Head Shots

sampotter

My brother head shot a deer with a 7MM, he checked it walked over to get his pack and when he turned the deer was on its feet again. Blind but standing. I downed a doe and a spike, walked up and put a 300 Savage in the doe's head and she just looked at me, the spike got a 12 ga slug and was still breathing. An arrow is designed for blood loss not shock so I can't see a bow head shot.

• Like 1

An arrow is designed for blood loss not shock.

That sums it up right there.  Little twigs and branches (or skull) can deflect a bullet but even a tumbling bullet will still carry enough momentum and energy to do it's job.  An arrow might not.  An arrow hitting it's target at an off angle might not penetrate.

Edited by Elmo

No, the problem is when those that won't/can't decides to look upon those that can/will as someone beneath them.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

You can't be talking about head shots with a bow... anyone who believes they are proficient at head shot archery kills is delusional as well as unethical... there is no such thing... you may be proficient at hitting the head, but chances of recovering a dead deer would be slim.. kind of like saying a hoof shot would be a good shot just because you can hit the hoof. If you're talking about a gun shot that would be different... but the OP was about an archery head shot ONLY!

• Like 2

You can't be talking about head shots with a bow... anyone who believes they are proficient at head shot archery kills is delusional as well as unethical... there is no such thing... you may be proficient at hitting the head, but chances of recovering a dead deer would be slim.. kind of like saying a hoof shot would be a good shot just because you can hit the hoof. If you're talking about a gun shot that would be different... but the OP was about an archery head shot ONLY!

Pointless man, he is the head hunter deer "destroyer" .. Like hittin ur grandma over the head with ur boot, still gonna have something to say about it...

During archery season a few years ago I shot a doe from my son's tree house . The tree house has drop down windows . The doe was approximately 20+ yards away and down hill . When I released the arrow , the bottom of the bow ticked the window casing and I caught her in the back of the head and out an eye . She was flailing on the ground . I started to try to cut her throat but knew better . I put another arrow in her and she expired . I felt like crap about the bad hit and would not take a head shot on a deer purposely .

Does it really matter what I think about headshots? This thread is obviously one created for the sole purpose for those that don't to hate and belittle those that do.

In my book, if a hunter has the confidence and ability to legally and ethically take down a deer with a headshot, he has every right to do so. I certainly wouldn't advocate it to most of the hunters on this forum, as most can't hit the side of a barn.

We've had our disagreements, but if you are trying to bait me into a low-ball back and forth insult contest, save yourself the trouble. If you want an adult discussion/debate, I'll be glad to oblige.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I apologize if it looked like I was trying to bait you. I was just trying to get you to make a clear statement of where you stand on the subject. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It would be a boring thread if everyone all agreed and held hands.

My accidental head shot experiences:

1) My 1st year bowhunting I was still hunting and saw a buck. He was at about 40 yards and I shot. I heard it hit and he took off running. Very good blood trail all the way to the deer. When I found him I was shocked and horrified to see the arrow sticking out of his neck just behind the jaw (not totally a head shot). The broadhead severed the jugular. I was aiming at his chest when he shot. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I certainly did not hit where I wanted to. It could have gone a lot worse, I just got really lucky. That was several years ago.

2)  3-4 years ago I was in a tree on opening day in CT. I saw a coyote and lip squeaked it in. It was slightly quartering to at 10 yards so I waited until it turned its head away to expose the chest. At the shot the coyote dropped on the spot. When I got down I saw that the arrow had struck 1/2 cm above the left eye and exited just above the right ear. The only thing I could think of was the coyote snapped its head back towards me when it heard the string drop and intercepted the arrow.

Both examples are reasons why the head shot is not a viable decision. The margin for error is so small and even the slightest movement on the target end can result in a disaster. (Example- the doe in NJ this past season) It doesn't matter if you name is Oh Jin-Hyek and you can robinhood an arrow at 70 meters with a recurve; when hunting you are not in complete control of the situation.

As bowhunters we don't need bad press. Deer with arrows sticking out of their heads under backyard bird feeders really hurt our image. Even if a hunter could consistently pull the head shot off it would only encourage others to attempt the same.

A shot aimed at the heart will still hit other vitals and kill the deer if the arrow strikes within 4" of the point of aim. There's a lot more leeway and allowance for hunter error or the deer moving.

• Like 1

I would not even think of attempting a head shot with a bow, but a rifle, provided it's at a closer range, you bet your aZZ I would.

I've made that shot many times over and every single time the deer never knew what hit them.  However I count myself as a good shot, wouldn't try it if I wasn't confident. What is the difference people are pointing out in wounding one in the head or the body??? deer will still likely die either way, the only difference is a smaller target. If you can shoot with acceptable precision to make that shot time after time, then why not?  Definitely not a shot for someone bad with the buck fever trembles!  Got to keep a steady hand!   The good thing is NO ruined meat!  Now don't kill me ethics police!!!! LOL

• Like 1

My dad shot an 8 point this year with his .308 right behind the right eye all he could see was his head. It went 5 feet. He quit bow hunting even though he did it for 30 years. He said the same thing gun yes bow nope.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

He uses a quote by Thomas Jefferson as his signature. Problem is he did a poor job editing it so it always looks like part of this post instead.

Looks good on my phone lol its spaced out and everything might have to get on the computer and adjust it. I've only ever got on this forum with my phone and it looks good on here.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Edited by breethwithme

Who cares if he was a slave owner africans sold there own people to be enslaved in the first place I could see if whites went to africa and just took people but that's not how it went down. slavery has no color whites have been enslaved more than blacks ever thought of being. And who don't like a little chocolate now and then. They indulge in our women but that's ok lol

"""The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson"""

Who said history lessons are boring!? Who said people in NY aren't ********!? I will put my signature to whatever I want. that's what a signature is for. Are you a forum virgin lol """The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson"""

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
inappropriate language. Please keep it clean.