Weekend Wind & Weather Shift

Meat Manager

Looks like the Southern Breeze is going to transition into a mild to moderate Northwestern Wind accompanied by sustained lower temps and some snow.

Accuweather is forecasting about 1" of snow right at sunrise Saturday morning in my area (7f). I am planning on hunting the end of the southern front Thursday pm and Friday am, and then hunting as much as possible in the cold Saturday and Sunday.

I feel like this is the cold snap that is gonna be perfectly timed with late chase - peak breeding up here by weedsport. Most of the corn just came down around here...hoping all of this points to a monster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like rain Saturday and 18 degrees and wind on Sunday. Sucks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

That does suck. Up here calling for occasional light rain Friday, then it drops nicely and looking at good tracking snow totals in the forecast through Monday.

I don't envy you but who knows maybe you'll catch a break in the weather or see your palmated albino despite the conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

They are saying 16/29 for Sunday and windy by me.

Glad it is not archery season still - would never be able to shoot a recurve in that.

This also cuts out an afternoon pheasant hunt - too cold and windy for them to make an appearance.

My pickiest child wants to eat another pheasant - guess she will have to wait awhile.

• Like 1

I just finished up a 4 hour still hunt. The wind I was whining about this morning has stopped completely except for that damned swirling. What I have been reminded of is how loud the leaves can be when there is absolutely no wind, and they are all dried out. Of course, I believe I have totally lost my "sneak" with old age. You got to pick those damned feet up, and my balance isn't what it needs to be for foot and weight control.

It doesn't matter anyway. I got a whole lot of exercise. But either I need some snow, or some rain to dampen those leaves a bit or bring back a little wind. Or maybe if I can find a buck that is deaf. You know one of those old "Mature" bucks .... lol.

• Like 3

How do you guys stay warm enough to stay out when it's real windy and temps are in the 10-20°F range? I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely am curious. I have a really nice thermal balaclava for my head/neck and layer up otherwise, but the wind just seems to cut through me at those temperatures. I still hunt (very slow walk) in these conditions and just get so darned cold after a few hours.

Wish the deer bedded on the property I can hunt, as it is I just hope for lucky movement.

How do you guys stay warm enough to stay out when it's real windy and temps are in the 10-20°F range? I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely am curious. I have a really nice thermal balaclava for my head/neck and layer up otherwise, but the wind just seems to cut through me at those temperatures. I still hunt (very slow walk) in these conditions and just get so darned cold after a few hours.

Wish the deer bedded on the property I can hunt, as it is I just hope for lucky movement.

Layers, layers, oh, and more layers.  And maybe some Army cold weather gear that I "forgot" to turn in when I got out.  After a few hours, I'm ready to head in a warm up myself, so don't feel bad.  Go in, warm up , have a cup of joe, then go back out for a few more hours.

Put one of those sore muscle type heating pads with the sticky stuff over your kidney area . Your body has no choice but to circulate the hot blood around .

• Like 2

Layers, layers, oh, and more layers.  And maybe some Army cold weather gear that I "forgot" to turn in when I got out.  After a few hours, I'm ready to head in a warm up myself, so don't feel bad.  Go in, warm up , have a cup of joe, then go back out for a few more hours.

I sometimes layer to the point of ridiculousness, hah! I sometimes joke with my dad that I run out of clothes in deer season. Truly though I depend on many layers of thermals and sweaters, etc. I am using woolrich outer pants and a nice lined jacket from the 70s... one of the blaze orange suckers lined with corduroy.  I am starting to wonder if there are any newer materials that are better in the cold. The woolriches are hardly threadbare (man they made these suckers heavy) but being on a budget I never really looked for anything different.

Edited by Jennifer

I typically wear two pairs of thermal bottoms, two pairs of thermal tops.  Then thick wool pants and a wool sweater.  On top of this goes a windproff fleece pullover, then a wool vest.  I then put on a woolrich jacket.  Over all of this goes an insulated bib in 3XL.  I then have a fleece gaitor that I put around my neck and insert three hot packs between the gaitor and my skin and a wool cap goes on my head along with two hot packs I throw in my cap.  I can sit on stand all day like this.  The secret is layering and also adding supplemental heat with the handwarmers/hotpacks

I'll have to look into the supplemental heat. I bought my dad one of those zippo hand-warming units last year and we are really unhappy with it... it's not like the old fashioned ones that he says that the guys he hunted with used to use.

The one use heat packs get pricey, I will have to see if there are any re-useable solutions for next year.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Under Armour cold gear base layer 2.0 and I'm fine dark to dark in 20 degrees. If its near or below zero I wear the 4.0. I've been in -21 without wind chill and was fine. Mind you, I hate the cold. Boots wise I hate cold feet so when its really cold I wear inferno 2000 pac boots.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

post-871-13850881492008_thumb.jpg

• Like 1