Kids age

YFKI1983

21 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Come on Dad invest in a buddy heater......they are an absolute life saver. We have been down to long sleeve shirts inside a blind on a 25 degree day!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

don't have enclosed box blinds. only the pop up ones. could i suppose close up windows more in the front? she's got new coveralls this year. she'll be bundled.

don't have enclosed box blinds. only the pop up ones. could i suppose close up windows more in the front? she's got new coveralls this year. she'll be bundled.
I maily hunt out of hub blinds as well.....windows open it still gets cooking in there. Get a small one to keep near her and it's easy to carry in an out.....they are worth there weight in gold.

51 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

19 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I maily hunt out of hub blinds as well.....windows open it still gets cooking in there. Get a small one to keep near her and it's easy to carry in an out.....they are worth there weight in gold.

Yep, just did that for the youth weekend. Hunted out of nothing but hub blinds with the windows open. When she got cold I turned the heater on to low and within 10-15 min she was turning it off because she was to warm. 

46 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

26 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Yep, just did that for the youth weekend. Hunted out of nothing but hub blinds with the windows open. When she got cold I turned the heater on to low and within 10-15 min she was turning it off because she was to warm. 

well i might have to look into that now. never bothered with one but sounds like it's a good idea. now i could figure out how to now run out of snacks! haha

Same one I use. I have a hose that will connect it to a 20 pound tank for when I’m gun hunting out of one particular stand but this weekend I just used the one pound tanks. I had 2 with me as well as a 20 pound tank back at the club house so I could refill them if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter was just under 4 years old when I took her for the first time to go shed hunting with me. I wanted to introduce her to the woods and the trails, without lunking all the gear around knowing that she would only last for about 30 minutes tops. She was so proud to have her pink vest and pink camo hat on. I helped her identify deer prints and even a rub but all she got out of it were we walked on trails and that deer live in the woods.  Down here in Long Island I took her to a spot I know nobody hunts Even after small game season was over, because you know there's always a Yahoo or two around. 

She now goes around the house with hangers pretending she's shooting a bow and we talk about why we take deer and the nice things about being in the woods. I want her to be exposed to every element of the hunt, not just the fact that we get an animal. She keeps asking me when she can get a pink bow and come sit with me in my tree stand lol. But we're going to go start with some ground blinds first when she gets a little older.

And she absolutely gets a kick out of when I practice my turkey calling in the truck as we drive around to run errands or to school. At least somebody enjoys it because it absolutely pisses my wife off beyond belief!

• Haha 1

Same one I use. I have a hose that will connect it to a 20 pound tank for when I’m gun hunting out of one particular stand but this weekend I just used the one pound tanks. I had 2 with me as well as a 20 pound tank back at the club house so I could refill them if necessary.

How long is the adapter hose?
I was thinking of running a 20lb tank outta my new Millennium Buck Hut this season.

Mines only a 5 or 6 footer. My buddy has one that’s 20’

That 20' would be great.
I want to build a box with a lid that I can somehow attach to the leg or the cross braces of the platform. Then the hose can come up through the floor.

Thanks for the reassurance. Took him out this afternoon and it was amazing.

Took him to a part of my uncles property full of acorns and made him find them so we can pick a spot. Lasted almost 90 mins and we actually saw a decent 6 pt. I couldn't believe it considering how much he was moving and that he was blowing on the grunt tube for about 30 mins straight lol
20221015_162208.jpg20221015_161833.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Thanks for the reassurance. Took him out this afternoon and it was amazing.

Took him to a part of my uncles property full of acorns and made him find them so we can pick a spot. Lasted almost 90 mins and we actually saw a decent 6 pt. I couldn't believe it considering how much he was moving and that he was blowing on the grunt tube for about 30 mins straight lol
20221015_162208.thumb.jpg.357c5281c25dfcc2c24fcd5373e2e9fa.jpg20221015_161833.thumb.jpg.8db6c00162d81a552681903a0c76fb35.jpg

Awesome! Glad you took him out and even got to see something. Hopefully he’s hooked now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest was probably 6-7 when I took him out.  Around 5 for fishing.  Same with my youngest.  The oldest is 13 now, so there’s that….

My youngest is now 9 and he loves going out with me.  Even better when we get to see deer or get to take one!

my advice is to do short sits close to last light.  If you attempt longer sits early on, they get bored wicked fast.  My youngest can now last 2-2.5 hours, more than that is still pushing it, especially if it’s a slow.

• Like 1

How old were your kids when you first took them hunting? I remember being 7 or 8 the first time I went with my dad.

My son is almost 5 and is obsessed. He's been in the woods a bunch but never out with me. He's dying to go but I don't think he truly understands what it is yet.

Should I try to take him out a couple of hours or too young? I am pretty sure I wouldn't shoot anything with him there. He's seen deer I've brought home but still not sure he knows what happens.

My son is 5.5. I would take him and not shoot something like a pretend hunt for you… but I feel like 7-8 is more appropriate for a actual hunt