Sawzall for butchering?

BKhunter

Anyone here every use a sawzall when they butcher a deer. After seeing someone's post on here about Osso Buco I wanted to save the shanks this year and cut them up but did feel like investing in a meat saw so thought I could do the same thing with a sawzall. Just curious if this is a good or bad idea.

just keep your blades seperate from the others. also try to find blades that are not painted or coated..... it washes off but.... also when done make sure you give it a good cleaning........... sucked for my cousin putting in a spare room and trying to find out what died........ other then that you can make very short work of 1/4ering with one of those babies.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old butchers bone saw and it works good. Just need a little elbow grease. (I have never changed the blade and it is years old) I have used my sawzall when i cut of the rack to do the European skull mounts. It works much faster than the hand saw but I find it difficult to get a good straight cut. When I cut up my deer I usually bone it out and only use the bone saw to cut off the lower leg bone. I save the front legs whole and cook them in one of those large roasting pans set at 200* for 12 hrs. the meat just falls off the bones and you end up with pulled venison. But that's another forum.

I have an old butchers bone saw and it works good. Just need a little elbow grease. (I have never changed the blade and it is years old) I have used my sawzall when i cut of the rack to do the European skull mounts. It works much faster than the hand saw but I find it difficult to get a good straight cut. When I cut up my deer I usually bone it out and only use the bone saw to cut off the lower leg bone. I save the front legs whole and cook them in one of those large roasting pans set at 200* for 12 hrs. the meat just falls off the bones and you end up with pulled venison. But that's another forum.

Gonehntn,

Do you mind sharing that whole front leg roast recipe? Would love to try that as it would cut down on my butchering time a lot and sounds delicious.

Use a large electric roaster, add onions, bell peppers, bottle of wine, salt , and pepper. use dry rub of your choice and add legs,(might have to cut the knee joint to fit into pan). Cover with water and cook @ 200* for 12 hours or until meat falls off the bones. Pick up some good fresh hard rolls and add your fav. bbq sauce.  That's it, You can tweak the recipe to suit your own tastes. 

BK Hunter,  Sorry  I am late in responding to your great question.  I personally bone out my deer but use a traditional  meat saw (hand powered) to cut the carcass in half and cut 2-inch thick osso bucco shank sections  from the legs.  I own a saws-all but I don't really think it is required as a decent meat saw is easier to control and is sufficient  for the job.