Legal tree stands on state land?

mossy725

I hope this is the right forum to post this.

I've been hunting state land a bit, and have found MANY pressure-treated built stands, that are chained to a tree, on state land.

My understanding was that only temporary stands are permitted.

Does anyone know what really is true, in regards to what stands are permitted on state land?

You can have temporary stands on state land. Climbers, hangons and ladder stands are OK as long as there isn't anything screwed into the tree. If you leave the stand in the woods you take the chance that someone will want it more than you do! I take that chance but use 'economical' stands from Sportsman's Guide. I also put them in places the average slob would not make the effort to get to. If you know of homemade stands nailed to the trees the local ECO or Forest Ranger might be interested.

• Thanks 1

If it's chained and not nailed...I suppose there is an argument for not being permanent because it's not nailed into the tree. Would be no different than a metal store-bought stand chained to the tree.

Kind of a grey area, but if it's not nailed, I suppose it could be argued as temporary, as long as it's taken down at the end of the season.

If it's chained and not nailed...I suppose there is an argument for not being permanent because it's not nailed into the tree. Would be no different than a metal store-bought stand chained to the tree.

Kind of a grey area, but if it's not nailed, I suppose it could be argued as temporary, as long as it's taken down at the end of the season.

I believe you hit the nail on the head...no pun intended. I have used portable wooden ladder stand on state land. strap it to a tree. they are very cheap to build and you need 3 men to drag them in and set up....so chances are no one is going to steal them...if they do, they really worked for it.

I don't believe there is any requirement that a stand needs to be taken down "at the end of the season"...what season...lol. I use to just release tension on the ratchets and leave them in place.

I thought as long as the tree was not damaged in anyway, any stand was good..

I know of a few home mades on states land that are permanently there though.. someone even used a 'olive drag' painted alum extension ladder for one.. I have left a few stands out for the season, but secure the foot platforms in the upright position with the cable locks so they are unusable by everyone else without a key, or bolt cutters..  8)

Spoke to an ECO officer, and word for word, he told me that because they are so limited on the area they can cover - because there are so few of them, that if I saw 'illegal' tree stands (those chained and/or bolted to a tree), that I could either tag it and call him, or rip it down myself.

He explained his frustration in that they are way too understaffed, and a lot of guys that put in these 'permanent' stands are baiting the deer.

Interesting.

chaining a treestand to a tree does not meet their definition of and illegal treestand though....if that were true, lok-on stands wouldn't be allowed

When speaking to the ECO officer, he said that chains are illegal, because as the tree grows, the chain will bite into the tree.

I know, some very 'gray' areas in the what's legal and not. I also do not feel comfortable ripping down any stand. Not my job. Was just surprised to hear an officer tell me that.

I don't understand his position. anything left around a tree...even a retchet strap could kill a tree if the tension is not released. on our leased timber property we have rules much like DEC. no nails or screw in steps...nothing that punctures the trees or could leave any metal in the tree. Our ladder stands stay up....end of the season...last man out releases the ratchets and the stand stays in place. tree can grow and no damage done. The next year...up the stand that is still semi-secure and retighten.

I have had 4 stands stolen on me over the years...pitty the poor sole if I catch them in the act.

I thought it was illegal to store anything on public land, including a treestand or blind. I have friends that I go to their "camp" with most years, their camp is basically parking campers up on state land that they have been hunting for years and years. His father has hunted there for over 50 years. We have been told by the encon officers up there that we had to remove our stands when we left. As long as we were camping on the land, etc, they could be up, but we had to take them with us when we left. Otherwise, they could be confiscated because it would be considered storing items on the land.

Just what I have been told.

The ECO officer told me that all tree stands have to be removed at the end of the season.

And again, his position on the chains is that they do indeed harm the trees if left up, and indeed, all of the stands I've come across, have been on the trees for at least 2 years.