Recurve guys

MACHINIST

Looking to try it for next year and would like to start getting stuff together now and start shooting.I like the looks of the PSE coyote.Any good articles you can point me towards or if theres someone in my area maybe show me the ropes?I am very proficient with a compound but want to take it to the next level.

I've been shooting recurve for the past couple years and love it.. Got a bear grizzly myself. Check out tradgang.com it's a really nice forum with a ton of information. If I were you I would shoot several different bows, even long bows to get a feel for what you like. Also try different poundages out. Where abouts are you located?

• Like 1

MACHINIST

I would say look to websites like tradgang.com as well as tradbow.com,  In the tradgang forum there is a specific section about "shooters form" with great advice and incite.  Also I would do some checking on youtube as to recurve hunting because there are also tips that you can get on there as well.

I got bit by the bug myself a couple of years ago and I am convinced to try and harvest a deer with my recurve. Haven't had the opportunity to do so as of yet.  Just FYI, as I am sure you may know, there is a major difference in the 50 yard range of a compound to the 18 -20 yard range of a recurve.  Makes it an entirely different ball game. 

On a side note, although I am serious about getting it done with a recurve, I just was up hunting the opening weekend of bow and checked my cams and found two really nice 8 pointers regularly visiting  my food plot which now makes it all the more difficult to sit in a tree and limit myself to just a 18 yard shot range.  Still doing some internal debating whether or not I take my recurve or compound up with me the first weekend of November. Ugg decisions, decisions.     

I just started bow hunting this year.  I am using an old recurve I picked up second-hand.  15-20 yards sounds about right for what I have done while practicing.  Anything further out, you have to be good at guestimating the elevation you need to release the arrow at to hit the intended point of impact.

Those compounds feel toyish to me - small, light-weight, and little strength required to hold at full draw.

Of course the recurve does not fit laying across my back seat, so can't exactly leave it there and hide there while at work for a quick hunt on the way home.

Not much to go wrong other than breaking the bow string with them - no tuning, adjusting pull or let off, replacing worn cams, breaking sights, etc.

I have been staking out old sunken logging/forest roads by brush or just behind large oaks and maples for cover.  I often spot game trails crossing them and using those abandoned roads for several yards.  I figure that is the best bet for traditional bows with shorter range.

I would suggest going to a range that has an area for bow and see if anyone there is using traditional equipment.  They could give you tips on site and help you correct anything you are doing on the spot.

I still have my Bear Kodiak (sp)Magnum from 1977. I killed lots of ears of corn that I pinned to a straw bail, but never had the confidence to send one towards a deer. For the first few years I let deer after deer practically walk on me as I crouched under apple trees and squeezed apples all over me to mask my smell.

I would l love to string it and shoot it at a target for old time sake but am deathly afraid it might blow apart in my hands and split my skull or take an eye out. Lol

Edited by New York Hillbilly

Exactly it's like an art in itself... Brace height, nock point, string twist etc. are going to shoot three under or split finger? Then u have shaft spine selection and point weight. With a recurve you really have to find out what works best for you and your shooting style. I love the challenge, That's why I find myself picking up the recurve more than my compound.

• Like 1

I picked up a fred bear grizzly last year...im still working

with it and slowly making progress...its a tough but fun game...I am determined to hunt with it once I have a ton of confidence built up...I just learned to twist the string to adjust the brace height to stop hitting my arm guard...got a lot to learn still...but I love the challenge

Go to http://tradtalk.com/forums/

Don't worry about aiming, groups etc when you first start.

Start close - like 3 yards and learn good consistent form with a solid repeatable anchor point

and a relaxed release.

Deep hook on the string - in or past the 1st joint of your fingers. Back of the hand should be completely

relaxed allowing the fingers to just quit holding.

Solid bowarm - hold position until the arrow has hit the target.

Some of the biggest obstacles to achieving accuracy are inconsistent draw/anchor, forced release, and dropping the bowarm. Get these solid and the path to accuracy will be greatly shortened.  

Looking to try it for next year and would like to start getting stuff together now and start shooting.I like the looks of the PSE coyote.Any good articles you can point me towards or if theres someone in my area maybe show me the ropes?I am very proficient with a compound but want to take it to the next level.

As with any other bow I would suggest going to a pro shop that has a good selection of recurve and long bows.Long bows are a little more forgiving then recurves,both not like a compound,the further you draw it back the more you have to hold.Figure the longest you have held your compound back trying to get aimed at that sweet spot on a deer.Try different weight bows and try to get one that you can hold at full draw for that amount of time. As if you shoot a 60 -70 pound compound a 55 pound recurve might be for you.You will enjoy shooting more that way.

I started out at 11 years old with a fiberglass bow and arrows and worked my way up to this buying and selling threw the years.

post-3229-0-81854100-1381318309_thumb.jp  I belive the have a how to video on the Black Widow website also.  M30.

If everybody shot no farther than 25 yards I feel there would be a lot less wounded deer.  I am not saying you can't wound them close but a lot goes wrong when you are shooting at a distance.  

As said above correct shooting form should be first and foremost but don't just get any arrows go to a shop that work's with trad gear or get some advice from the people at trad gang. or trad talk. No sense in spending the money on arrows that you won't use down the road,  You can get a close spine and then add weight to make them weak or shorten them up to stiffen them up.  Don't be afraid to ask questions on here either we will all try to help out.

Been looking at the samick sage,From what I have read on other forum (thanks for who pointed me in the right direction) its hard to get a better entry-intermediate bow

That is what I started with and it is a good bow for the money and a great starter bow.  Like anything you will be looking to upgrade before to long, but it is a good way to find out if you plan to stick with it.  I'm shooting the Hoyt Buffalo now and it's awesome.    

I'd recommend a light weight bow... I shoot  60 lbs Martin so use to it that I'm reluctant to change yet... but I purchased an old 45# Bear that I think I'll be moving to shortly... you don't really need all that weight for 20 yards and in... 45-50 is plenty with the right splined arrow.

Something I did not mention before but it has made my shooting more consistant did this ( not by choice ) you know after 50 + years of 3 and 4 jaw chucks rollin on your hands,blocks of steel smashing your fingers,they get to a point arthritis sets in and one finger with no feeling nurve damage.I put a string loop and use a release on all of my bows,every draw is at the same spot and arrows nocked the same.

Once you shoot that recurve for a while ( your hooked ) you will say why didn't I doo this sooner.

M30.