Who is ready for some gun action this weekend!

burmjohn

There is a track of smaller pines near me I want to checkout this season. Always activity coming out of there with a few solid trails. Maybe good for a sit on a day it rains.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Or still hunt through it. 2 steps, look & listen, and repeat. A 100 yard walk could take 10 minutes. Potential to sneak up on bedded deer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Or still hunt through it. 2 steps, look & listen, and repeat. A 100 yard walk could take 10 minutes. Potential to sneak up on bedded deer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Aye this too. Nothing like a nice slow walk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

It amazes me how many hunters these days think that a deer can only be killed from tree stands. I've got some news for them. Leave that ATV behind too. Walking around a bit can many times be more productive than hanging on to a tree all day long. Being on the ground is a hell of a lot safer too. I' ll be damned if I'll break every bone in my body falling from a flimsy tree stand just to kill a deer!

• Like 1

It amazes me how many hunters these days think that a deer can only be killed from tree stands. I've got some news for them. Leave that ATV behind too. Walking around a bit can many times be more productive than hanging on to a tree all day long. Being on the ground is a hell of a lot safer too. I' ll be damned if I'll break every bone in my body falling from a flimsy tree stand just to kill a deer!

Walk around all you want, you'll just push them towards me. I prefer a stand, keeps my scent away, my movement concealed and some great angles. To each his own. I do laugh at the guy who puts his stand up the weekend before though.

Just about ready to go. Ended up doing 6 loads of laundry (including the kid's laundry) to make sure that all the clothes were washed so I could find my lucky shirt!!! Plus it made the wife happy that the laundry was done.

Gun is sighted in, bag is packed and there is no day like opening day. Plus hunting with my 80 yr old great uncle and other relatives while I can is a blessing in it self.

Hope everyone has a great and safe opening weekend.

• Like 1

Walk around all you want, you'll just push them towards me. I prefer a stand, keeps my scent away, my movement concealed and some great angles. To each his own. I do laugh at the guy who puts his stand up the weekend before though.

Angles? With a gun? Oh wait its Belo, never mind I forgot who I was reading. lol

I guess Im ready, haven't really put a bunch of thought into it.

I don't see why people on this site argue over what is better sitting, walking, stand, or blind. Why not utilize every means available. I once started a thread on here blinds vs treestands and it was amazing to sit back and watch and laugh at the responses people wrote. This year I hunted from the ground, tree stand, ground blind, platform blind and anything else I could think of.

• Like 4

I got G()D damn ants in my pants...knee is bouncing up and down....keep rubbing my hands together in anticipation of opening morning.

Wife and co-workers are tolerating my sudden outbursts, pounding on the desk...hoots & hollers of "shotgun season!" outbursts and @ss slappin' taunts.

By Friday night, I will be emotionally drained and crash. Maybe 3-4hrs of sleep if lucky. 45min drive to cousins place.

We'll sit till maybe 10am. When we walkout and his house comes into view; we will see an army of orange waiting in his driveway/yard. Then onto the big swamp to put on a drive.

Good times had by all.

• Like 1

I'm excited about Saturdays opener, my 23 year old is REALLY excited. The only thing I don't look forward to is the orange army on the state land. We plan to start walking in at 0530 ish, I'm hoping we can find a spot not allready occupied ! My vacation is the last week of gun season and I'll have the whole 1000 + acres to myself, or at least share it with a minimal number of other hunters.

• Like 1

Yesterday morning was about to walk out the door for work and saw a sweet wide 6 pointer in my driveway near my car looking all around. First time I saw a buck in my yard. He looked both ways, and walked down my driveway. 

In this split second, I actually said "damnit, where's my bow?" and ran back up the stairs (in my dress pants, shirt and shined shoes looking for my bow.)

Then I thought, wait do I have a buck tag? Crap I already shot a buck, guess I'll watch him. As he tried to cross the road a truck came down the road and he ran back up to my car, looked around then walked slowly across the street.

It's amazing how easily excited and flustered I became after seeing a nice buck, I forgot for 10 seconds that I had to go to work and that I don't have a buck tag. LOL

Yes, I am very excited.

I'm excited about Saturdays opener, my 23 year old is REALLY excited. The only thing I don't look forward to is the orange army on the state land. We plan to start walking in at 0530 ish, I'm hoping we can find a spot not allready occupied ! My vacation is the last week of gun season and I'll have the whole 1000 + acres to myself, or at least share it with a minimal number of other hunters.

I'm also excited can't get it out my head lol I'm also 23 us young bucks gotta stick together