All about Salmon

Grouse

Found this info online, thought I'd pass it along.

Not all salmon is the same. Save this post for future reference!
Salmon is one of the most widely available fish for consumers, and its one of the oily cold water fish that also have a lot of super important micronutrients. Your omega-3s are a good example. Cooked salmon typically contains 500–1500 mg DHA and 300–1000 mg EPA per 100 grams.
Depending on salmon species, there are different flavor profiles and health benefits. A fattier wild salmon will have more omega-3s, unless that salmon is farmed, in which case it will have more omega-6 fats.
I prefer wild but eat farmed a few times a month because that’s what restaurants serve unless they explicitly tell you it’s wild (nearly all salmon in sushi restaurants is farmed too and I eat sushi all the time).
Often, farmed salmon are kept in huge tanks, and fed ultraprocessed fish meal. Prophylactically antibiotics are often used to prevent infection and many farmed fish around the world were found to contain PCBs and flame retardant residues.
You can buy “better” farmed options from responsible retailers, or sourced from places like Norway who are leading the charge on better farming practices and doing so can help curb overfishing. It’s not always black and white!

1a.jpg

Does anyone know why the salmon that come out of Ontario look nothing like that picture? The flesh is always a milky white-ish color. Is it based on what they eat?
I would assume it's salt water vs fresh. And the type of bait fish they eat in the pacific ocean vs the great lakes

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Does anyone know why the salmon that come out of Ontario look nothing like that picture? The flesh is always a milky white-ish color. Is it based on what they eat?

no food coloring? Farm-raised salmon would naturally be white meat