.22lr

Five Seasons

Why is it illegal?

because unless you're registered with the state you can't sell ammo, at least to another NYer.  that's Penal law around section 400 or so.  so what I'm saying is when I hear of some a guy that knows a guy that's selling 22LR ammo for a ridiculous price out of the back of his truck to some guy that hears he's got ammo, that is illegal.  I'm not sure what the rules are about selling it to someone out of state.

because unless you're registered with the state you can't sell ammo, at least to another NYer.  that's Penal law around section 400 or so.  so what I'm saying is when I hear of some a guy that knows a guy that's selling 22LR ammo for a ridiculous price out of the back of his truck to some guy that hears he's got ammo, that is illegal.  I'm not sure what the rules are about selling it to someone out of state.

You are incorrect. Private party sales are not included in the requirements of the safe act.

I still don't get it.  so i'll have to go look at the law text I suppose.  FYI I take an answer from the NYSP SAFE Act hotline as law no more than asking a kid riding his bicycle down the street.  I know multiple gun dealers who have called that hotline with questions, multiple times with the same question, and gotten different answers.

where are you all getting that private party sales aren't included into the SAFE Act?  just from the phone call to the hotline or from the text itself?  I asked some instructors last night who are pretty knowledgeable with all this stuff and they agree private sales of ammo are illegal.

For what it's worth, I must have put over 1000 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets through my Ruger 10/22 and had only one dud.  I re-chambered that round and it fired the second time.  I had another dud in my Henry Lever Action.  That one would not fire the second time so I just chuck that one.

good to point out the gun. i shoot a ruger 10/22 as well. some guns like some bullets better and vis versa.

so I quickly read a handful of the threads on this topic at NYFirearms and I still am inclined to think it's illegal.  There was some crazy suggestions posted on there, like selling your ammo to a dealer.  Any dealer I know has told me that due to liability they would never buy ammo from a private individual or load ammo if they stock components.  i'll read through the SAFE Act text and where it uses the term "seller of ammunition".  What I'm saying is not a reflection of my opinion of NYFirearms.com I just don't consider an online forum an ideal source for legal advise.

good to point out the gun. i shoot a ruger 10/22 as well. some guns like some bullets better and vis versa.

I know of a guy at the club I go to that had a Browning Buckmark that didn't like anything he put through it for ammo.  that gun is a well received starter too.  many speak highly of them.  like you said each gun can be different.

Under the act, to be a "seller of ammunition" subject to the act, you have to be in the business of selling ammunition.  Thus, generally private sellers do not fall into that category.  I suppose one could argue that they are if they regularly sell ammunition. 

so I quickly read a handful of the threads on this topic at NYFirearms and I still am inclined to think it's illegal.  There was some crazy suggestions posted on there, like selling your ammo to a dealer.  Any dealer I know has told me that due to liability they would never buy ammo from a private individual or load ammo if they stock components.  i'll read through the SAFE Act text and where it uses the term "seller of ammunition".  What I'm saying is not a reflection of my opinion of NYFirearms.com I just don't consider an online forum an ideal source for legal advise.

Seeing as a few of the posters on there are the same lawyers working on the cases to get rid of the safe act, you can walk away from that site with very good, legit info on the laws and interpretations. In fact, if it was illegal to privately sell ammo, they would not be allowing it in their classifieds, as that site is one of the main targets of the antis. They are very strict about adhereing to the laws and making sure nothing illegal goes on with that site involved in any way. Skimming through a handful of threads wont give you the full story.

Read it how you want to, but private ammo sales, at this point, are legal.

so I quickly read a handful of the threads on this topic at NYFirearms and I still am inclined to think it's illegal. There was some crazy suggestions posted on there, like selling your ammo to a dealer. Any dealer I know has told me that due to liability they would never buy ammo from a private individual or load ammo if they stock components. i'll read through the SAFE Act text and where it uses the term "seller of ammunition". What I'm saying is not a reflection of my opinion of NYFirearms.com I just don't consider an online forum an ideal source for legal advise.

Think all you want. Moog's response is perfect.

i really don't mean to argue.  I can understand some lawyers work on the cases most likely know what they're talking about.  I just haven't come across any significant proof that would lead me to think that private sales individual to another individual is legal.  I'm not trying to say it is or isn't. I would just like to have a definitive answer other than everyone just saying to accept it. lol  I think the wording of the definition of "seller of ammunition" when it says "...in the business of..." makes it not easily interpreted without subjectivity.

the reason I seem very non conforming is I read things like this....

http://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/default/files/documents/nysafeact/OpenLetterfromNewYorkStatePoliceSuperintendent.pdf

....which says private sales must be in person with a NYS ammunition seller.  It lists the requirements and lists background checks at the end as a separate item.  The NYSP field guide only addresses firearms with respect to what should happen despite the NYSP system not being in place.  until proven otherwise i'll just assume it's illegal and anyone else do as they please.

i really don't mean to argue. I can understand some lawyers work on the cases most likely know what they're talking about. I just haven't come across any significant proof that would lead me to think that private sales individual to another individual is legal. I'm not trying to say it is or isn't. I would just like to have a definitive answer other than everyone just saying to accept it. lol I think the wording of the definition of "seller of ammunition" when it says "...in the business of..." makes it not easily interpreted without subjectivity.

the reason I seem very non conforming is I read things like this....

http://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/default/files/documents/nysafeact/OpenLetterfromNewYorkStatePoliceSuperintendent.pdf

....which says private sales must be in person with a NYS ammunition seller. It lists the requirements and lists background checks at the end as a separate item. The NYSP field guide only addresses firearms with respect to what should happen despite the NYSP system not being in place. until proven otherwise i'll just assume it's illegal and anyone else do as they please.

Since you are a NY resident and subject to its laws, you probably won't bring ammo in from out of state either?

Since you are a NY resident and subject to its laws, you probably won't bring ammo in from out of state either?

well I suppose I haven't had to look into if it's legal or not, because so far I haven't been inclined to do so.  what do you think? would it be legal?

No one should be buying 22 ammunition to resell anyway.They are just depriving people that need it.I bought a 22 pistol six weeks ago and I can't even get any bullets to check it out. SUCKS..

It sucks man.. Every time my local dicks gets a shipment in the same guys are always there waiting to buy!! I've heard a lot of them have been reselling unfortunately and at about 3 times the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daughters boyfriend at UB got a job at Dicks,wonder if employees can buy .22s when they come in?

Yes, and they do. I know someone that is friends with a Dicks employee, and gets it from him. Once a month the employees buy an entire shipment up for themselves. Thats what Ive been told at least.