Deer movement before a storm

skeets716

Noticed two signifigant instances of deer movement last week, especially right before the Syracuse area got hit with some snow storms.  About 12 - 18 hours before the weather fronts settled in, the deer activity was unreal throughout the day.  A lot of browsing amongst pine / spruce trees and working some small corn fields.  I know they herd up this time of year, I had 11 run across the road in front of me in a "woodsy" stretch between two neighborhoods.  All of the deer look healthy, which I was glad to see with the inclement weather we've had this year. 

Anyone else notice anything similiar in their neck of the woods?  Do you make it a point to be out during the hunting season in advance of a front moving in?

Look at pressure changes. Storms often bring with it pressure changes in the form of the fronts moving into and out of the area.

I believe deer can somehow gauge the pressure change that knowingly or unknowingly causes them to put on the feedbag of sorts to either weather the storm that's coming or to fill-up after weathering out a storm that has just left.

Storms can also be used for specific hunts. A storm that arrives the afternoon prior and clears out in the overnight hours may allow you to make a move on a buck's bed/bedding area. In some occasions, the buck will be late getting back to the bed that following morning, maybe only by minutes, but it can help tip the odds in that situation.

Edited by phade

Most animals have the ability to sense changes in barometric pressure. When the pressure drops they know a storm is coming and will be very active before it hits and they have to batten down the hatches. But during the heavy winter months it is more about catching up on nutrition... they will feed anytime that the weather is good enough where they don't have to expel a lot of energy finding food... for example during winter thaws when the snow leaves for a bit or melts enough so that it is easier to move around.

Keep an eye on the bird feeder. When it looks like the birds are going nuts and every bird in the valley is chowing down, you will also see the deer doing some extra munching. And yes it is a sign of an impending storm front. Works best in winter conditions.

• Like 1

Not just the birds and animals, fish also become very active before a storm or bad weather.We noticed this years ago in a friends bait and tackle store,the bait fish would become very active at thoes times.

• Like 2

So I would guess that it's an evolved sensitivity designed to have them stock up on food energy in the face of a storm. So how come we haven't evolved the same way and run to the refrigerator when a storm approaches .... or do we? I never paid attention....lol.

So I would guess that it's an evolved sensitivity designed to have them stock up on food energy in the face of a storm. So how come we haven't evolved the same way and run to the refrigerator when a storm approaches .... or do we? I never paid attention....lol.

I run to the frig just before a good movie... does that count?

Humans definitely do. Grocery stores are packed with people the night before a storm, preparing for the worst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All good points. Yes deer will feed ahead of low pressure because they know whats coming. I agree with a few of you who like to be out in the tree when the storm breaks. Nothing like the end of the storm when everything starts moving around again. Ill go out in any weather, the only one that really pisses me off is wind. Windy days are the only ones that can keep me in the house. Ive finally learned NOT to hunt certain stands when the wind is wrong. Even tho I want to...its better not to in the long run Better to have multiple stands in case of any wind direction. Im also one of those guys who can tel weather change by the pain in my knees.  sucks.