Malverne Firefighter killed in Hunting Accident

Deerthug

Just saw this on News12.com.  A Malverne Firefighter who was hunting up in Oneonta was killed in a hunting accident.  RIP. 

MALVERNE - A Malverne firefighter was killed in a weekend hunting accident in upstate New York.

Members of the Malverne Fire Department have purple and black bunting on the building and their flags are at half-staff in honor of 52-year-old Charlie Bruce. Members say the father of two, who lived in Franklin Square, had a passion for firefighting, golfing, smoking cigars and hunting.

The chief says the shooter that accidentally killed Bruce was a former firefighter at the department and is very distraught over what happened.

Just saw this on News12.com.  A Malverne Firefighter who was hunting up in Oneonta was killed in a hunting accident.  RIP. 

MALVERNE - A Malverne firefighter was killed in a weekend hunting accident in upstate New York.

Members of the Malverne Fire Department have purple and black bunting on the building and their flags are at half-staff in honor of 52-year-old Charlie Bruce. Members say the father of two, who lived in Franklin Square, had a passion for firefighting, golfing, smoking cigars and hunting.

The chief says the shooter that accidentally killed Bruce was a former firefighter at the department and is very distraught over what happened.

I was just watching News 12 and saw the same, apparently the shooter mistook him for a deer.......................I hate to be the one to say this, but how does that happen?

• Like 1

It's horrible. I'd also like to know how it happened.  Update, found article below..

"Charlie had a bad back, so he went back to his room to rest. And when he came back out, one guy saw a tree move and fired," said a close friend of the victim’s who asked to remain anonymous.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/li-firefighter-shot-friend-mistakes-deer-article-1.1520996#ixzz2l6JkXfqE

That's just not acceptable, friend or not he should be held responsible for negligence. 

On opening day I wore blaze orange pants, a blaze orange vest, a blazer orange dickey, and a blaze orange hat. I don't take any chances and whether I am in camo or orange head to toe, it has never affected my deer sightings.

I agree, why take a chance.  I also have my flashlight on not because I can't see, but because I rather be seen.  

• Like 1

when you intentionally shoot something, is that really an accident? a stray bullet, malfunctioning gun or mishandling a gun can all lead to accidental shootings.........but aiming a gun at something and pulling the trigger with the intention of shooting it? I have a tough time calling that an accident.

I agree, why take a chance.  I also have my flashlight on not because I can't see, but because I rather be seen.  

and I forgot to note that I am hunting private property. Only 8 acres, but still private. But I still would rather been seen by somebody than shot at for being mistaken as a deer. My Dad has probably killed 20+ bucks in a bright red (now pinkish) jacket. Anytime we are scheduled to meet in the woods, I see him coming from very far away. The bright red/pink really stands out. There's no mistaking him for a deer.

Did he have orange on?...and to another comment made above...I once heard a local say..I'm not referring to this case.....

That the best time to commit a murder in NYS is during gun season.... Over the many years of experience around here...I'm thinking that is closer to the true than one might think...very very scarey ....

I definitely get nervous during gun in ways I don't during Bow, and that's on private property! I haven't been out much with gun. I like to wait a week or so after opener for things to calm. Hoping my big 8 is still on his feet.

agreed, but it's hard not to go out. most deer killed i think are bumped by other hunters.

It's horrible. I'd also like to know how it happened.  Update, found article below..

"Charlie had a bad back, so he went back to his room to rest. And when he came back out, one guy saw a tree move and fired," said a close friend of the victim’s who asked to remain anonymous.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/li-firefighter-shot-friend-mistakes-deer-article-1.1520996#ixzz2l6JkXfqE

That's just not acceptable, friend or not he should be held responsible for negligence. 

Exactly. I don't know what kind of idiot would shoot into the bushes or a tree just because it's moving. He should absolutely be arrested

Exactly. I don't know what kind of idiot would shoot into the bushes or a tree just because it's moving. He should absolutely be arrested

With the wind shaking every tree and branch in the woods this weekend, it's a wonder he didn't run out of ammo right off the bat .... :hunter: .

Let us look at all the facts.  The guy left the woods due to his back hurting.  he was coming back in at 4:30 with 10 minutes left of legal light 60 yards in front of his buddy on watch.  The guy saw brush moving and shot.  The guy pulling the trigger is responsible not the guy walking in.  Saw a tree move and shot at a guy returning to hunt with 10 minutes of legal light left  That is the take away message.  Every incident that happens the first thing everyone jumps to is the blaze orange thing.  Look at the whole picture here.  yes blaze orange is safe.  But it is not the end all.  Hunter responsibility is.  KNOW YOUR TARGET AND BEYOND.I gotta say if I had to hunt in the conditions that you guys describe, I would take up bowling.

• Like 1

Let us look at all the facts. The guy left the woods due to his back hurting. he was coming back in at 4:30 with 10 minutes left of legal light 60 yards in front of his buddy on watch. The guy saw brush moving and shot. The guy pulling the trigger is responsible not the guy walking in. Saw a tree move and shot at a guy returning to hunt with 10 minutes of legal light left That is the take away message. Every incident that happens the first thing everyone jumps to is the blaze orange thing. Look at the whole picture here. yes blaze orange is safe. But it is not the end all. Hunter responsibility is. KNOW YOUR TARGET AND BEYOND.I gotta say if I had to hunt in the conditions that you guys describe, I would take up bowling.

I

Just trying to get some facts straight here Bubba, I'msmart enough to figure out the rest.

Was this guy wearing just camo? I haven't read an article that states this but some of you guys are saying he didn't have BO on.

From what I've heard neither of them had any orange clothing on.  This is from what I've heard.  Either way it's no excuse for what happened. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is saying that blaze orange protects you from a bullet. There are no "fool-proof" items that will keep you safe. And by the same token, there is no way that anyone will convince me that the use of blaze orange doesn't cut down hunting fatalities and maiming. I for one am not solely trusting my safety on the fact that everyone has been told to guarantee their target and to consider the safety of conditions in front of and behind that target. We all know that safety training doesn't always take on everybody. That flash of orange may be the only thing that stops the trigger from being squeezed some day when I am in the wrong place at the wrong time? How do I know that it hasn't already happened?