Big Doe Today

New York Hillbilly

With it as foggy and drizzly as it was this morning, I figured the deer would be on the move. I had my nephew go high on the ridge and I settled into my "tree tent". This spot overlooks a logging road that cuts through a large scrub apple orchard on the side of a hill, with deep ravines and creek bottoms. At about 7:30 I had two small does only a few yards from my tree tent, but in the thicket and no shots. At a little after 8 am, I watched several deer walking up the ridge about 130 yards away. The first may have been a buck , then came some medium to small sized does. Then came a big doe who turned and walked downhill at first then turned and started back up the hill. When she passed a small apple tree and was broadside I put the crosshairs on her and fired. She immediately dropped to the ground but a wave of "what the heck" raced over me as several deer bounded back down the hill. For a moment I thought she was one of them and I could not believe I had missed.

My nephew texted me and asked if I had been the one who shot. When I said yes he was all excited and asked if he could "come help". Lol! He really was cold. Hahaha. When he got to me we walked over and there she was dead in the spot she was shot . Thankfully no tracking on this one because it is real thick where I was hunting. Another good memory for me as I enjoy being back home to spend time with my family. Lots to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!

post-1562-0-57009500-1385579111_thumb.jp

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 9

Thanks folks! It's nice to be able to share the experience with others who "get it". I was just thinking that one of the reasons I actually pulled the trigger today was because my nephew was there to share in it. It was fun to see him smile and his eyes light up! Have a Happy Thanksgiving all!

Oh and you're right First-Light, they pretty much stay put when you put the shot there.

Edited by New York Hillbilly

Hey and for those who need a laugh ( at my expense....permission granted) let me show you my stand from this morning. I call it my "tree tent" or my "buddy stand". Not because I take anybody up there with me, but because I actually have one of those small propane "buddy heaters" in it. I haven't turned the heater on yet this year because ... Uh ... Well... I'm afraid it might be seen as a bit if overkill. Hahaha. Or, more honestly I'm afraid the tent might fill up with propane and when it sparks the whole mess might go up in one quick.... Whoosh!!! And then I'll go down in local lore as the hunter who flash fried himself in the top of a pine tree. Hahaha!!

post-1562-0-06321300-1385591432_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thanks Bubba

hunter49, The visibility is excellent because you can unzip three sides. I only unzip the one though because I have it positioned in a way that I take advantage of the biggest (no pun intended) window of opportunity. I know how the deer travel for the most part after twenty years of hunting the same farm and use that to my advantage. By opening only the one window it really cuts the wind to a mere nuisance at it's worst. That is unless the wind is coming from that direction an then it's like being in a car wash with your windows down. LOL!

Been passing doe and small bucks since the opener...After hunting hard, in areas where I have 2 "shooter" bucks on camera, I decided I had to fill one of my 4 doe tags. This afternoon that happened with a nice mature doe, 1 shot, clean kill...BUT I hate shooting doe with fawns...I let them walk all week, and just had to get it done....I have done this many times in my hunting career, but it bothers me every time.

I know the odds are very good the fawns will survive fine, and end up hanging with the herd this winter, I just wish every big doe I see, didn't have little ones in tow,

Anyone else feel the same?

post-3941-0-42499100-1385599540_thumb.jp