Huge spike

nyantler

That's like a Crocodile Dundee spike.....whoa.... Freak of nature...In the mid to late 80's in NC I have personally seen better than. 6....4.5 yr old spikes...jawbone aging by state biologists ...they were heavy duty but nowhere close to that one...these things were the product of poor genetics, poor habitat and overpopulation..2.5 yo spikes were common. They got smart started managing the herd through taking of does....it was buck only the entire season except a day or two thanksgiving & Christmas .before the management started ...place went from a good place to kill a small buck to a good place to kill a wall hanger...no changes in natural forage or addition of food plots just the thinning of herd....good thing the whitetail hunting world has changed in the past 30 yrs

just to clarify. I think it is 3 circumferences and the bases.  hope NY ANTLER chimes in on how to score the spikes and 4's

that's correct.. always 4 circumference measurements per side... in his case you would divide the beam into 4 equidistant points and measure at each point.

• Like 1

The circumference measurements are made between the points not randomly correct?  i.e. an 8 pointer has 3 on each beam, base, between G1 and G2, between G2 and G3.  Or am I wrong?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Always 4 measurements per side no matter what... on an 8 you find the center between the G3 and the end of the beam and measure at that point

on a 6 pt you measure at two equidistant points btween the g2 to the tip of the beam and so on.

this buck would have between 11-14 inches per side of circumference giving it a score of 91-97

Edited by nyantler

Always 4 measurements per side no matter what... on an 8 you find the center between the G3 and the end of the beam and measure at that point

I just discussed this with my scoring mentor on Saturday. He asked me how I would score a spike to stump me. Now I see it's a real possibility!

This is the reason I don't judge big bucks by number of antler points... and why I'm not a fan of using antler point restrictions if you're looking to truly balance buck age structure...

Not sure how this got to be an AR discussion.. I just posted the pic cuz I thought it was a cool buck. I would shoot it.