Skiing...

josephmrtn

I sprained my knee when I was in 5th grade skiing on my parents skis from the late '50s (this happened in the early 90s). I spent 3 hours dragging myself back to the house, freezing cold and crying. Good times.

I skied a little in my teen years and had a lot of fun, got real confident too. I worked at Killington VT for a season after high school. That was a blast. I picked up snowboarding and had a good time.

Well im back! and still alive!!! :)

started out 3am yesterday morn, met at local walmart, group rode down in 2 vehicles got there a little after 7 and met at burger king for breakfast, once everyone got there we headed up to the lodge passed out lift tickets and filled out the waiver form :) got our rental gear and suited up... i headed out and put my skis on, a few girls from our group were making a run down the bunny hill so i followed em to the lift and them proceded to make 5 runs down that hill without falling once... i then grew bored (lol) so i headed over to the  mardi gras trail with a few of my friends.... the first time down i pretty much held it strait lol but after a few times i could stop and turn no prob... the first time down i came into the lift area and turned sideways to stop it was icy so i went sliding a little and then hit a puddle of slush lol down i went! hopped back up and headed up the lift went down that hill a bunch more times and fell once or twice more on that ice patch at the bottom till i figured out its better to just go across it and stop on the other side :) next i tried cindys run, held it strait almost the whole way down :) scared myself pretty good lol kept goin down it for a while and then moved over to some of the trails in the woods... i ran, independence, candy cane, crystal, fire lane, mistletoe and punch bowl... that kept me and one of my friends busy for a while :) then we headed in (down mardi gras) and ate lunch that we had brought along in the lodge... headed back out after lunch and hit mardi gras a few times before heading over to cindys run again... they had the snowmakers going full blast and i didnt tuck my mask in behind my goggles good..... felt like someone sandblasting my face! about 3/4 way down i was holding it strait just trying to get off the hill as fast as possible (since i was cold lol) and i somehow lost it in the powdery snow... went flying and landed on my face and slid a ways (i noticed a bit later at the bottom of the mtn that i had hit so hard i cracked my ski goggles)... i unhooked from my one ski (the other one had come off) and walked back up and grabbed it came back down put em both on and skied at a slightly slower pace the rest of the way off the mtn... by this time i was FREEZING so i went in and changed my socks (nice wool ones!!!) and warmed my hands up, then i headed back out for the group pics :) we all headed up mardi gras and got our pics taken at the top... after which we got a video of us all skiing down... after that i pretty much stayed on cindys run and mardi gras (also northwind a couple times) for the rest of the day... except for one run down explorer/lower woodstock... i would have tried the chute or yodeler but they had the snow makers running and i didnt wanna try it... then we met for supper in the lodge at 5:30 (18 large pizzas) we ate and hungout for a while (payed the group leader for the lift tickets and rentals ect) and then headed home... terrible driving conditions most of the way! the closed part of the 90 JUST after we went thru it and the 81 was closed so i think we came home on the 11 (im not sure since i fell asleep a little before we got off the 90 at SYR... woke up back in the walmart parking lot :) greeted by gale force winds and heavy snow, me, my uncle and one buddy hopped in my buddies truck and headed home... long story short it was a total whiteout and he tried taking a back road.... wrong move......... we ended up in the ditch in his silverado 3500 and had to have someone come pull us out (THANK GOD for long lasting cellphone batteries and heated vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!) we made it home by around 12:45 all in all it was a super fun time!!!

WebSiteTrailMap_lg.jpg

been skiing at the "Valley" off and on for 30 years...watched it develop over the years. About a 25 minute drive from where I live. If you like the night life, then the village of "E" Ville is the place to be...just bring your money. Nothing cheap in the village during high season. Dina's is a very nice restaurant. If you like it simple, sit by the outdoor fire with coffee in the Adirondack chairs at the Coffee culture....ooops...you said you just did the ski thing....never mind....

• 5 weeks later...

I got to ski my favorite childhood ski area this past weekend. Big Tupper  opened for the 1st time in 2 years this past weekend. It was shuttered for around ten years . A local group of volunteers are running it at the moment .A real bare bone operation right now, but an awesome small mountain if someone can get it going again..