Ammo sales background checks suspended indefinitely

That will be great if it gets th them before Obama can appoint another lib or two.  

That is why I think it should be priority to put this thru the courts as quickly as possible.  Putting ALL efforts on spanking the NYS politicians who voted for it won't get this law repealed in the short term if ever.

I was at the local shop yesterday.  he told me the only thing he has heard is it is delayed indefinitely.  You can not test a system that is not up and running yet,  We have been fed little bits of info for a year and trying to put the pieces together.  They are not going to hand it ll over now. 

So, rumor has it that you need some kind of registration card proving ownership of an AR style gun before you can purchase ammo that can be fired from AR style rifles. If that is so, I am assuming that store owners would have already been advised as to the nuts and bolts of that part of the law. Database or no database, any ammo seller should be able to answer whether or not that is just B.S. or not. Has anyone asked any ammo dealer that direct question yet?

So, rumor has it that you need some kind of registration card proving ownership of an AR style gun before you can purchase ammo that can be fired from AR style rifles. If that is so, I am assuming that store owners would have already been advised as to the nuts and bolts of that part of the law. Database or no database, any ammo seller should be able to answer whether or not that is just B.S. or not. Has anyone asked any ammo dealer that direct question yet?

don't many non assault weapons use the same ammo as assault weapons?.......sounds like B.S. to me.

I really think people are jumping to conclusions here.  I honestly can't see how a store wanting to see some proof of ownership of a gun in the caliber you are buying ammo for as being part of this law.  How will ANY long gun owner, other than one who has an AR rifle registration card be able to buy ammo then?  Only NYC has long guns registered, everywhere else in the state long guns aren't registered.  For this reason alone, I can see this law being thrown out in any court that takes 5 minutes to analyze what is transpiring here.  It just proves that this law was put into effect without a minutes thought.  How in hell can gun owners be denied the purchase of ammo, when there is no state database of who owns what gun in what caliber??  How can it be verified?  If the proof of ownership is indeed part of this law, then get this to the courts and it will get thrown out for sure.  For unenforceability if for nothing else.

I don't see how we can discuss, debate, analyze the rules when we haven't been clearly told what the rules are. I'm not sure even the "representatives" know!

Just to clarify, earlier someone said that ARs are the only thing that has to be registered. Not true.  ANY weapon which is classified as an assault weapon by the SAFE act AND those which were classified as assault weapons prior to the SAFE act must be registered. That includes a lot of semis.

I don't see how we can discuss, debate, analyze the rules when we haven't been clearly told what the rules are. I'm not sure even the "representatives" know!

Many of those "representative" voted on this with out even reading it because there wasn't time. All the more reason to send them looking for a job and McDonalds. If you don't have time to read and understand how a bill effects the citizens you represent the default vote is NO

• Like 1

Many of those "representative" voted on this with out even reading it because there wasn't time. All the more reason to send them looking for a job and McDonalds. If you don't have time to read and understand how a bill effects the citizens you represent the default vote is NO

You talking about SAFE or OSLAMACare? ;-)

I have no idea where some people come up with this stuff. Its not in the law. The law is available to be read in its entirety online.

This was put in place a year ago. Should have been stocking up before now Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

Again, if you could find it.  I can't remember the last time I saw bricks of .22LR's that you didn't need to take out a mortgage for, IF you could even find them.

yup should've definitely stocked up within reason before now.  I've stocked up on a 223 Rem Black Hills varmint round, a Fusion 30-06 deer round, and a specific CCI 22lr round.  the 22lr is 1200 fps which isn't ideal for bullseye pistol but at least I've got all the same stuff.  I couldn't and still can't get a hold of standard velocity 22lr, except for ridiculously priced Eley.  Midway had cases of standard velocity Norma 22LR in stock.  Could've ordered that if not for this whole law issue we've got and Midway closing shop to NY.

Don't forget that this ridiculous law includes semi-auto shotguns (thumb-hole, collapsible, or fold-able stocks that have a pistol grip or the capability to have a muzzle brake or flash suppressor screwed on it).

Now can't get an adjustable stock that fits you and the mrs or teenage daughter and have muzzle brake to reduce the recoil so she doesn't hurt herself on a 12 gauge.  Now would have to but a 12 gauge for you and a shorter 20 gauge for her.

