quick hunt today

reeltime

a bittersweet day, last night I got word that one of the true patriarchs of the turkey hunting world had passed away Mr. Lovett Williams. his writings and recordings of turkey sounds and hunting information has no doubt helped many turkey hunters become successful in their endeavors of harvesting one of the most prized trophy's in the spring woods.
as I sat against my tree this morning remembering back to when I had first heard of mr. Williams and the first time I heard his recordings of wild turkey calls I realized that the turkey hunting world has lost a wealth of knowledge BUT mr. Williams was a generous man while with us and he shared alot of that knowledge with all of us. He will be missed but will not be forgotten!
I slipped into my spot this morning and set up on my favorite field edge tree, thankfully the deluge of rain had stopped. The first crow called out at 5:55am, GOBBBBLLLLEEE close about 70 yards out in a hemlock. I let him gobble a couple more times and then gave him a few soft cluck and tree yelps on the bomber. He responded with a thundering gobble right at me and pitched out and landed 50 yards from me. gobbled once and strutted right through the open woods to 25 yards before I putted to make him break strut and my hunt was over. 

19lbs.  1 1/8" spurs, 10 1/2" beard.

that burrville bomber from Tim Fralick is absolutely DEADLY on gobblers!

20140501_062811_zps3cdcb4d7.jpeg

20140501_061855_zpsaf405bcc.jpg

• Like 9

Reeltime_

Congratulations on taking a fine NYS gobbler!   I agree with you about Lovett Wiilams.  I was a big fan and listened to his tapes for many years.  He was a kind hearted man who really knew wild turkeys.  I found out he has a website, I think his daughter will be running his business: http://www.lovettwilliams.com/    I hope you have continued good luck during your season.