Fat and hair no blood.

First-light

Shot a real nice one yesterday. Coming to me at 3-5 yards had a slight quartering to me and let the shot got. Heard impact deer ran off tail between legs. Arrow had fat all the way along it and some grey hair on the ground, not white. We looked for 3 hours no blood at all. I think I may of hit neck??? It all happened real quick, maybe a bad shot but he was so close and thought I was going to get busted any moment. I'll play this one over a 100 times in my head, it sucks.

shot high in back.

This is my thought too. Most fat is deposited on a deer's back with the majority on the rump. I can't remember finding fat on a deer's neck. There would likely be some fat in the brisket area. Was the hair short, dark and coarse (brisket) or long and slightly crimped (back)? Either way it sounds like you hit the deer really high or low and is a non-fatal wound.

• Like 2

If you do not practice that shot regularly, I would guees that you missed high..  Depending on the height of your stand at that distance you should put your pin on the bottom of the stomach (at least that is how it isw for me).  With only a slight quartering at that range, that brings a whole additional level of complexity into the mix.. 

This is my thought too. Most fat is deposited on a deer's back with the majority on the rump. I can't remember finding fat on a deer's neck. There would likely be some fat in the brisket area. Was the hair short, dark and coarse (brisket) or long and slightly crimped (back)? Either way it sounds like you hit the deer really high or low and is a non-fatal wound.

Phade and Sam I think you might be right. Hair was short and light brown brown,  no white hairs. The impact noise was odd, like smacking a wooded hollow tube with another piece of wood. Hard to explain but that is what it sounded like. I had his tracks in the leaves for a good 30 yards and found nothing. We continued looking for 3 hours, nothing except for the impact area.

Edited by First-light

If you do not practice that shot regularly, I would guees that you missed high..  Depending on the height of your stand at that distance you should put your pin on the bottom of the stomach (at least that is how it isw for me).  With only a slight quartering at that range, that brings a whole additional level of complexity into the mix.. 

Your right it was so close and the angle, stand is up at least 15 feet. 

about 5 years ago, my brother made the same shot on a 140" 10 point, no recovery

3 weeks later our neighbor killed a big 10, went and looked at the deer same deer with a scare high in the shoulder

while cutting it up, they found 12" of arrow and broadhead in the backstrap, arrow hit turned 90degrees and stayed in the backstrap, he was all healed up and chaseing a doe when he got shot,

maybee he will make it

about 5 years ago, my brother made the same shot on a 140" 10 point, no recovery

3 weeks later our neighbor killed a big 10, went and looked at the deer same deer with a scare high in the shoulder

while cutting it up, they found 12" of arrow and broadhead in the backstrap, arrow hit turned 90degrees and stayed in the backstrap, he was all healed up and chaseing a doe when he got shot,

maybee he will make it

Yea I think he will. Arrow was fully recovered. Again it happened so quick the distance and angle I bet it went right through the left side high up.

Are you ready to joke about it yet? 

Right before the shot is was in the "nut" phase and couldn't believe he was so close. After the shot I went through the "seeking" phase, that lasted 3 hours. 

Just about done with the "mourning" phase so have at it!!!!!!! lol

Right before the shot is was in the "nut" phase and couldn't believe he was so close. After the shot I went through the "seeking" phase, that lasted 3 hours. 

Just about done with the "mourning" phase so have at it!!!!!!! lol

Good, I find humor the best way to deal with a miss. You should be good at it because you miss nearly all of the deer you shoot at.

I thought bigger deer were easier to hit due to their size? Guess not.

I wish I could help you more but I don't miss a whole lot so I am at a loss for advice for you.

Maybe take up small game?

OK I'm done for now. :bye:

• Like 2

Good, I find humor the best way to deal with a miss. You should be good at it because you miss nearly all of the deer you shoot at.

I thought bigger deer were easier to hit due to their size? Guess not.

I wish I could help you more but I don't miss a whole lot so I am at a loss for advice for you.

Maybe take up small game?

OK I'm done for now. :bye:

Let's not forget last year so quickly, 2/3 with the bow last year!

We don't have the kid this year to make us look good....then again, it will take more than Zach shooting a deer every year to make us look good. 

• Like 1

sounds like you hit high... i like those close shots but many guys use there first pin in most cases is 20 yards and its just not enough to compensate for the height in the tree and the shot goes high. try shooting at a 3d target from that height at 5 yards and see where your arrow goes, it will go way high. 

i have what i call a tree stand pin above my 20 yard or first pin. its only used for my tree stand and its good from 5-15 yards being dead on. i love those close shots but you have to practice it and have a pin either designated for it or know how to aim low with your first pin.

the close range shots are only chip shots IF you know how to make them... i love em cause if done right they drain em out quick and you get blood immediately due to high entry low exit. good luck finding him but i dont know how that will go for you