Ever shoot a deer more than once,twice, three times and it behaved like the Ever

wztirem

A friend of mine once shot a deer three times with a 30:06 and the bugger would not die. Thankfully, after 8 or more hours we were finally able to recover it after a an extremely long track.Upon recovery it appeared that the first entry wound should have been enough to kill the deer but for whatever reason the deer had other plans.

From what I remember he said he said after he shot it the first time it went down in a pile, got up, he shot it again, knocked it down, again, it got up, shot it a third time and it just took off. We looked all night for the deer finally finding it.

It should be noted that the guy was a marine and a dead shot! The darn deer did not want to die.

how quick did he start pushing it to keep it moving ?  I shot a 183 pound 8 point saturday with a 250 grain lead round nose bullet in a sabot.  he ran 40 yards and piled up. By the time I walked the 40 yards, he was gone. Double lung pass through.  They travel 1500 feet per second.  I am guessing he took off right after it, and it kept moving to stay away instead of letting it lie down.

One guy I know hit a buck with a 12 gauge slug 5 times , only 1 not in the vitals and it still ran over 100 yards after the last hit. It was a big buck, but still, darn thing just wouldnt go down. He was trying to get it down before it crossed onto a neighboring property. Myself, Ive only ever put 2 at the most into a deer.

I shot a doe with my bow back twenty or so years ago. I made what I considered a good hit on her, I hit her just behind the shoulder. When I hit her, she turned and ran 30 yards and laid down. I said to myself, got her. I shot her at about  4:00 pm in afternoon. I sat and watched until dark and she never put her head down. She had two fawns with her.  I was hunting close to my brothers house , so I went over to get a cup of coffee and to give her time to die. After an hour and a half I headed out with my brother to get the deer. My brother had a big flash light and we headed out to get her. When we got there , she was still there with her head up and looking around. Her two fawns were laiding by her.When we put the light on her, her eyes were as dull as can be , but her head was up. I told my brother that we should back out and come back in the morning to get her. The next morning I was in no hurry ,so I got to my brother house about 8:30 the next morning. My brother said he would give me a hand to get her out. We got up there about 9:00 am. There was a heavy frost on the gound. We walked up to were she had been laiding and she was gone. All that was there was a full bed of blood. We figured with all the blood in her bed that she couldn,t be far. We had to get down on our hands and knees to track her. We went a good 400 yards that way, finding little specks of blood. we found her because her two fawn got up and ran a short distance and stood waiting for her. She was still alive. We jumped on her and had to cut her throat and even then she did not want to die. When we cut her throat there was not one drop of blood in her. The only thing I could figure was that her fawns keep her goig.

When we cut her open to clean her out ,we checked what I had hit. I took out one lung and and sliced one side of her heart. After that hit and laiding al night in that cold, and then to get up and go that far is hard to bellieve and I will never forget it. She did not want to die

My two biggest deer a nice 8 pt and a huge doe both took 2 hits before they would die. The buck I hit right behind the front shoulder and he took off running and the second shot dropped him in his tracks. The doe was almost the exact same thing. I hit her my first shot and she walked all the way across the field. On my fourth shot (missed her twice) she dropped. Just amazing at what they can tolerate.

First buck I ever shot...shot him down ...wait... start to him...he pops up ...I shoot him...down ...ect.... 4 times across the property...Dad in-law watching me from the ridge...couldn't believe it....He finally jumped the fence and was dead on landing and slid down " the no go zone" guys property next door...I was rather ..."well with child" and the guys couldn't find him...a friend found him the next week just yrds over the line in brush....This was way before the yotes  arrived...I'd hit him each time...guys said they couldn't believe he kept going from where the shots were

My father in law got me into deer hunting in 1965 . It was shotgun only and you could only shoot a doe if you had a "party permit" and the guy with the armband was the only one allowed to shoot . He told me , "if you knock one down , get to it fast and put another slug in it's neck . You might just daze one and he''ll get up and run on you " ! It was good advice !

Thankfully not many! And the price for ammo in my rifle it's a good thing.  I had an old doe several seasons ago take three in the boiler room. The first and second shot there was no reaction of being hit ,I mean she swayed a bit. Thought I missed or made a bad hit  put number 3 in her and she went in a heap. And I have seen guys hit deer in vitals and go for a long tracking job.

Last year i shot a nice 8 three times with the bow first shot blow thru behind the shoulder at 18 yds it then it came in to 12 yds another blow thru lung area stayed there i got another arrow shot again low skimming his chest  he just looked around came to the base of my stand  i mean under my stand stood there for 10 minutes looking around walked about 8 to 10 yards bedded down , looking down the hill i was out of arrows and still had two hours of light left so i sat in the stand just watching him i got down at dark i could still see him he was 10 yards from me i could see his rack moving around i got out of there and went up the next morning and he was 60 yards down the hill.

post-314-131455367122_thumb.jpg

first year big gam hunting (16) i shot my 14 point with the gun. i was shooting a remington 1100 12 ga. hit the buck good, lung shot. he ran and i kept shooting 5 rounds emptied, prob hit him atleast 4 times. went after himand found him laying just beyond the edge of the feild put 2 more in him.. runined the back straps and got ribbed by camp like you wouldnt beleive lol. will never do that again...