Most of these guns are design to hold 3-5 rounds only.  A revolver with spare, preloaded cyclinders is more of an assault weapon than the civilian shotguns are.

I doubt you need a certificate to by ammo for any caliber, otherwise you would one to purchase ammo for a 20 gauge single-shot too.  But then, we do have many idiots in office, and some that are  too lazy to read what they are voting on.

My rep vote no, due not enough time to review the bill to make an informed decision.  However, they are not running again :(

Don't forget that this ridiculous law includes semi-auto shotguns (thumb-hole, collapsible, or fold-able stocks that have a pistol grip or the capability to have a muzzle brake or flash suppressor screwed on it).

Now can't get an adjustable stock that fits you and the mrs or teenage daughter and have muzzle brake to reduce the recoil so she doesn't hurt herself on a 12 gauge.  Now would have to but a 12 gauge for you and a shorter 20 gauge for her.

not true.  My 500 12ga Mossberg has a Knoxx adjustable stock (recoil reducing), a pistol grip, and a muzzlebreak on it and it's totally legal. It's a pump vs semi.  I really don't see the big deal about semis anyhow, anyone should easily be able to handle a pump.  With the Knoxx stock on it a youngster could shoot slugs from mine in a teeshirt, no problem.

not sure where everybody is getting stuff either.  every part of the law as it's written applies with the exception of background checks and reporting through the NYSP, as the system isn't available yet.  ammo cards and proving you've got a gun for the ammo can't be implemented unless the law is changed or it becomes a specific store policy.  for example by law you don't need to show a pistol permit to buy 9mm or 357 mag because rifles, long guns, exist that shoot them.  however, if you go buy ammo for them at Walmart or Dick's they'll ask for your permit; store policy.

that's my understanding.

..."muzzle break" (lol!) and 7 round limit from Skretny's decision being a gray area exception too, as technically the ruling only applies to the 2nd circuit western district of NY.  however, other districts and authorities have stated their positions respecting his decision on grounds of ethics or legally covering their butts.

Edited by dbHunterNY

bluecoupe,

I was referring to the semi-auto's.  I can use a pump-action, but not comfortable with it. 

With a semi, I can keep my eye on target easier for a follow up shot. 

The balance changes while you pump the pump-action.  It just feels wrong to me.  Maybe that's from starting out with a sxs in my youth.  Minimal body movement, easier to keep on target.

As I said this came from a reliable source.  I also said I had not checked it all out yet.  It came from a person who voted against this dumb ass law last year.  There is a political reason this is being delayed.  He told me this was part of the reason.  if this starts before elections, the king will be gone in a heartbeat.  As law makers they are supposed to get updates about how this is going.  There have been none.  Two track my question would be would they have voted no if they had read it.  A no vote does not necessarily mean they are against it.  And did your rep stand against the message of necessity to have time to read it.  That I know the answer to as no representative stood against the message of necessity. 

bluecoupe,

I was referring to the semi-auto's.  I can use a pump-action, but not comfortable with it. 

With a semi, I can keep my eye on target easier for a follow up shot. 

The balance changes while you pump the pump-action.  It just feels wrong to me.  Maybe that's from starting out with a sxs in my youth.  Minimal body movement, easier to keep on target.

Just practice. Either the gun doesn't fit you or you need to work on your form, or both... but I'll hush as we got off on a tangent

Question ??   Once WE would have a back ground check & pay the fee why would we ever have to pay again once we are in the system ?? Also where does the fee money go & who gets it ??  If this all happens gun owners should insist the money goes into the conservation fund or the some  shooting sports orgs.  Its all BS !

Question ??   Once WE would have a back ground check & pay the fee why would we ever have to pay again once we are in the system ?? Also where does the fee money go & who gets it ??  If this all happens gun owners should insist the money goes into the conservation fund or the some  shooting sports orgs.  Its all BS !

in the law. EVERY purchase must have one. not once. not once a year. not even once a week. EVERY purchase. how are you going to like that when Gander or some other retailer decides to place a 3 box limit on you. that will be $20 added on every 3 boxes

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

It came from an assemblyman friend who voted against it last year is where.  I suppose you are going to claim you read every word of it to disprove this.

Maybe your friend can point it out. Just read it again (yuck) and could not find that anywhere.