QDM Meeting with Neighbors

Wow are you brain dead?   I told you that i support QDMA  I use all their thoughts and ways to grow 250 inch bucks every year. It works great.  There are so many people out there that grow the trophy bucks they want by farming by QDMA standards. QDM is farming for the trophy bucks people want. We know it, We get it!

As far as our industry, Most every person in our industry was and still is a hunter and sportsman of all wild deer.. I own almost 1000 acres of wild whitetail land. Can you say that?  Didn't think so!   

You see we support the future and we will be on the forefront of the future.  The extra 5 and 6 extra digits we make a year is just icing on the cake$  You see other people will see what the 6 new farms that just started up are doing/making in their new business and then those people will do the same. You play your game and we will play ours and when the smoke clears we will see who is on top.

Yours will self destruct. Its already started in so many places. It will continue!                  

Let me ask you, Where do you think people will be hunting after CWD runs its way all across the country. Do you think they will be hunting CWD positive deer?

I'm sure you wouldn't hold a conversation with a brain dead person. lol  so I'm sure he's not.  to say you use all their thoughts and ways to grow 250" bucks is a lie or you're not a great deer farmer.  with a deer farm you control the genetics, just like a cattle farm/breeder would.  QDMA standards would tell you a 3.5 year old buck is completely fine regardless of antler size.  if you have a buck that produces a dink set of antlers as a trophy hunter or deer farmer/breeder like yourself you don't want him around.  you may use many of the standards QDMA rolls with to keep your herd healthy.  without health you can't have big antlers.  if you don't think so tell that to the owners of Sudden Impact.  You don't use all of what QDMA practices, because growing trophy deer and practicing what QDMA preaches aren't completely the same.

I hope you've got solid walls or a double fence around your property.  if CWD gets so bad it wipes out that much deer there's a good enough chance an infected one could rub noses with your deer through the fence.  not to mention mother nature messing with your fence.  your deer wouldn't have anywhere to go being in the fence and you'd be screwed.  you can't isolate infected deer because by the time you'd know they were it'd be too late.  heck if I were you I'd lose sleep every night.  CWD is like our cows with pink eye and us with no meds.

Yeah whatever, you dont have an answer and you and every other person that are reading these words knows its true. Hunting the way it used to be is on the decline and will continue. Your happy thought in your mind with QDMA that thinks you are doing your little part to fix something is sweet, but will be for nil.

Hunting land is ate up by the rich( Your piece may be next) and state land will and is ran into the ground. 10 years from now this site any many others will be a thing of the past. Hunting land will be gone. Heck there are guys on here that have to lease.

I have my 2 pieces of heaven to make sure my hunting wont end like that and i also am on the top of a industry that makes and pumps millions into the places it surrounds. 

You say you have plenty of land to USE. 1 phone call could turn your hunting world upside down. Dont ever forget that.!!!!

My piece is already owned by the rich, whom I have a great relationship with, and has been put into a DEC land trust. It cant get developed. While I dont take my access for granted, I work my ass off each year for these people to keep things secure. Dont worry about me, Ill be ok lol.

I think your outlook on things is pretty negative, and I dont share it. I actually kind of pity you for having such a poor outlook on things.

My piece is already owned by the rich, whom I have a great relationship with, and has been put into a DEC land trust. It cant get developed. While I dont take my access for granted, I work my ass off each year for these people to keep things secure. Dont worry about me, Ill be ok lol.

I think your outlook on things is pretty negative, and I dont share it. I actually kind of pity you for having such a poor outlook on things.

lol...Please dont lose any sleep on any part of my great life. I OWN the best of both worlds and will continue to do so.

I'm sure you wouldn't hold a conversation with a brain dead person. lol  so I'm sure he's not.  to say you use all their thoughts and ways to grow 250" bucks is a lie or you're not a great deer farmer.  with a deer farm you control the genetics, just like a cattle farm/breeder would.  QDMA standards would tell you a 3.5 year old buck is completely fine regardless of antler size.  if you have a buck that produces a dink set of antlers as a trophy hunter or deer farmer/breeder like yourself you don't want him around.  you may use many of the standards QDMA rolls with to keep your herd healthy.  without health you can't have big antlers.  if you don't think so tell that to the owners of Sudden Impact.  You don't use all of what QDMA practices, because growing trophy deer and practicing what QDMA preaches aren't completely the same.

