Gun Registration in NY

I had someoe break in and steal my guns about two years ago. I bought a newer 870 off a guy I know a few years back who lives in VT. He bought the gun from Dicks in Saratoga. The Washington County Sheriff (NY) called him when they recovered the gun, and he in turn got a hold of me. He couldn't rmember my last name so he had to go through mutual friends. I had all my documented (SN#'s, photos) on my guns and recovered all of them. Now they have info on all my vintage firearms obtained before the SAFE ACT so they are all in the system. They know exactly what I own, and if I were fond to be in posession of another firearm without getting a backround check I lose everything. I have family guns passed down through the years so what am I supposed to do if I want to go to one of my family members and want to take a particular family heirloom out in the field? We both get felonies? This law is such a POS for so many reasons, it makes criminals out of us law abiding citizens.

The form you fill out to buy a gun (4473) stays in the store for 15yrs. or until the store goes out of business. It is not sent to the FBI or any other agency. But The feds could easily audit the store and get those forms, to find out who has what.

This may have been asked already, but I recently bought a shotgun at Gander Mountain.  Now does my serial number and information go in some type of database where the government knows I have the gun? Or do they not know....not paranoid just curious about this

I'm pretty sure that information is retained by the gun dealer...........at least that's how it was done, it may have changed.

Just don't get caught crossing the NY state border with ammo or you can get charged with felony possession of ammo. Remember it may have already been in your trunk when you went to visit PA or NJ, but you are now "guilty until proven guilty" in the laws eyes. The rules have changed and no one seems to have noticed.

Where are you getting that from? I have read the safe act cover to cover and I didn't see cross state line possession even mentioned?

Where are you getting that from? I have read the safe act cover to cover and I didn't see cross state line possession even mentioned?

I'm guessing most haven't read the law it in it's entirety, much like the hunting regulations that most don't read....................they just hear bits and pieces and go with it, I've read a few things in this thread that have left me scratching my head.

I'm seeing lots of conflicting information here....but I do believe that my name and serial number of my gun have gone into a federal database of some sort

as of now, there is no state or countrwide database where your name can be typed in and all your guns show up, (unless it's a handgun and I'm fairly confident that info is kept by the agency who issued the permit)..............manufacturers keep track of who they distribute their guns to, so all the manufacturer knows is what gunshop they sent it to...........the gunshop then keeps the record of who they sold it to.......after that, with private sales, the gun eventually got "lost"........of course, with the new law that last part should be eliminated.

I wonder of we could put up a forum on the political site just for the safe act. Kind of a way to get out information share events and groups etc.  Just a thought.

I'd like to go one step further and suggest a main heading about the SAFE. act. Let the lawmakers know this could be a future deciding factor in their political careers with voters. Make it easier for a search on this forum. Something as important as this deserves a main heading.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

as of now, there is no state or countrwide database where your name can be typed in and all your guns show up, (unless it's a handgun and I'm fairly confident that info is kept by the agency who issued the permit)..............manufacturers keep track of who they distribute their guns to, so all the manufacturer knows is what gunshop they sent it to...........the gunshop then keeps the record of who they sold it to.......after that, with private sales, the gun eventually got "lost"........of course, with the new law that last part should be eliminated.

Sources?  Remember, I asked the question.

and placed on hold for a year until after the 2014 elections.  Most have no clue what it is about and will not get pissed or involved until after it hits them.  Message of necessity my a*&

Is this a fact or rumor?  I have not read any info on this yet.

Edited by ncountry

I'd like to go one step further and suggest a main heading about the SAFE. act. Let the lawmakers know this could be a future deciding factor in their political careers with voters. Make it easier for a search on this forum. Something as important as this deserves a main heading.

I agree. First thread should be the roll call voting record of who votes for this

• 3 weeks later...