Will rifle be legal in Livinston Co in 2014 or 15?

• 3 weeks later...

I hope not

I agree..I'd hate to see them ruin the deer hunting in Livingston the way they have ruined it in all of those OTHER southern zone counties, like Steuben, Yates, yada, yada, by legalizing those evil rifles in the last few years.

• Like 3

Knowing where and how we hunt on the farm I hunt, it really doesn't matter to me. The owner has already said that even if they do legalize rifles, he will not allow any rifles on his land. Too flat, too much money in livestock. He lets almost anybody on to hunt and even lets us use his tractors to get them out, but he will not allow any rifle use.

I really don't care either way and think that both sides of the discussion are stretching to make their point.  I don't believe rifles are any more dangerous than any other firearm.  On the other hand, in almost 50 years of hunting I can only think of 1 NY whitetail that I've taken that I couldn't have taken with a shotgun and that one I got with a muzzle loader.  That said I just bought a .270, please don't ask me for a good reason for buying it. B)

NYS laws on what you can hunt with, and where, are messy.  I'm opposed to calling a TC Encore in .270, with a pistol grip, a handgun - it's a handrifle.  Why can you hunt with that where you can't hunt with a rifle?  Where I hunt you can be standing 10 feet away from someone who is legally hunting with a rifle and not be legal yourself.  If the neighbor legally shoots a deer with a .30-30 and it runs on to my place he's supposed to go home and get his shotgun before he retireves it???  Silly law.

Edited by bquimby1

• 7 months later...

Assemblyman Bill Nojay ..

To all my hunting enthusiasts in Livingston County - Assembly Bill A.9201 which will allow hunting of big game with rifles in the county of Livingston has passed both the Senate and Assembly. The legislation will now be sent to the Governor for him to sign the bill into law.

just got this on my facebook from Nojay ,...

• 4 weeks later...

The switch from SG counties to rifle counties is really amazing to see. In my hunting lifetime (30 yrs or so) it's gone from 50/50 to about 10/90 or so it seems. I was talking to a DEC guy about this and he said its three reasons driving it:

1- slugs and slug barrels have gotten better and inside of a couple of hundred yards they're very close to rifles (hmmmm).

2- the stats support higher rates of harvest in rifle counties so better management.

3- rifle counties have a lower incidence of hunter fatalities.

I wonder if the last one is the case any more with so many counties switching to rifle now. Was the firefighter who was shot last year in a switch county?

Only future history will tell how wise the adoption of rifles in more populated counties has been. I'm sure that people will massage the stats to show whatever they want them to show, but meanwhile I will continue to enjoy deer hunting with my new rifle here in Ontario County for as long as I still can lift it up. I also congratulate Livingston County for having joined the rest of us and hope that the rifle adds as much enjoyment to their season as it has to ours.

Well, the stats won't have  lot of meaning until some significant time has gone by. Give it a decade or so, and I think we will have enough data to draw some conclusions. And I am not making any predictions one way or another....lol.

Well, the stats won't have lot of meaning until some significant time has gone by. Give it a decade or so, and I think we will have enough data to draw some conclusions. And I am not making any predictions one way or another....lol.

You're not disbursing the fact that last year was the safest on record are you?

You're not disbursing the fact that last year was the safest on record are you?

No, I take that to be one very encouraging data point. Let's hope that it is followed by a lot more years with the same success.

By the way, did I understand correctly that all these rifle laws come with a one-year trial period before they become actual permanent law? It seems as though I heard that with the Ontario County rifle law.

By the way, did I understand correctly that all these rifle laws come with a one-year trial period before they become actual permanent law? It seems as though I heard that with the Ontario County rifle law.

I don't recall if it was a one or two year trial period...........Lets just hope we all keep our noses clean and no errant shots are fired. :good:

Have I mentioned lately how great it is to be using the rifle in Ontario?  Yee ha!!

I checked the harvest reports for Allegany and Steuben counties from 2000 to 2013. There is no stats the indicate that a county going from shotgun to rifle will increase the harvest. Take a look at the harvest reports and you will see there is no difference in the harvest with a shotgun or rifle. What controls the harvest is the number of DMP's issued to that county. So going to rifle just adds another tool we can use.
Just to let you know just because Livingston goes to rifle that doesn't mean you will be able to use one in Letchworth state park.

I don't recall if it was a one or two year trial period...........Lets just hope we all keep our noses clean and no errant shots are fired. :good:

Have I mentioned lately how great it is to be using the rifle in Ontario?  Yee ha!!

Ha-ha ... Almost makes it too easy ............ almost. I had the pleasure of dragging two does at once opening morning. Now there is a treat. Drag one deer a ways ... stop ... go back and drag the other one ... stop ... go back and get the gun and pack ... stop ... repeat over and over until home.

I sure didn't miss my bruised shoulder from beating it into hamburger with that stupid Ithaca12 gauge. You know the timing couldn't have been better. I was just starting to get pump mis-feeds with the old beater. Of course I've had it since 1969...lol. I wonder just what the number of deer is that I've taken with that old-timer. I know its  real big number.

• Like 1

I really don't care either way and think that both sides of the discussion are stretching to make their point.  I don't believe rifles are any more dangerous than any other firearm.  On the other hand, in almost 50 years of hunting I can only think of 1 NY whitetail that I've taken that I couldn't have taken with a shotgun and that one I got with a muzzle loader.  That said I just bought a .270, please don't ask me for a good reason for buying it. B)

NYS laws on what you can hunt with, and where, are messy.  I'm opposed to calling a TC Encore in .270, with a pistol grip, a handgun - it's a handrifle.  Why can you hunt with that where you can't hunt with a rifle?  Where I hunt you can be standing 10 feet away from someone who is legally hunting with a rifle and not be legal yourself.  If the neighbor legally shoots a deer with a .30-30 and it runs on to my place he's supposed to go home and get his shotgun before he retireves it???  Silly law.

Yes, never understood why people can hunt with a handgun in a rifle cartridge in non rifle areas.