I hope you've got solid walls or a double fence around your property.  if CWD gets so bad it wipes out that much deer there's a good enough chance an infected one could rub noses with your deer through the fence.  not to mention mother nature messing with your fence.  your deer wouldn't have anywhere to go being in the fence and you'd be screwed.  you can't isolate infected deer because by the time you'd know they were it'd be too late.  heck if I were you I'd lose sleep every night.  CWD is like our cows with pink eye and us with no meds.

Funny you say Sudden Impact. I have his sons. 1 straw of semen cost me twice as much as someones new Dodge truck. Point is the 250 inches is at 2 years of age. Using QDM for my TDM which is what it is.

As far as CWD. If it shows up in the wild again and then shows up on my farm from those wild deer i get paid for each animal,set my price on the farm and Ny state now owns some new million dollar property.  I'm covered!

Thats my outlook!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Funny you say Sudden Impact. I have his sons. 1 straw of semen cost me twice as much as someones new Dodge truck. Point is the 250 inches is at 2 years of age. Using QDM for my TDM which is what it is.

As far as CWD. If it shows up in the wild again and then shows up on my farm from those wild deer i get paid for each animal,set my price on the farm and Ny state now owns some new million dollar property.  I'm covered!

Thats my outlook!

Good luck with that suit, Mike

• Like 1

Yee-Hah!!! ......Thanks guys for adding a bit of life to the site. Things have been getting a bit quiet here. This thread has taken a heck of a sharp turn from the original topic, and frankly it had run its course anyway. So now what do we have? ...... QDM vs. genetic manipulation deer farms. Actually they are not apples to apples comparisons, but its great that you all are trying anyways. I really want in on all this, but you guys are doing such a great job, I don't want to mess it all up.

Carry on guys and warm this place up a bit. I'll be waiting on the sidelines ready to jump in and stir the pot a bit when things start to slow down ..... lol.

• Like 1

Yee-Hah!!! ......Thanks guys for adding a bit of life to the site. Things have been getting a bit quiet here. This thread has taken a heck of a sharp turn from the original topic, and frankly it had run its course anyway. So now what do we have? ...... QDM vs. genetic manipulation deer farms. Actually they are not apples to apples comparisons, but its great that you all are trying anyways. I really want in on all this, but you guys are doing such a great job, I don't want to mess it all up.

Carry on guys and warm this place up a bit. I'll be waiting on the sidelines ready to jump in and stir the pot a bit when things start to slow down ..... lol.

yea I just wanted to post about the neighbors and I meeting with a QDMA biologist. lol  the hunting here is uneventful / sucks, nobody wants to shoot a doe despite we've got a ton, crops and woods are getting stripped, and we've got fawns with spots in late August to September.  I'm thinking and it was verified those guidelines will solve the problems we have.

part of this is getting buck doe ratios as close to 1:1 as possible and having a good mix of bucks from different age classes.  an approach to this is to protect younger bucks and shoot older ones.

from there it pretty much spun of the axle and caused the thread to careened into a canyon.  reason being the common misconception that the original intention is to produce mature, consequently big, bucks.  as NYAntler put it, it's really only a by-product and not the original intention.  adding to this misconception is the fact that Four Seasons Whitetails (Mike) has used some of these guidelines to produce (really keep healthy) big racked bucks.  similarly others have used SOME of these guidelines to help allow the most free range trophy racks to grow with a TDM approach.  now throw in the p*ssing match of what's better QDMA or deer farms.

bottom line is means to the end goals can be the same but the end goals are different.  now lock my darn thread or someone give Doc some dang popcorn.  while we're at it WNYbuckhunter can hope FSW's bucks start dieing from antler infections and he starts loosing assets equivalent to Dodge pickups.  Culvercreek can then tell him how he's blowing smoke up his own butt by thinking NYS will give him for a natural disaster affecting his business at whatever cost he thinks it did.

HAHA

dbhunterNY  hats off to you my friend for getting involved and trying to get neighbors on board in trying to get more bucks past 1.5 years of age.

Thanks for the post about the meeting and the update.   If you need any help or info just reach out. 

lol...Please dont lose any sleep on any part of my great life. I OWN the best of both worlds and will continue to do so.

