Their Fallen Off. Already?

If it had an antler when he pulled the trigger, it's a buck....end of story.

At least that's the honest thing to do.

NY goes by antlered and antlerless.

When you reach down to attach the tag, if it doesn't have antlers, it doesn't have antlers.

It has nothing to do with honesty. I'm not lying or being unethical or being immoral...I'm simply tagging according to the law.

I suspect he could probably do either and be OK legally and personally with his moral compass.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

In the OP case, are they not shed antlers? If so, wouldn't they be obtainable as such?

Don't know about broken antlers.

This is no different than if someone shot a button or a spike with 2.9in antlers as I see it. If I shot a 2.9in spike, it's going on my DMP as such.

Whatever it is, do what is legal, and what is right to you.

which would be applicable if it was a buck tag. but it is an antlered tag. which it isn't.

Honestly I think DEC would not have a problem either way if you had the antler with you.

If they fell off maybe. If a guy walks out of the woods with say a 8inch spike buck with both antlers broke off, in the guys hand and an antlerless tag on the..Buck..there could and should be a problem.

If they fell off maybe. If a guy walks out of the woods with say a 8inch spike buck with both antlers broke off, in the guys hand and an antlerless tag on the..Buck..there could and should be a problem.

But these were obviously NOT broken off. Come one FSW, you of all people know the difference in a break and a natural shed. I have seen them fall off due to stress like an arrow wound. 2 bucks in the last 8 years I have seen with these wounds and all pussed up. each had one antler gone and the other antler cam off when grabbed. Both of those weren't fit for consumption though.

didnt read through all the posts, but my father shot a buck last tuesday Nov. 26th. only had one antler, other looked like it had been shed, i was talking to a buddy of mine he said look for wounds....sure ehough he had an infected wound behind his ear, most likely from fighting, so im prettsure thats what caused him to shed that one antler. they will shed them if they wounded or not getting good neutrition to save on there enegry.

If it had an antler when he pulled the trigger, it's a buck....end of story.

At least that's the honest thing to do.

Why? So then when pulled over down the road the Encon officer can give him a ticket for incorrect tagging of a deer? It has no antlers it is

antlerless and should have a DMP attached.  That is unless he does not HAVE a DMP for that area, then in that case I would not touch it

and call Encon, show them the antler & the deer & they will probably tell him to put the buck tag on anyway, but either way he will be

in the clear of getting into trouble.

• Like 1

We go coyote hunting in 3m the second week of February, and two years ago,  I had 47 deer go by me within 75 yards.  All herded up, and in the valley, in the snow, they came by single file first 4 sets of does, 5 then 22, another 5 and finally three.  All does, spotted em pretty good, no nubs, but then the procession started.  4 bucks with spike and 4pts, then 4 bucks, sixes and small eights, then 4, 8's and tens; all with their racks intact.  I couldn't believe it that they were still on on Feb 11th.  I thought they dropped em earlier than that.  Best day of hunting, seeing so many deer, but didn't have to pull up the gun at all, just the binocs.  And it was great to see so many bucks still around, especially since we shot 14 that season.