What is the best advice...

nybuckboy

As long as this post went awry let me ask any of you this question.

Is there anyone here that does not want to really shoot, at least once in their life, "A Big RackedMature Buck?

I have, and to be quite honest, I still got just as much of a thrill shooting every deer that wasn't a mature racked buck...

At this point in my hunting career, I don't want to even think of dragging one of those out. So no, I don't really want to shoot one.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

so you wouldn't want to shoot a 180lb 10 point over a 130lb doe standing side by side because the extra 50lbs? For what it's worth my big 8 only weighed 130 dressed, very good genetics.

I ask this question seriously and i'm not trying to pick a fight. If you don't eat the meat, and you're not after the antlers, what are your goals when deer hunting?

I ask this question seriously and i'm not trying to pick a fight. If you don't eat the meat, and you're not after the antlers, what are your goals when deer hunting?

Why does there even need to be a clearly defined goal?  Whether we hunt for meat or antlers, it won't be the end of the world if we don't succeed.  Hunting is really not that important in the scheme of things.  That's where the younger crowd has it all wrong in my opinion.  Everything has to measure up to some standard, otherwise it's crap in their opinion.  That's a screwed up mentality.  There's enough competition and goal minded people in the everyday rat race world we live in.  I'll be damned if I will let this type of crap seep into the pastime I happen to participate in.  Hunting for many of us is an escape from the everyday human condition, so this "goal" oriented nonsense needs to stay out of it.  Yeah, I want to put something down too, when I go hunting, but if I don't, that's OK too.  I tried my best, didn't succeed, end of story.  Will try again next time. 

• Like 2

my goal is to get out there and enjoy myself, of course everyone hopes to shoot a nice buck, but it's not an obsession with me......I don't have a hit list, I don't name the buck's I see and I have no idea what a G2,G3 or G4 is..........in fact, I could give a crap less if there's even a buck in my area who "score's" anything.......the year's when I fail to get anything, I don't tell people my season sucked because of it, I have never said "I only got a doe" or "it's just a scrub 6pt"..........I have killed a few bucks that I'm told will "score" something and I should have them measured....not interested.

Edited by jjb4900

ok, remove the word goal steve.

How about this: "Why do you hunt?"

You HAVE to have an answer to that question. People don't just DO things for no reason, especially something like hunting, which you pointed out is not a requirement to survive in the modern era.

Easy answer.  Everyone surely has a reason, but doesn't necessarily need a goal.  I like venison, so I hunt in hopes that I might get some.  Venison is not something readily available in my local grocery store, so I go out to hunt to try to get some.  If I don't get any, then the pork chops are waiting for me at the supermarket.  I also like to shoot guns on occasion, so in hunting I am allowed to try to get some meat with that gun.

• Like 1

my goal is to get out there and enjoy myself, of course everyone hopes to shoot a nice buck, but it's not an obsession with me......I don't have a hit list, I don't name the buck's I see and I have no idea what a G2,G3 or G4 is..........in fact, I could give a crap less if there's even a buck in my area who "score's" anything.......the year's when I fail to get anything, I don't tell people my season sucked because of it, I have never said "I only got a doe" or "it's just a scrub 6pt"..........I have killed a few bucks that I'm told will "score" something and I should have them measured....not interested.

but what about hunting do you enjoy?

Easy answer.  Everyone surely has a reason, but doesn't necessarily need a goal.  I like venison, so I hunt in hopes that I might get some.  Venison is not something readily available in my local grocery store, so I go out to hunt to try to get some.  If I don't get any, then the pork chops are waiting for me at the supermarket.  I also like to shoot guns on occasion, so in hunting I am allowed to try to get some meat with that gun.

so you're after it for the meat. That's a great reason to hunt. My sincere question for shawn is why does he hunt? He has given away or tossed back straps and just claimed he would not shoot a big buck.

so you wouldn't want to shoot a 180lb 10 point over a 130lb doe standing side by side because the extra 50lbs? For what it's worth my big 8 only weighed 130 dressed, very good genetics.

I've dragged enough deer out of the woods to know in not interested in dragging a big buck. If you put two deer in front of me, I'll shoot the more manageable one.

As to why I hunt deer, that's for another discussion, not this topic.

I've dragged enough deer out of the woods to know in not interested in dragging a big buck. If you put two deer in front of me, I'll shoot the more manageable one.

As to why I hunt deer, that's for another discussion, not this topic.

well that's not a good answer...