Otsego County hunting fatality

PREDATE

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Police-investigate-hunting-fatality-232269181.html

New York State Police are investigating a hunting fatality that happened on the day deer hunting season opened.

State police said Charles Bruce, 52, Franklin Square, NY, was shot in the chest and died at the scene Saturday morning.

They said Bruce was shot in the woods near Steve Braun Road in the Town of Westford, Otsego County.

State police, along with the Otsego County District Attorney's Office and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation are investigating.

Such a shame. I wonder if it was self inflicted or if they are looking for someone.

RIP

From what I've heard, mind everyone it's what I've heard. He was shot by a member of his hunting party. Supposedly the shooter heard a noise in the brush and shot. Unfortunate for the victim. Prayers for the Bruce family.

From what I've heard, mind everyone it's what I've heard. He was shot by a member of his hunting party. Supposedly the shooter heard a noise in the brush and shot. Unfortunate for the victim. Prayers for the Bruce family.

that's all too often the case........what a shame.

VERY sad....Condolences to family and to shooter, who's life will never be the same.

At 51 years old, I still can't understand how ANYONE, EVER, shoots at movement or noise in the "brush". I have shot many, many deer, and I have always know the sex, and size of the animal before shooting. AND, I have always made sure whats behind the deer is case I miss.

Hunters safety courses spend hours on this....How does it happen almost every year?????

VERY sad....Condolences to family and to shooter, who's life will never be the same.

At 51 years old, I still can't understand how ANYONE, EVER, shoots at movement or noise in the "brush". I have shot many, many deer, and I have always know the sex, and size of the animal before shooting. AND, I have always made sure whats behind the deer is case I miss.

Hunters safety courses spend hours on this....How does it happen almost every year?????

There are a few reasons as I see it

1. The safest people in the woods are the ones who just finished a course.  As we get older, we get sloppy cut corners

2. Hunter competition  having to be the first to get a deer on the ground.   A six pack to the first guy etc.  

3. DMP's  no need to identify a target if you have a tag for everything

4. Illegal activity.  Almost every one of these incidents involves some sort of illegal activity   Could be sharing doe tags trespassing and being nervous about it etc

5. Just plain stupidity.

I have said several times I were to be involved on one of these situations please let me be the guy getting shot.  

What bothers me most is the desperation factor some people have on killing a deer. I almost got shot by a tresspasser 3 years ago that really freaked me out when he shot a buck 50 yards in front of me from the opposite wood line. Terrible situation that should've never happened.

Bunch of idiots out there... thats why I try and stay on private land.

I hunt private and all the land around me is private. Still you have to watch where everyone is and what they are doing. You also can have lowlife trespassers that can give a rats ass about your  life.

• Like 1

When I'm looking for deer it is slight movement or the color white I pick up first. Flick of a tail or white on neck and legs. Then identify it is a deer.

I was field dressing my deer in 50 degree weather Saturday. I stripped off layers and got down to my long johns which are white. I took off that shirt quickly but

that may have been enough for someone to shoot. Just a thought and I will do things differently in the future.

I really dont want to open a can of worms here, but I still cant understand how anyone would go in the woods full of gun hunters without wearing blaze orange ! ( not sure that was the case here ) I dont get it. I understand the whole concealment thing, I wear camo during the gun season but put an orange vest and hat on. BUT it's only a deer, I rather come home at night.

I was hunting with a friend of mine Sat afternoon. We split up and I went about 200 yards from him. I got out of my stand at sunset and as soon as i started walking all I can see was the orange glow of his jacket from over 150 yards away. Because of that I knew right where he was in the low light. It convinced me even more not to be caught in the woods without it. Just my opinion.

Prayers to the family from a fellow firefighter.

Edited by Catskill Hunter
  • Like 1

I really dont want to open a can of worms here, but I still cant understand how anyone would go in the woods full of gun hunters without wearing blaze orange ! ( not sure that was the case here ) I dont get it. I understand the whole concealment thing, I wear camo during the gun season but put an orange vest and hat on. BUT it's only a deer, I rather come home at night.

I was hunting with a friend of mine Sat afternoon. We split up and I went about 200 yards from him. I got out of my stand at sunset and as soon as i started walking all I can see was the orange glow of his jacket from over 150 yards away. Because of that I knew right where he was in the low light. It convinced me even more not to be caught in the woods without it. Just my opinion.

Prayers to the family and fellow firefighter.

Totally agree, second report said it was around 4:30. You need to be seen especially if your on the move at the first and last hunting hours of the day.