding the confrontation.......Or pull the Mossberg from behind the tractor seat thus ending the need for diagnosing furious versus dumb.  

Coyotes still know their place and you are safe.

I'm not making any judgements about if this makes sense or not but:

Q: I have a pistol permit, may I carry my handgun while bowhunting?

A: No. While bowhunting during a special bow season, you may not possess a firearm of any description.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

this is not a firearm so it is perfectly legal... if it was a firearm i would need a permit

• Like 1

Corgis's make nice snacks for a coyote.  Neighbors have had cats and dogs snatched from their porches during all hours of the day or night.  I've had them (and bobcats) take chickens within 15 feet of the barn at noon.  While I really don't fear they would normally attack me......be absolutely certain, if given the chance,they will take your dog while you were standing there.  Coyotes just like to eat and find your pets are delightfully easy and simple to place on their menu.

I don't think a solo or even a pair would stand a chance against my 110 pound red nose. I'm just worried about a whole pack. I think they try and lure him out into the woods at night. They press pretty close to the house but he stays in the yard and lets them hear it.

When I was 3 I was in the sand box in the back yard before the area was developed and my dad was on the porch. He seen 3 yotes come into the yard trotting toward me. The dog we had at the time was a lab/spaniel mix and was inside the house. He seen the yotes and went nuts. Busted thru the screen door and attacks the 3 yotes scaring 2 off with with a wounded ego and killed the 3rd one. Gave my dad time to get me and out me inside. He came back outside with the shotgun to help our dog and there was a dead yote feet from the sandbox. Greatest dog ever!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 5

This is a true story and I was there when it happened. A friend was up a tree in his climer, he tried to come down to the ground when 9 wild Dogs were at the base of the tree looking up at him and growling. He threw everything he had at them and they would not move.He fired the only 3 arrows he had and hit three of them.As a last resort he pulled out his 22 cal. pistol and killed the remaning dogs,which would not leave.

If you plan on shooting a coyote with it, (which was implied in your reply) you are not legal.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Sorry man im a farmer... the only good yote is a dead yote...

I dont beleive a bb or pellet gun is considered a firearm. Could be wrong though Sent from Outer Space

you are correct

• Like 1

Only good criminal is a dead criminal.  That's why I don a hooded mask at night and go on a vigilante death raid through the city's under world.

Illegal is still illegal even if most of us here don't have a problem with it, it might not be a great idea to advertise it to the public.  Not trying to call you out.  Take it more as a concern suggestion.

Sorry man im a farmer... the only good yote is a dead yote...

you are correct

So you being a young farmer makes it OK for you to either carry a pistol or shoot a coyote with a BB gun? Both are illegal in the state of NY for your age. Like Elmo said, illegal is illegal.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

this is not a firearm so it is perfectly legal... if it was a firearm i would need a permit

Might want to reconsider that Joe.... This is the DEC's definition of a "firearm" (pg. 18 of regs).  http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/1314guidegen.pdf

Firearm—all guns, including handguns, rifles, 
shotguns, muzzleloaders and BB and pellet guns