Traffic stops/deer checks?

russellbrook

i guess my point was that i'm sure they do it, but not as much as they'd like to. And i'm thinking that limited funds are why. I don't view a DEC officer checking your truck bed and weapon as any sort of invasion of privacy.

When they start asking me what guns if any have in my trunk I do.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have been stopped twice in the past 5 or 6 years over on the east side of Hoosick.  In both cases there were VT and NY wardens and NY State Police.  They were professional and very thorough with searching coolers and checking tags.  Issue of concern was the transporting of deer across into VT.  They made sure everything was boned.  Ironically I had 2 coolers full of hotdogs, about 800, made from antelope and mule deer from a WY hunt that I had processed in Bath and had just picked up.  They were more curious about the hot dogs and the WY hunt than the NY deer I had shot!  Was it an inconvenience?  Yes, but they were professional.

I've seen check points on RT 28 between Shandaken and Phonecia many years. They're usually only there for a few days after opening day though. I used to see them at the Kingston exit/entrance on the thruway also. Rt 28 is a guantlet of State Troopers anyway with or without deer checkpoints. IMO most Troopers are Delta Bravos regularly. It's sort of a job requirement I guess. ECO's tend to be more affable but some of them can be DB's also.

When they start asking me what guns if any have in my trunk I do.

if you're stopped for speeding right now you must disclose that. If an officer wants to check my broadheads, why am I going to put up a fuss unless they're illegal? Why do you mind showing him your rifle unless you're traveling with an illegal loaded gun or using some sort of illegal bullet?

listen, i'm not for rolling over and letting the gov't into your personal life, but when you travel a govt road and participate in a regulated sport you have to expect to be checked in on. This is no difference from baseball doing stereroid testing. if they didn't test they'd all cheat. If the DEC didn't check for poachers, more would do it then already do and most here seem to be anti-poaching. So what's the big deal?

if you're stopped for speeding right now you must disclose that. If an officer wants to check my broadheads, why am I going to put up a fuss unless they're illegal? Why do you mind showing him your rifle unless you're traveling with an illegal loaded gun or using some sort of illegal bullet?

listen, i'm not for rolling over and letting the gov't into your personal life, but when you travel a govt road and participate in a regulated sport you have to expect to be checked in on. This is no difference from baseball doing stereroid testing. if they didn't test they'd all cheat. If the DEC didn't check for poachers, more would do it then already do and most here seem to be anti-poaching. So what's the big deal?

Point is I had no deer. It should have been OK move along. I had no weapons either. Maybe if he wasn't a doosh about it id have a different view.

• Like 2

If a Trooper or ECO asks a question about anything that's not in plain view (trunk or under seats) they'll be told to come back with a warrant.  I take the Constitution seriously.  I took an oath to defend and uphold it, and that oath didn't end when my enlistment ended. 

• Like 1

You do not have to disclose you have a weapon in the car unless you are asked. Where do you get this stuff?

• Like 1

What's the fine for lying to an officer?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

If you conduct yourself as WNY said there would be no lying. If they asked to se my long guns they would be headed for a warrant to do so. Why? Becasue that is how the game is played. If they want more rules they better be prepared to play by all of them as well.

• Like 4

If you conduct yourself as WNY said there would be no lying. If they asked to se my long guns they would be headed for a warrant to do so. Why? Becasue that is how the game is played. If they want more rules they better be prepared to play by all of them as well.

I've been asked several times in my life if I have any weapons/guns on me/vehicle. Each time I've cooperated fully, even though it is an inconvenience. This one time, I was ticketed for possession of a rimfire, in a no rifle zone. Honest mistake on my part, but I felt even more of an ass because I volunteered that info and didn't get a break for being honest. Expensive lesson learned that day.

as someone said earlier, ECO's have slightly different rules when it comes to warrantless searches than other law enforcement agency's.........if you get stopped at a deer check where there are other Officer's and you can be detained while they grant your request, you may just get it.........if it's just you and him in a remote location, it will be a different story.

I've been asked several times in my life if I have any weapons/guns on me/vehicle. Each time I've cooperated fully, even though it is an inconvenience. This one time, I was ticketed for possession of a rimfire, in a no rifle zone. Honest mistake on my part, but I felt even more of an ass because I volunteered that info and didn't get a break for being honest. Expensive lesson learned that day.

you had a rimfire in your car in a no rifle  zone?