Pity doesnt mean I care very much, I just feel sorry that you have such a negative outlook on a sport you seem to enjoy. I also find it funny that instead of doing anything to help the problem, you involve yourself in something that is effecting that very sport negatively.

Yee-Hah!!! ......Thanks guys for adding a bit of life to the site. Things have been getting a bit quiet here. This thread has taken a heck of a sharp turn from the original topic, and frankly it had run its course anyway. So now what do we have? ...... QDM vs. genetic manipulation deer farms. Actually they are not apples to apples comparisons, but its great that you all are trying anyways. I really want in on all this, but you guys are doing such a great job, I don't want to mess it all up.

Carry on guys and warm this place up a bit. I'll be waiting on the sidelines ready to jump in and stir the pot a bit when things start to slow down ..... lol.

Lol, i can always count on FSW for about 6 pages of posts if I rattle his chain.

As far as CWD. If it shows up in the wild again and then shows up on my farm from those wild deer i get paid for each animal,set my price on the farm and Ny state now owns some new million dollar property. I'm covered!

Thats my outlook!

Wow, youre so cool! I hope to be just like you when I grow up lol.

yea I just wanted to post about the neighbors and I meeting with a QDMA biologist. lol  the hunting here is uneventful / sucks, nobody wants to shoot a doe despite we've got a ton, crops and woods are getting stripped, and we've got fawns with spots in late August to September.  I'm thinking and it was verified those guidelines will solve the problems we have.

part of this is getting buck doe ratios as close to 1:1 as possible and having a good mix of bucks from different age classes.  an approach to this is to protect younger bucks and shoot older ones.

from there it pretty much spun of the axle and caused the thread to careened into a canyon.  reason being the common misconception that the original intention is to produce mature, consequently big, bucks.  as NYAntler put it, it's really only a by-product and not the original intention.  adding to this misconception is the fact that Four Seasons Whitetails (Mike) has used some of these guidelines to produce (really keep healthy) big racked bucks.  similarly others have used SOME of these guidelines to help allow the most free range trophy racks to grow with a TDM approach.  now throw in the p*ssing match of what's better QDMA or deer farms.

bottom line is means to the end goals can be the same but the end goals are different.  now lock my darn thread or someone give Doc some dang popcorn.  while we're at it WNYbuckhunter can hope FSW's bucks start dieing from antler infections and he starts loosing assets equivalent to Dodge pickups.  Culvercreek can then tell him how he's blowing smoke up his own butt by thinking NYS will give him for a natural disaster affecting his business at whatever cost he thinks it did.

HAHA

QDM, TDM, Big bucks.. the bottom line is none of it means anything if you're not having fun... One thing I will say about the QDM approach.. most that are doing it (regardless of what my opinion is) are having a great time doing it and it has made their hunting experience exciting... that is really what it's all about...

• Like 3

QDM, TDM, Big bucks.. the bottom line is none of it means anything if you're not having fun... One thing I will say about the QDM approach.. most that are doing it (regardless of what my opinion is) are having a great time doing it and it has made their hunting experience exciting... that is really what it's all about...

Wish I could like that twice.

You bet! Climbing aboard that tractor and fitting the ground and basically "playing farmer" can be one heck of a rewarding feeling of accomplishment when you look out across your finished food plots and see wildlife taking advantage of your efforts. Sure that is satisfying. I certainly can see the attraction. Did some of that myself years ago. Making harvest choices based on the best management info that you can find is also part of it and equally as satisfying.

About the only thing we have to remember is that we don't have the right to push any of those activities on those that don't happen to be as enthusiastic about those kinds of activities. The only time I get a little sour on the QDM mindset is when I sense that holier-than-thou attitude peeking through from some who think that just because they dedicate a pile of time and money toward these activities that somehow those that don't are something less than "true" hunters. I don't have a lot of use for that kind of thinking, and I don't believe it has a place in hunting. Fortunately that sort of thing is rare (so far).

• Like 1

Most people that don't like are the ones who are confused and get frustrated about getting big bucks on the wall.

