Could use some opinions

WhitetailAddict11

I made a post back during the summer about two bucks I was keeping tabs on called George and Ralphy. Both bucks bedded on the same over grown pond and fed in the same two clover farm fields throughout the summer. They were very nocturnal and I lost track of them on camera for over a month during the middle of September. Well I caught both of them out feeding Wednesday and Thursday evening during daylight and I made a plan to hunt them this evening if the wind was right. The wind I needed was blowing out of the south and I snuck in perfectly at 3:30 this afternoon overlooking the clover I had found them back in. Well at about 5:45 Ralphy read the script perfectly and stepped out at about 100 yards. He's an awesome buck, by far the biggest deer I may shoot in my lifetime. Well between a swirling wind as the sun was setting, a narrow shooting lane, and a pounding heart, I pulled the trigger on the T/C. The smoke cleared and I watched him run back into the thick stuff tail up and not bleeding. Me and my father found no blood, and although the shot felt good, my gut feeling was screaming with doubt. I need some opinions from you veterans. Who out there has shot a deer and had them run off with tail up, no blood, and found your deer? I'm headed back in the morning, lost light quickly and it began to rain.

I've seen many times no blood with a gun hit. Its amazing how it can happen but it does. Sometimes I've only found a couple little hairs and not a drop of blood but the deer is found dead. You owe the deer the best search you can offer. Just get out there and start lookin you may end up with a big surprise!

Better to go look for him than to think, O I have no sign, probably missed. Could be bleeding out internally. Could have hit him high and its taking a minute to bleed. My uncle shot a buck this year with a bow that didn't bleed for the first 40-50 yards, then poured out blood. I hope we get to see some pictures of him on the ground. Good luck.

I have shot and arrowed deer with little to no blood. 1 time I honestly got lucky by searching and searching. The shot was not great but good enough and his exit wound was plugged. The other was a shotgun hit that just took a while to bleed so didn't find blood for a good 30 yards. I prefer bow kills because they cut and usually bleed quicker. If he is as big as you say then I'd search all day till i was sure. I did miss a nice 8 a few years back with shotgun. He was so close that I think I shot over his back. Like you, I was sure I missed, but looked for hours anyhow. Tail up, ran 10 yards. stood there and then ran away.

No good fellas. I let my mind get the best of me and I rushed, must have shot right over his back. We bumped him off a bed when we went back to start looking yesterday morning and seemed to be fine, no blood in bed, no problem getting away. I was heartbroken all day because I worked so hard for him and he really is a true dandy, I felt like I was watching the outdoor channel when he stepped out. The buck he was running with all summer got killed about 10 mins after I shot. Probably spooked when I shot and ran right to an old timer who was sitting in an area that doesn't necessarily have deer movement. Pure luck. Was tough for me to be happy for him. I like when people earn a deer. Never the less, the buck he shot I had named George, easily a 200 pounder.

No good fellas. I let my mind get the best of me and I rushed, must have shot right over his back. We bumped him off a bed when we went back to start looking yesterday morning and seemed to be fine, no blood in bed, no problem getting away. I was heartbroken all day because I worked so hard for him and he really is a true dandy, I felt like I was watching the outdoor channel when he stepped out. The buck he was running with all summer got killed about 10 mins after I shot. Probably spooked when I shot and ran right to an old timer who was sitting in an area that doesn't necessarily have deer movement. Pure luck. Was tough for me to be happy for him. I like when people earn a deer. Never the less, the buck he shot I had named George, easily a 200 pounder.

He earned it....right place right time.

• Like 1

I believe that's entrance. Just to be clear before I rub anyone the wrong way, I by no means think he was not worthy or any less deserving than myself had I shot the buck, it's just very frustrating when I put in the scouting, waited for the perfect conditions, devised the perfect entrance and exit, and then have to look at the buck after he was shot by someone who has no idea what kind of time and effort was spent in preparation. God's land and creatures are for everyones enjoyment, some of us just enjoy the pursuit of them a bit more than the rest, that's all.

• Like 1

I believe that's entrance. Just to be clear before I rub anyone the wrong way, I by no means think he was not worthy or any less deserving than myself had I shot the buck, it's just very frustrating when I put in the scouting, waited for the perfect conditions, devised the perfect entrance and exit, and then have to look at the buck after he was shot by someone who has no idea what kind of time and effort was spent in preparation. God's land and creatures are for everyones enjoyment, some of us just enjoy the pursuit of them a bit more than the rest, that's all.

nothing wrong with feeling that way. I would be more curious of you if you didn't. I would not quit on the deer you missed though (Ralphy). He's still out there somewhere !

Edited by pawle76

. Probably spooked when I shot and ran right to an old timer who was sitting in an area that doesn't necessarily have deer movement. Pure luck. Was tough for me to be happy for him. I like when people earn a deer. Never the less, the buck he shot I had named George, easily a 200 pounder.

it could be pure luck, or maybe the old timer knew what he was doing,

growing up there was an old timer, always sat in an old pine, I had plenty of laughs at the old timer, he's never going to kill anything there, no sign at all

low and behold he killed a buck there almost every year, why? it was a natural escape route, every year when the shooting started, bucks would use it as a back door escape route,

but maybe it was luck