Simple possession of a rifle in a shotgun-only hunting area isn't illegal.  Unless it was loaded and you were hunting with it.  I'd have fought that ticket to the top.  Until last year, Cayuga County was a SG-only county.  Was it illegal for me to transport my .17HMR (unloaded) to the range during hunting season?  NO

You lost me on the rimfire/ no rifle zone thing. Anyway...

Ive been asked many times as well, and always answered honestly. Im just saying, if they dont ask, you shouldnt tell. It is not a requirement to tell a police officer that you have a gun on you if they dont ask. There have been countless times Ive had my handgun on me and encountered police, and they never knew it was there.

as someone said earlier, ECO's have slightly different rules when it comes to warrantless searches than other law enforcement agency's.........if you get stopped at a deer check where there are other Officer's and you can be detained while they grant your request, you may just get it.........if it's just you and him in a remote location, it will be a different story.

You may want to go check that. I personally know ECO and probable cause IS still their standard. They can request and you must comly if the weapon is in plain sight or they can search without consent if you are arrested for another crime. Other that that is is all probable casue. and them asking if you have a weapon IS NOT probable cause to search it.

Simple possession of a rifle in a shotgun-only hunting area isn't illegal. Unless it was loaded and you were hunting with it. I'd have fought that ticket to the top. Until last year, Cayuga County was a SG-only county. Was it illegal for me to transport my .17HMR (unloaded) to the range during hunting season? NO

Maybe you are right. Maybe not. I re-read the wording in the property, and it was "possession of a rifle is not allowed". Rimfire was cased, in the locked trunk, buried under all my junk. Took 5 minutes to dig it out to show the ranger who then issued me the summons. I paid the ticket and haven't brought my rifles there anymore. Everyone pays for their mistakes.

You lost me on the rimfire/ no rifle zone thing. Anyway...

Ive been asked many times as well, and always answered honestly. Im just saying, if they dont ask, you shouldnt tell. It is not a requirement to tell a police officer that you have a gun on you if they dont ask. There have been countless times Ive had my handgun on me and encountered police, and they never knew it was there.

I'm just saying, what if one lied to a LEO and said no, when in fact they do have guns, legally. Ops lie to get information all the time, I don't see why citizens can't. Perhaps you can be charged with some type of interfering of an investigation.

Didn't know they still did deer check stations.  When I was a kid there was always one at the school on Rte 28 in Forestport but I haven't seen it in probably almost 20 years.  As I recall they just had a sign on the road asking deer hunters to pull in.  Dad never stopped because we never had one.

If a Trooper or ECO asks a question about anything that's not in plain view (trunk or under seats) they'll be told to come back with a warrant.  I take the Constitution seriously.  I took an oath to defend and uphold it, and that oath didn't end when my enlistment ended. 

i would do the same. but someone can correct me if i'm wrong. the DEC have more power in some areas then troopers.

Simple possession of a rifle in a shotgun-only hunting area isn't illegal.  Unless it was loaded and you were hunting with it.  I'd have fought that ticket to the top.  Until last year, Cayuga County was a SG-only county.  Was it illegal for me to transport my .17HMR (unloaded) to the range during hunting season?  NO

probably true, but it wouldn't look too good especially if you had a buck in your bed.

You do not have to disclose you have a weapon in the car unless you are asked. Where do you get this stuff?

has a cop ever pulled you over and not asked? lol. you know what my point was. I'm not a cop or cop lover. But I also do not understand the guy who is just a pain in the ass because he feels he can be. You're not doing anything wrong and you go on your way. You be a stubborn pita all you're doing is delaying yourself from getting to where you were going.

Edited by Belo

has a cop ever pulled you over and not asked? lol. you know what my point was. I'm not a cop or cop lover. But I also do not understand the guy who is just a pain in the ass because he feels he can be. You're not doing anything wrong and you go on your way. You be a stubborn pita all you're doing is delaying yourself from getting to where you were going.

I can say that more often than not, they have not asked. I am not talking about being a pain in the ass.