QDMA is a great group, but there is a subset that has the mindset of doing everything and not killing the bucks they believe would follow. Either mismatched expectations, or the fact they simply don't have the hunter skill to do so. This was a bigger issue about 3-4 years ago within QDMA and now you see them pumping more about hunting technique into their message and re-set expectations. It was nice to see they recognized it as a potential problem.

I would agree with Phade,  improving the habitat (more than just plots), passing 1.5 year old, 2.5 year olds,  is the first step.  Hunting sets that produce, and hunting low impact are key.  Keeping goals realistic is huge, and if you have a expectation of planting a food plot or 2 and harvesting a mature buck year after year... guess again.

The organization has made  a concerted  effort to educate more on hunting tactics.   Giving them what they need, passing on bucks, is the easy part.  It helps if your neighbor is on board to, but these are only first steps.

Exactly.

I would agree with Phade,  improving the habitat (more than just plots), passing 1.5 year old, 2.5 year olds,  is the first step.  Hunting sets that produce, and hunting low impact are key.  Keeping goals realistic is huge, and if you have a expectation of planting a food plot or 2 and harvesting a mature buck year after year... guess again.

The organization has made  a concerted  effort to educate more on hunting tactics.   Giving them what they need, passing on bucks, is the easy part.  It helps if your neighbor is on board to, but these are only first steps.

So lets take this QDMA thing a step further.  You guys are all hyped up about your new club when in fact guys with degrees and years of deer knowledge are telling you QDM is going to be bad for our future.  Explain Please?

QDMA is a group that wants your money like any other group!  I still believe we need to do what we can for the animal but the writing is on the wall for the future.

Really love how the truth is finally coming out of that group about CWD. How it got here and the players in the game of moving CWD.  WE have tested animals.  You dont. The future is clear!

QDMA Member

icon1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipper viewpost.gif
These guys already have their minds made up, and their opinions are obvious because they are in the deer business. They just want to make money....guys you are not going to change the suspicions of us real hunters. You made your money, walk away, the Johnny Q taxpayer is stick with the problem you created. No on here cares about your deer business. 

Fences don't block Cwd, it is already in the wild herd outside the almond, wi slum. Central wi will be a new Cwd unit in a matter of years. Deer hunting will never be the same because of the money hungry deer breeding business. Heck it might get to the point we will shoot deer just so they don't contaminate the soil further, but I hope that is t the case. 

Human greed can destroy anything! Thanks for your info terry!

Dipper -

I'm not sure who you mean by "these guys" but for the record I have no connection to the captive cervid industry nor do I defend aspects of that industry that increase the risk of the spread of CWD. But the fact is that hunters, deer managers, state game agencies and organizations like QDMA also play a role in the spread of CWD in free ranging deer herds and ignoring that role to focus blame solely on the CC industry is hypocritical. The paper that is the basis for this thread has nothing to do with the CC industry. Like it or not, CWD was introduced to free ranging deer in Wisconsin 20 - 30 years ago, probably as the result of hunters bringing infected carcasses back from a trip out west. You can blame the CC industry all you want but the fact is that game management policies and hunter actions are how we can deal with the disease once it's in the free ranging herd, as it is in increasingly large portions of the Midwest. 

The facts are that yearling dispersal and an advanced buck age structure are counterproductive to risk mitigation efforts in free ranging deer. That presents a problem for QDMA, since protecting yearling bucks and creating larger numbers of older bucks in the population are primary objectives of the philosophy. To this point, QDMA has been largely silent on how their policies my be part of the problem instead of part of the solution, vis a vis CWD and other communicable diseases, instead choosing to focus their antipathy on the captive cervid industry, when it's possible that some self-reflection and policy revision might be a more appropriate means of combating the spread of disease. As more and more research shows results such as the ones indicated in this paper, it's going to be harder and harder for QDMA and hunters who hold themselves out as responsible stewards of the resource to turn a blind eye to their own actions and how they may be actually hurting the resource.

Member:

QDMA

MCF

Concerned Sportsmen of Mich

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

So lets take this QDMA thing a step further.  You guys are all hyped up about your new club when in fact guys with degrees and years of deer knowledge are telling you QDM is going to be bad for our future.  Explain Please?

QDMA is a group that wants your money like any other group!  I still believe we need to do what we can for the animal but the writing is on the wall for the future.

