Antler Width

skeets716

What is considered a decent spread for Antlers?  Shot my first 8 pt this year so it is the first time I've had an interest in it.  Had a little over a 16" spread.  He was big as he dressed out at 175lbs, got a lot of venison for the freezer.  I appreciate your opinions...

The trophy in the shooters eyes,who cares???Kill what you want to kill and be happy about it.If a 1 1/2 year old spike or 4 is what makes you happy and your not in a AR area then drop the hammer,or set your sights as high as you and whatever deer are available will let you.

WTH, he wasn't bitching or saying he was unhappy.  He merely asked a question regarding what is considered a decent spread.

• Like 2

17-18" is around average for these parts. 20" + would be considered "wide". Spread gives you a general impression but an above average spread doesn't contribute to the score as much as above average mass or tine length.

^^^^^ this ^^^^^   .... however we do see many 2.5 year olds just within the ears, being closer to 15-16".  that's outside not inside for me.

I agree 16 to 18 is about the norrmal for inside. over 18 is getting wide. 24Inside is widest i've seen with decent beam llength being important to me as well. Some magazines show a 30 in wide buck but beams are only 20 in , looks like some one with their arms spread wide... iI like to seem them wide but with long enough beams to curve back in!

The trophy in the shooters eyes,who cares???Kill what you want to kill and be happy about it.If a 1 1/2 year old spike or 4 is what makes you happy and your not in a AR area then drop the hammer,or set your sights as high as you and whatever deer are available will let you.

I consider any deer a trophy and another old adage "...you can't eat the antlers."  Again, I was just looking for opinions on a topic that was new to me.