Lake Boating, anyone have a bowrider?

burmjohn

Lake Boating, anyone have a bowrider?

Thoughts on brands?

Have been keeping my eye out for a 17 footer as a starter boat on craigslist for a few months.  Found a few bayliners, my uncle says they are OK no frills boats, most them are merc's for the engine. 

I used to have a BR when I lived in Florida. I went through alot of searching and advice about boats when I bought one down there.

First, stay away from Bayliner, there are other brands that are much better boats. Theres a reason they are so cheap.

Second, with any boat, as noted above, watch the stringers and floors for rot. Try to find a boat with fiberglass stringers if you can.

Third, look at the electrical system, make sure you dont end up with a mess. Water and electrical dont play nice together.

Fourth, check all of the seals and baffles in the out drive, as well as the transom seal. Ask when the last time the water pump in the lower was replaced. Seals too. I also prefer a Mercruiser or outboard setup to a Volvo/Penta and Cobra outdrive setup any day of the week. Think cheap parts availability and easy to work on (because you WILL end up working on it)

Last, check the hull thoroughly. If you can get the boat off of the trailer. The bunks can hide damage.

And remember, what boat really stands for....

Break

Out

Another

Thousand

:bye:

• Like 1

Man that sucks there are a few bayliners that seemed like are in really good shape right near me to check out too.  What if the boards and stringers are in good shape on those? I checked reviews on them, they seem OK.   Everything else is either out of my range or to old for me to be comfortable with. 

So its like having a wife or girlfriend.

Worst, at least you get kissed from a wife or girlfriend!   Boat = hole in water to throw money in!  I know I am on my 5th one.  Also an o/b is easier to winterize than an I/o.   You have to look boats over good, there is a lot of junk out there that are listed under "excellent condition".    Good Luck.   jmo.,  but  Bayliner would be on the bottom of my list.    

john,

if you find a boat that really interests you and if everything was checked out and came back good you would buy it the best thing to do is have it inspected.

I would recommend that you have a marine survey done on it.  for a smaller boat you are probably looking at around 500 or a little under.

they go over the boat from bow to stern. they do moisture readings on all accessable areas, floors, stringers, transom, gunnels etc.they also do a general electrical wiring inspection. they also do the standard USCG safety inspection of wiring safety, onboard fire supression systems, blowers etc.  you should receive a complete survey report that will list any issues to be adressed.  Some marine insurance companies require a survey and even some banks require them with a boat loan.  any of your local marina's should be able to give you a name and number of a local surveyor. I have a few contacts for surveyors if you need them.

I would also recommend having a marine mechanic do a check on the engine, outdrive etc.  make sure its a tech that is familiar with the brand power units you have. some of the things to make sure are done are, compression tests on all cylinders, check oils for moistures, universal joints, bellows, shift boots, skeg and prop inpection for damage etc. 

whatever you decide, do not make a final decision with out a sea trial.  after the sea trial check the oil to make sure its not milky, also check the oil fill cap on the valve cover as thats another spot the moisture will show up.

good luck, if you need any help let me know.

• Like 1

Bayliners certainly are not on top of the list of manufacturers however there are a ton of them on the water.  I had a 24 foot bayliner that served me well for fishing on the big O many many years and the guy I sold it too still has it in a slip every year.  Its 20 years old now.  I by no means am a gentile boat owner either.  I fished a lot of tournaments out of it for years in some real bad weather.  A few times being out on the lake when a storm rolled in and up to 10 footers.  Basically I pounded the living snot out of that boat and it never sank.  Close but still floats lol.  If you are a part time boater and find a solid bayliner I wouldnt be scared to purchase one again. If you plan on being on the water 24/7 a more quality comfortable boat would be a better choice.  I dont care what brand you own your gonna have an open wallet policy anyhow.  Im on my 4th boat now and its the smallest and most simple fishing boat I have owned.  17 foot bass boat all aluminum Merc outboard no stringers to rot, no transoms to rot etc and there is always always something that still need upgrading or replacing.  Batteries, tuneups, screwed up graph, rod holder over the side, trailer tires, bunk carpets worn out, bilge pump clogged or fried during a heavy rainstorm, it just never ends no matter what size boat or brand, some just are a couple more dollars to maintain than others. 

• Like 1

John

We had an imperial when I was growing up.  Out of business now, but similar to a bayliner in that its lower end.  Served its purpose just fine for 14 years of LO fishing.  The floors did need to be replaced by the time we sold it.  We now have a sea ray and I must admit, its nicer in every respect.  The full fiberglass floors are easy to maintain and should last as long as we want to continue with the boat.  I agree with the others.  Have a certified boat mechanic check everything over and it will undoubtedly have some unexpected issues arise at some point.  The sea ray we bought last year is a 2004 and only had 20hrs on it.  No doubt those hours are true if you saw the boat (looked showroom) and it ran flawlessy all last season.  Be patient.  There are lots of folks that buy boats and never find the time to use them.

Boats don't have to cost much. This is my '64 Starcraft,been in my family since early '70s. It has a Johnson on it that I bought in 84 .

3 generations of my family have skied and fished every year out of this boat.last year I had to put a few hundred into to engine,other then that,a battery every now and then and a set of plugs every 5 years or so.

I doubt I averaged 50 bucks a year in maintenance over the last 20 years.

Now the more crap you put on the boat/ motor your cost goes way up.

My bilge pump is a coffee can that doubles as my head as well....

post-253-0-30571800-1399465311_thumb.jpg

It even sunk once,notice engine all the way under the water line. I was back skiing behind it a few days later. Took cover off let it sit in sun. Had spark ,compression and gas,time to ski again !

Total cost to get it running zero .

post-253-0-27859200-1399465837_thumb.jpg

It even sunk once,notice engine all the way under the water line. I was back skiing behind it a few days later. Took cover off let it sit in sun. Had spark ,compression and gas,time to ski again !

Total cost to get it running zero .

How did it sink??

Plug was in ,boat was left in lake for days.......

Very low transom,pulled it up on Beach that night ,bow in . This lake has a sharp drop off just off shore,so boat was kind of on a pivot point I guess.

My best guess? Even though very calm lake some waves must have over took the low transom,enough water got in to tip boat down on that pivot ,so it went even lower.

The rope I tied it off with was super right, the only thing keeping it from sliding into Davy Jones locker. No services of any kind on that lake ,not even a real ramp.

I thought I may have to pull it out deeper with the jet skis and dump a mag full of 40 cal, through the hull.

I'll,tell you it's now a great camp fire story,and my buddy helping me loves to tell it!

A bass swimming in boat, me banging on everyone's rooms,the boat sunk ,the boat sunk!

Me biting a swimming noodle so it would fit to plug the well holes where the gas lines and steering linkage runs so the water would stop coming in and we could bail.

Oh it's funny now......

• Like 1