Really love how the truth is finally coming out of that group about CWD. How it got here and the players in the game of moving CWD.  WE have tested animals.  You dont. The future is clear!

QDMA Member

icon1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipper viewpost.gif
These guys already have their minds made up, and their opinions are obvious because they are in the deer business. They just want to make money....guys you are not going to change the suspicions of us real hunters. You made your money, walk away, the Johnny Q taxpayer is stick with the problem you created. No on here cares about your deer business. 

Fences don't block Cwd, it is already in the wild herd outside the almond, wi slum. Central wi will be a new Cwd unit in a matter of years. Deer hunting will never be the same because of the money hungry deer breeding business. Heck it might get to the point we will shoot deer just so they don't contaminate the soil further, but I hope that is t the case. 

Human greed can destroy anything! Thanks for your info terry!

Dipper -

I'm not sure who you mean by "these guys" but for the record I have no connection to the captive cervid industry nor do I defend aspects of that industry that increase the risk of the spread of CWD. But the fact is that hunters, deer managers, state game agencies and organizations like QDMA also play a role in the spread of CWD in free ranging deer herds and ignoring that role to focus blame solely on the CC industry is hypocritical. The paper that is the basis for this thread has nothing to do with the CC industry. Like it or not, CWD was introduced to free ranging deer in Wisconsin 20 - 30 years ago, probably as the result of hunters bringing infected carcasses back from a trip out west. You can blame the CC industry all you want but the fact is that game management policies and hunter actions are how we can deal with the disease once it's in the free ranging herd, as it is in increasingly large portions of the Midwest. 

The facts are that yearling dispersal and an advanced buck age structure are counterproductive to risk mitigation efforts in free ranging deer. That presents a problem for QDMA, since protecting yearling bucks and creating larger numbers of older bucks in the population are primary objectives of the philosophy. To this point, QDMA has been largely silent on how their policies my be part of the problem instead of part of the solution, vis a vis CWD and other communicable diseases, instead choosing to focus their antipathy on the captive cervid industry, when it's possible that some self-reflection and policy revision might be a more appropriate means of combating the spread of disease. As more and more research shows results such as the ones indicated in this paper, it's going to be harder and harder for QDMA and hunters who hold themselves out as responsible stewards of the resource to turn a blind eye to their own actions and how they may be actually hurting the resource.

Member:

QDMA

MCF

Concerned Sportsmen of Mich

Mike I don't understand why you keep pulling quotes from another forum.  Like its the gospel or something.

You continue to attack the QDMA, yet in another post you say you don't hate them, and practice the philosophy.   People have asked you straight and honest questions, you choose not to answer them and then go onto tangents that are not related to this thread or the topic being discussed.   NO one here started to bash your trade until you got in here trying to stir the pot with your ridiculous posts.  It makes no sense.  I will say it is a good thing you are not the official spokesperson for NY Deer Farms and man oh man please do us all a favor keep to the subject in the OP original subject matter and please don't forget to take your meds.

Edited by WesternNY

Mike I don't understand why you keep pulling quotes from another forum.  Like its the gospel or something.

You continue to attack the QDMA, yet in another post you say you don't hate them, and practice the philosophy.   People have asked you straight and honest questions, you choose not to answer them and then go onto tangents that are not related to this thread or the topic being discussed.   NO one here started to bash your trade until you got in here trying to stir the pot with your ridiculous posts.  It makes no sense.  I will say it is a good thing you are not the official spokesperson for NY Deer Farms and man oh man please do us all a favor keep to the subject in the OP original subject matter and please don't forget to take your meds.

Yeah ok!   good try at ducking that one.  Its shows you have no answer and you cant condone what is happening.  How can you avoid the fact that YOUR OWN MEMBERS are telling and showing the QDMA what they are doing is counter productive from what science is telling them.  Thats a fact!!!   I said all along that i use some of QDMA's thoughts to grow my trophy bucks, Why? Because QDM is deer farming without the fence.

I am not worried about my trade. Mine is tested and proven but now yours you say lets let these possible CWD positive bucks grow to be an older age of which science shows to be a higher risk.

You may want to look at the Ny board of directors before you spout of to much about where my name sits on the board of Ny deer farmers.

