Is this legal?

Caveman

Lately I've been seeing a ton of squirrels while I'm in my stand.  I know you can use a pellet gun to kill squirrels as long as it's 600 fps or better.  So if I were to pick up a pellet pistol that met this requirement can i stuff it in my backpack and shoot the squirrels with it while I'm bowhunting?

I really wouldn't know if it was legal or not to carry a pellet pistol while bowhunting.  I know you can't carry any sort of real firearm.  I will say however, that I doubt you will kill many squirrels with a pellet pistol.  I have taken some shots at squirrels with a fairly powerful pellet pistol and it seems like the pellets just bounce right off of them.  Squirrels are tough skinned little critters and I think one needs at least a .22 to get the job done right.

Why bring a pellet gun, bring a couple arrows with field points and it will make you a better archer.

Go to www.huntingfootage.com do a seach for a guy name "Bowana" and what some of his videos that involve squirrels.  That guy is a squirrel hunting nut when deer hunting.

Try this link, you may need join first to see it.

http://www.huntingfootage.com/videos?page=%3Dbrowser_content.videos.e2s%3Fupk%3D2748&push=veep_browser_content_videos

After conferring with Lt. O'hara of the NYS ECOs the answer is no that would not be legal.  He said that federal conservation law includes pellet guns within their definition of firearms and NYS conservation law states that no one bowhunting shall have in their possession a firearm of ANY KIND.  This was after a talk with more ECO's.  His initial response was, "That's a good question....Ummmmm...."  He had no idea at first lol.

sometimes when time in the woods seems slow, i sometimes pick the bow up with a used broadhead and practice on them... i popped a few off at 20 yards i even had a 25 yarder, hit em good too.

ive shot 3 squirles in one evening and shot a very mature doe not 30 - 45 minutes later. it was a fun night. i dont always shoot them wit h the bow but if theres a slight breeze and some loud squirels, i might just put one down...

I really wouldn't know if it was legal or not to carry a pellet pistol while bowhunting.  I know you can't carry any sort of real firearm.  I will say however, that I doubt you will kill many squirrels with a pellet pistol.  I have taken some shots at squirrels with a fairly powerful pellet pistol and it seems like the pellets just bounce right off of them.  Squirrels are tough skinned little critters and I think one needs at least a .22 to get the job done right.

I killed a bunch of squirrels last year with a daisy 600fps bb gun. A pellet takes them down even easier.

Get your self a wrist rocket slingshot and some ball bearings.  If you can shoot a bow, you can shoot one of these.  they are quiet and will easily kill squirrels.  They are fun to use when squirrels are around and the deer hunting is slow.

I don't think there is anything illegal about it either.

I killed a bunch of squirrels last year with a daisy 600fps bb gun. A pellet takes them down even easier.

A pellet rifle in general has a good bit more velocity than a pistol.  Many pistols don't even reach the 600fps mark and those that do tend to be rather large and cost about as much if not more than a nice .22 rifle.

Get your self a wrist rocket slingshot and some ball bearings.  If you can shoot a bow, you can shoot one of these.  they are quiet and will easily kill squirrels.  They are fun to use when squirrels are around and the deer hunting is slow.

I don't think there is anything illegal about it either.

I thought for sure this was illegal at one point, but I have checked this year's syllabus and can't find any mention of it...

i think its hilarious when a squirrel is doin its thing then sees you for the first time.  makes me giggle watchin them jump and scream lol

I've got to admit, they sure are comical when all of a sudden they realize what exactly they have gotten so close to. That reaction says it all.

I know in NJ it's legal to shoot squirrels with the bow and field points while deer hunting once the squirrel season opens.  If you don't harvest a deer, you can still take home a couple of squirrel for dinner.

Using the wrist rocket is just less expensive than using up good arrows.

I like having squirrels around. They give me something to watch. Also, squirrels are one of the sentinels of the woods. I figure if they are acting natural around me, the deer likewise will be more relaxed entering the area.. They also will distract deer from you. Any activity (slingshots, bowshots with Zwickeys, pelletguns) are more likely to be noticed by unseen deer.