Early Bear

the blur

To make a dent on the bear population. The state should really let people bait them. I know some people would be against. Look how baiting in Maine and Canada works so well.

Why make a dent? We are by no means overpopulated with bears. The way it is allows for a healthy population of bears. Look at it this way, every NYS hunter who buys a big game license recieves a bear tag and most of those tags go unused every year. If they were to legalize baiting the bear harvest would climb for a few years, but then their numbers might get so low that the DEC closes bear season.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

HUH ?

Sorry lol! It was just my feeble attempt at humor. I was trying to divert people's attention from our increasing bear population in Greene County. You're right though- our bear population is DEFINITELY increasing. I've seen bears in our yard every year for the past five years plus  now.

• Like 1

Sorry lol! It was just my feeble attempt at humor. I was trying to divert people's attention from our increasing bear population in Greene County. You're right though- our bear population is DEFINITELY increasing. I've seen bears in our yard every year for the past five years plus  now.

I used to see Bear in the Windham area but they seem to moving into a whole lot of other places too .  I have this Pic on my trail cam in Durham from 2 years ago !

post-1393-0-33187400-1408630041_thumb.jp

anyone know if you can use rifle in southern zone for the early bear season!? and how do I go about getting some dmp tags? are they available for bears now?  I remember the feeling of bowhunting at Sterling State and coming across some piles of bear scat that made my palms sweat!  Kinda spooky when your not in a tree stand and there is still heavy brush and limited visibility.  Never know when ole yoggie is gonna come out and take a nibble outta my ass.  Sure hope that buck fever doesn't turn into "that's a big bear and oops I just crapped my cammies"!  I know black bear attacks are very rare however its times like that that I wish my trusty 30-06 full of 220 grain yoggie blasters wasn't sittin home on the rack!  But on a serious note I cant imagine the rush of sticking one with my bow!  Gotta be some rush watching one walk through the woods let alone within range of my tree stand!

I know black bear attacks are very rare however its times like that that I wish my trusty 30-06 full of 220 grain yoggie blasters wasn't sittin home on the rack! 

It has nothing to do with logic, facts or anything like that. The mind has a way of magnifying the nearly impossible into reality all on its own. Before you know it, you are walking to your stand in the dark totally convinced that the next step will bring you face to face with a slobbering, growling, female preparing to defend her cubs. Heck, if you work on it hard enough, your imagination can conjure up a bear with rabies .... lol. I remember bowhunting for deer in PA and getting a slightly later start than I really wanted. That put me walking through the woods in that predawn time when there's just enough light to make every stump and downed log look like a bear .... ha-ha. I had my imagination really working at warp-speed by the time I finally got up in the tree-stand. It didn't help that I had to walk next to a corner of a cornfield that was flattened down by bears with scat everywhere.

• Like 1

haha ABSOLUTELY TRUE!  Its amazing how the mind can play tricks on you!  The heavy brush surrounding the trail you decided to take somehow turns into the perfect bear ambush!  Its hard not to  turn shadows into drooling blood thirsty beasts lol I love getting into the woods while its still pitch black out just to get situated before daylight starts creeping through the canopy.  Its amazing how light can change the forest as the day goes on.  While I love my rabid imagination the sight of bear scat is a reminder to respect this wonderful animal in its natural habitat.  I have posted tree stands above massive piles of bear scat in Sterling with absolutely no sight of bear all day.  They are extremely elusive to encounter in their natural habitat.  And I cant even imagine what bagging a massive black bear with a bow would feel like.  I am extremely exited to respectively hunt this wonderful animal in the fine state of NY. 

• Like 1

I have never even been on a bearhunt, but through my ignorance, have pictured what perhaps is a major problem. I am picturing being way far from all means of transportation, and having just harvested a super-pig of a bear. Now I am faced with trying to get this thing home by myself. My vision of the task is something like trying to move a 300 pound bag of jello with no handles. Does this awkwardness of a bear carcass cause any of the problems that I am imagining?

• Like 1

anyone know if you can use rifle in southern zone for the early bear season!? and how do I go about getting some dmp tags? are they available for bears now?  I remember the feeling of bowhunting at Sterling State and coming across some piles of bear scat that made my palms sweat!  Kinda spooky when your not in a tree stand and there is still heavy brush and limited visibility.  Never know when ole yoggie is gonna come out and take a nibble outta my ass.  Sure hope that buck fever doesn't turn into "that's a big bear and oops I just crapped my cammies"!  I know black bear attacks are very rare however its times like that that I wish my trusty 30-06 full of 220 grain yoggie blasters wasn't sittin home on the rack!  But on a serious note I cant imagine the rush of sticking one with my bow!  Gotta be some rush watching one walk through the woods let alone within range of my tree stand!

post-3229-0-48758400-1408795913_thumb.pn

Look at the map that Doc posted from the DEC it shows which areas.

Edited by lurking

thanks again guys! I have heard that when dragging a bear out they get caught up on just about everything you drag em through!  They usually have drop off points at most state parks however if you are on private land hope you ate you Wheaties because your gonna need em!  Food for thought when thinking about a personal training regimen before hunting season.  Don't forget to do some hiking months prior to the hunt!  Turn a scout into an all out predatory workout!

That was funny Elmo!!!  When I was in Roscoe and the big bear was around, EVERYTHING looked like a black bear in the dark.  Lets just say my stalking took on a whole different level.  The 200 lbs bears don't bother me its the mom and dad at well over 400 lbs that made my arrow shake in its rest.  Dam that was fun!

• Like 1

Before you know it, you are walking to your stand in the dark totally convinced that the next step will bring you face to face with a slobbering, growling, female preparing to defend her cubs. Heck, if you work on it hard enough, your imagination can conjure up a bear with rabies .... lol.

Don't forget about the Eurasian boars that we cannot shoot

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Don't forget about the Eurasian boars that we cannot shoot

Oh ok, let's add on to that a bit. While walking into the stand in the dark let's concentrate on an image of some huge Russian boar with rabies running through the woods slobbering and squealing and looking for something to tear apart. Ha-ha .... if I keep this up, I'll be back to hunting out of treestands again ....lol.

• Like 1