Ladder Stands

ApexerER

We are expanding our lease this year and I want to pick up a couple of ladder stands. We have them spread out on the property but they are all they cheap ones from Dicks. I don't feel safe on that little seat so I strap myself in like I am wearing a seatbelt which obviously isn't very good for bow hunting or rife hunting but there is no way I am standing up on that little step you rest your feet on. I always tell people I am not afraid of heights I am afraid of falling. I can be 50 feet up and it wouldn't bother me if I felt like I wasn't going to fall. Is there any ladder stands with say a 3ft x 3ft platform and a comfortable seat that might fold up? If bar came down would be a plus as well.  I would like to get something and get it out there this spring so the deer are don't pay any attention too it this coming fall......

I can't say I am a big fan of the narrow ladder sections now being used. They are not as easy to even the weight when hanging and are more apt to cant. Plus, they become annoying in winter with heaver bulky boots.

• Like 1

Anyone that prefers the safety and security of a ladder stand, forget those basic ones that generally are referred to as bowhunter's stands. Basically a hang-on stand with a ladder attached. Do yourself a favor and upgrade ($$) to ladderstands with larger platforms, flip-up seats, gun rails and higher arm rests, whether the single or double man style. This is one of those situations where you get what you pay for...!

The more "roomy" and secure ladder stands with features on the OP's wish list are generally in the $150(+) range at Dick's. End of season (Dec/Jan), they are discounted and can be purchased at ~1/2$$. I went the route of being a "cheapskate", bought 2X of those small, basic stands on sale and absolutely hated them! So, to me the moral of the story became - If you're not going to or can't sit in them, you've wasted your money!

Edited by nyslowhand

Ya can't beat the Big Game ladder stands, we have 16 of them in various models. They used to make a stand called the "revolution". The seat has a blind that attaches to it and the blind and seat swivel. We bought 10 of those, unfortunately they quit making them.

I prefer the smaller basic stands (not the skinny ladders though). The are cheap and manuverable much more than a full platform. It is a bit different to get used to. I also HATE rests on stands meant for bow hunting. They are a pain and limit shots. Now, as the season goes on, I certainly prefer the larger platforms with bigger boots and bulkier clothing. But I also don't need to be as manuverable either as I usually have the bang stick.

I don't have any problems with the cheap ladder stands from DICKs and have about a dozen of them . As for the foot platform , I install it the opposite way that the instructions show and it gives me about an extra 3" of foot room . I am only 72 but when I get old , maybe I will want a stand with more room so I can put my walker in it too .

I bought a big game ladder stand with a swivel seat. I have it placed so i can watch 2 fields. It has a big platform. Seat does not fold up but it is not in the way when getting up. 2 yrs ago it kinda shifted on me and i haven't really used it since.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/big-game-16-ultra-view-dx-ladder-tree-stand.aspx?a=826536

I bought a big game ladder stand with a swivel seat. I have it placed so i can watch 2 fields. It has a big platform. Seat does not fold up but it is not in the way when getting up. 2 yrs ago it kinda shifted on me and i haven't really used it since.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/big-game-16-ultra-view-dx-ladder-tree-stand.aspx?a=826536

That one looks great! do you know how much it was? They are sold out at the link you posted so there wasn't a price listed....