This post is part of what the op started. Its now a proven fact that the very thing the QDMA stands for is a positive direction for spreading CWD around the country. Thats science proven and another fact.  Want to try and duck another one????

I am not ducking any questions....  you are.  Go back read this entire thread.  You have been asked simple questions. 

You wont or cant answer.  Just because a QDMA member says something, big deal. 

National QDMA has not changed it stance on Deer Farms.    I am happy you are on the Board of NY Deer Farms... but your stance, your argument, and the way you are going about this thread is doing nothing to help the cause of Deer Farms.

I am not ducking any questions....  you are.  Go back read this entire thread.  You have been asked simple questions. 

You wont or cant answer.  Just because a QDMA member says something, big deal. 

National QDMA has not changed it stance on Deer Farms.    I am happy you are on the Board of NY Deer Farms... but your stance, your argument, and the way you are going about this thread is doing nothing to help the cause of Deer Farms.

Oh i see. You dodge the question because you dont understand.  You see it does not matter what qdma thinks about deer farms. They know they and high fence hunting are going to be the ones that are going to be the biggest part of their demise in a few short years!

My question to you was..How can you support qdma's thought on letting any buck grow to maturity when in fact science shows that any male whitetail is the biggest carrier of cwd and by them saying let the little guys walk and grow up shows that they do not care about the spread of cwd.  Yet they two face their way along by trying to use cwd against high fence and farms?  

My question was answered about what i and most all deer farmers( because we can all afford alot of land) do to support our wild herds and the hunters we let use our property on both sides of the fence. We can do that!

Oh i see. You dodge the question because you dont understand.  You see it does not matter what qdma thinks about deer farms. They know they and high fence hunting are going to be the ones that are going to be the biggest part of their demise in a few short years!

My question to you was..How can you support qdma's thought on letting any buck grow to maturity when in fact science shows that any male whitetail is the biggest carrier of cwd and by them saying let the little guys walk and grow up shows that they do not care about the spread of cwd.  Yet they two face their way along by trying to use cwd against high fence and farms?  

My question was answered about what i and most all deer farmers( because we can all afford alot of land) do to support our wild herds and the hunters we let use our property on both sides of the fence. We can do that!

I'd like to think that we all can come in here and discuss the original topic without issues resolved in a quick manner.  The idea of forming a QDM co-op with direction from QDMA and what I learned and what was discussed in relation to QDM is the topic of this discussion.  That said you right in that QDM and it's relation to CWD is probably warranted to discuss, but without it continuing to be the main focus of discussion in the thread.  Thorough discussion of a specific topic within QDM should be started as I feel this thread should just be an overview of QDM.

Let me try to give some incite to your question.  Whenever deer are put into a situation of having more physical contact they more likely to spread CWD.  It doesn't matter which side of the fence the deer is on either.  It'd spread quicker in a deer farm setting, simply because there's more deer for a given space.  I would think that's why you take so many precautions of a preventative nature.  That said so many factors go into the spread of CWD in a deer herd within any setting, including the absolute fact deer are very social animals with an uncontrollable tendency to come in contact to one another, no matter what age or sex. 

It is my understanding that QDMA promotes a decrease in overall population that many areas now have in order to sustain a healthy herd of free range deer.  Fewer deer within a given area would prohibit the spread of CWD.  Letting male deer live so that there's a sufficient population to contribute to a short breeding period helps yield earlier born fawns healthier and more capable of surviving in general.  To go to an extreme, without the male population there obviously wouldn't be deer.  Without a sufficient male population a herd can't reproduce quick enough to rebound from a severe case of CWD.  I have no doubts that science has determined male deer big contributors to the spread of CWD as it's in their nature to come in contact with more deer compared to a doe.  However, I believe that the benefits of a well structured healthy herd out weigh the risk of having one of many aspects that may spread CWD, if it were to appear within a herd.  Also CWD is a natural disease... it isn't bound by any rules.  I think there's still a lot to learn to the point that blaming one entity for the spread of CWD and the death of a majority of the deer population is ignorant.

for anyone to bash deer farming or for you to continue to say deer farming will be the demise of QDMA, has no merit to this thread.  Equally, for one to continue to make passive posts with intent to give those who read this thread a negative understanding of one or the other is not condoned in this thread.   as the original poster of this thread this is what I expect of it, which is beyond contestation.