Oven Stew (knock your socks off)

Lawdwaz

Last fall I was jawing back and forth with some guys here on a PM and I said I'd post this dynamite recipe up.  It is time............

Oven Stew

2 lbs uncooked stew meat (DO NOT BROWN!)

carrots

celery

onions

mushrooms (optional)

potatoes

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can tomato soup

Cook in a large casserole dish or any ovenproof dish.  Cut up vegetables.  Put meat on bottom of casserole and add cut up vegetables.  Pour mushroom and tomato soup over top, DO NOT DILUTE.  Cover and cook 3 hours at 325 degrees.

OK, now here are the tips.................the meat (if using venison and it better be! ) must be cut up in small pieces, 1/2" x 1/2" works great.  Spray some Pam or other non stick stuff on bottom of casserole dish.  I only use a couple potatoes, cut small also.  Last night when I made it I used a bag of shredded carrots and it was awesome!  Use plenty of celery, 4-6 stalks.  DO NOT skimp on onions, leave them in pretty big pieces.   I used a small can of drained shiitake mushrooms.  Don't mix the meat and vegetables up until it is done cooking; meat layer on bottom them pile the rest high!  I also tend to use too much meat and vegetables sometimes so use two cans of each soup, mixed together in a bowl before pouring over the top of the whole thing.  One last thing, it doesn't need 3 hours, two hours is just fine.  Leave it for 2.5 if you doubt me or your oven is suspect............when the time is up, pull it and stir it.  Served with a little Frank's Hot Sauce and you'll be fat, dumb and happy.   B) 

• Like 3

Very similar to what I do but I've had excellent results with a crock-pot. I like that I can mix everything in the crock the night before, stick it in the fridge, then drop it in the cooker in the morning and come home to eats.

I like that I can keep the venison chunks bigger, 1" to 1-1/2" cubes in the crock. You can cut it with a spoon when it's done anyways.

Try a tsp or two of worcestershire sauce either way, and a light coating of fine flour on the meat works as well.

• Like 1

Very similar to what I do but I've had excellent results with a crock-pot. I like that I can mix everything in the crock the night before, stick it in the fridge, then drop it in the cooker in the morning and come home to eats.

I like that I can keep the venison chunks bigger, 1" to 1-1/2" cubes in the crock. You can cut it with a spoon when it's done anyways.

Try a tsp or two of worcestershire sauce either way, and a light coating of fine flour on the meat works as well.

I like the smaller pieces they seem to be a bit more tender.

samples?

Damn the luck........I just choked down the last of it!  I took a Rubbermaid container of it up to Bob (he works nights at the corner of Main & Kensington) last night.  It would have been just right for you............ :O

He's a good guy but has no family, lives alone and I'd think doesn't eat great.  Others drop off meals to him also so once in a while I'll run up with some grub.  He seems to really appreciate it and is still alive................................... :O

• Like 2

All Right!! 

Glad you guys enjoyed it.   It is easy to prepare, easy to adjust to YOUR tastes, easy to make ahead and pretty darn tasty.

I just had a another good one tonight, a chicken bruschetta dish that was as easy as the above and darn tasty.  I'll post that up later........................

All Right!! 

Glad you guys enjoyed it.   It is easy to prepare, easy to adjust to YOUR tastes, easy to make ahead and pretty darn tasty.

I just had a another good one tonight, a chicken bruschetta dish that was as easy as the above and darn tasty.  I'll post that up later........................

I expect a new recipe from you on a regular basis.... :bye:

I love to cook and will share some of my faves as well, thanks again for the stew